Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am a very technically inclined guy. I opwearw and design websites, i have modded every phone i have owned in the last 5 years, either hardware, software, or both. I have rooted/jailbroken the ipod touch, iphone, G1, MyTouch 3G. I am not a stupid person - I am just not in possession of the linux smarts needed to root the Pre.

Not knowing linux didn't stop me from very quickly rooting my g1.

I really do not think that you linux people quite get it. The reason that android has gained such a fan base is because of the dev community, the hackers, and the rooters. Rooting a G1 is sooo simple....and it is more locked down that webos according to everything i have read.

YOU GUYS NEED TO POST A CLEAR SET OF INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO ROOT THE PRE.

-1 set for a 32 bit windows xp operation
    -1 set for a windows 7 operation
    -1 set for a mac operation.

etc....

The youtube videos are okay, yet...not.
    The webosinternals instructions are not a shining example of a well laid out thought process either.

PLEASE stop thinking that everyone knows linux inside out - we do not. We do, however, want the opportunity to be able to make the pre forward sms'. we would also like to do other things that require root. If you guys do not keep the interest in webos up, by making it easy for everyone to enjoy, then their likely wont be a second or third device. Palm is not exactly sitting on a pile of money to throw around right now are they?

The reason the pre is so open is to encourage the dev community to help it build a rep as being easily hackable, jail-breakable. The problem is, it is not easy. I have searched for hours and not found a single easy instruction set to follow. What a shame. I love my Pre, but without some of the added functionality that I had with my android device, i will be going baclk to my android device, and returning my pre.

Sorry for being so long winded, and ranting....had to get that off my chest. Have a good weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by tmojoe View Post
    I am a very technically inclined guy. I opwearw and design websites, i have modded every phone i have owned in the last 5 years, either hardware, software, or both. I have rooted/jailbroken the ipod touch, iphone, G1, MyTouch 3G. I am not a stupid person - I am just not in possession of the linux smarts needed to root the Pre.

I really do not think that you linux people quite get it. The reason that android has gained such a fan base is because of the dev community, the hackers, and the rooters. Rooting a G1 is sooo simple....and it is more locked down that webos according to everything i have read.

etc....

The webosinternals instructions are not a shining example of a well laid out thought process either.

PLEASE stop thinking that everyone knows linux inside out - we do not. We do, however, want the opportunity to be able to make the pre forward sms'. we would also like to do other things that require root. If you guys do not keep the interest in webos up, by making it easy for everyone to enjoy, then their likely wont be a second or third device. Palm is not exactly sitting on a pile of money to throw around right now are they?

The reason the pre is so open is to encourage the dev community to help it build a rep as being easily hackable, jail-breakable. The problem is, it is not easy. I have searched for hours and not found a single easy instruction set to follow. What a shame. I love my Pre, but without some of the added functionality that I had with my android device, i will be going baclk to my android device, and returning my pre.

Sorry for being so long winded, and ranting....had to get that off my chest. Have a good weekend.
    u are a sad one pre is such a great phone which will in the future be so much better, getting to root couldnt be any simpler then following instructions on the wiki website !

Donate Via Paypal to Email Adress: silent2205@gmail.com
    Email: fritos1406@aim.com
    Twitter: @fritos1406
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    i have never messed with my phones except for my instinct to enable teathering and that was simple...so i never have messed with any of that stuff and i gained root access to my wifes and my phones no problem and have moded them with little or no problems.... just follow these instructions its very simple...

etc....

You may have all these accomplishments, but you obviously don't know how to use google or to goto predevwiki, aka webosinternals.org.
    Palm Pilot m100 --> Alltel Razr V3c --> Alltel HTC PPC6800(Mogul) --> Alltel HTC Touch Pro --> Alltel Rokr Z6M --> Alltel Palm Pre

Speed at 70Mph using MyTether using Alltel Hybrid Rev A
    http://i30.tinypic.com/2iu733d.jpg
    Even with my "name" = user ... it was very basic and simple to root. Lay off the extra curricular activities. Maybe what you should be looking for is somebody to do it for you.

Either way ... if you do a little bit of reading/research as fritos1406, warguy, and adactuslatem indicated, you will then succeed. Good luck.
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    I'm not the most technically inclined person when it comes to computing. I have not accomplished anything that you have mentioned accomplishing, and the Pre is the first mobile device I have ever "rooted". However, as luck would have it, I found "rooting" the Pre pretty simple given the sources you cited. Sometimes you have to dig deep and realize, maybe it's not them; it's probably you...

By the way, nobody is obligated to help you, and you sure don't seem to know how to properly ask for help. I wouldn't be surprised if no one does help you until you learn to do so...
    Current device: Palm Pre
    Former devices: Treo 755p, Treo 650
    webosinternals.org is your friend.

And rooting the Pre is simple as long as you can get the novaterm command working. This is easily done by installing the SDK on 32 bit Windows or a Mac.

It is not hard, you are making it more complicated than it is.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I've never "hacked" a phone or really messed around with anything similar to Linux except for dos...is that similar? even then I just used it to run commander keen years ago. I rooted my pre in about 10 mins (downloading time) and now have custom themes, and all kinds of hacks. i play around with it every weekend to see what else I can change. Even though it sometimes requires a webos dr visit. sorry your having a tough time with it....maybe your experiance is making it harder than it outta be?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    its as simple as downloading software.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtemple33 View Post
    its as simple as downloading software.
    Agreed. Downloading just a couple of pieces of free software, and following the directions on webosinternals.org. VERY simple.

Heck, now everything is scripted, so you only type 4 or 5 lines in the whole process of setting up a user and everything. It was a tiny bit tougher before with having to copy and paste a couple dozen lines, but even then, it was just copy and paste.

Now it's literally just a couple of downloads and typing a couple of lines in terminal.
    I use Linux primarily..but only know small bits and pieces of terminal commands. WebOS Internals explains how to root a Pre quite simply. I highly recommend that over things like Youtube videos, as when I looked there for help, I ended up being more confused.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Why do i get the feeling this guy just came on here to bash the pre? g1 fanboy maybe?
    PLEASE stop thinking that everyone knows linux inside out - we do not. We do, however, want the opportunity to be able to make the pre forward sms'.
    As others have pointed out here, it's not that difficult. The directions and the information you need to solve your problem are all available. You need to be able to think critically and look at all of the information that's available in front of you (and it's actually easily available) . As far as "make the pre foward sms' (sic)", I don't mean to be rude, but who is we? The community has put forth a lot of effort to make things open and available; they created hundreds of homebrew apps--and they don't have to. What have you done? No offense, but if you can't follow directions here which many find simple, then what on earth makes you think you'll be able to understand and grasp the inner workings of the operating system sufficiently enough to actually be able to modify it?
    you cant be serious..you just copy and paste like 5 lines..maybe you paid the 30.00 bucks for the jailbreak program like my buddy.he think's he hacked his phone also,but like 2 weeks ago i had to walk him through unzipping a file to his desktop...
    i almost dumped my pre,but these guys here work they're asses off to make it a badass phone.and now it is.i'd say its safe to say that you shouldnt be messing with yours,until the "HACKS" are more download and click friendly.ya feel me
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Not knowing linux didn't stop me from very quickly rooting my Pre
    Speaking of "why" you should be more familiar with an operating system that lets YOU control it and doesn't require you to pay money to regain control of your OS buying anti-virus and spybot destroyers and every and anything else you need to use the hardware you already own.you know, Linux.

Believe me if you can figure out how to keep a windows system running a decent amount of time without being completely compromised or crashing you can learn linux.
    I too did not anything about Linux, commands codes, etc.....but somehow i got pretty much all the hacks onto my Pre....and along the way, i did learn a bit about Linux coding.

Be patient, read and read, and ask questions...most of the peeps on here are very helpful.

HappyModding.
    SD
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    webosinternals.org is your friend.
    Not really. In all honesty, I find that site poorly written. I mean, I appreciate the effort, but still. This isnt exactly rocket science here guys. Its simple copy & paste. I think the big problem with Unix commands & the people that are hip to them is that they assume that everyone else is too & they dont explain themselves well at all while leaving a lot of stuff to question.

I remember when the original 1G iPhone sim unlock first came out. It was for OSX only & you had to use the Unix Terminal for all of it. It was kind of a long drawn out process, but I managed to easily do it because the directions were precise & didnt leave anything to question. Unlike a lot of stuff on the Pre Wiki which seems like its kinda glossed over.

This is pretty much the key. Almost all this stuff is simple copy & paste commands, so there's really no excuse for it not to be a simple process. Anyone can follow directions & it doesnt take a Unix nerd to pull any of this off. This isnt official stuff that gets proof read, so we're relying on each other to make things clear, for everyone, not just a small majority of code monkeys.

Its basically like directions for baking a cake. Just follow what's on the box. You dont have to be a master chef to do it.

BTW, I myself dont have a problem with this. I've done about every hack on here. But I can see how some would find the directions kinda vague.

etc....

"Put the Pre down and walk away"
    Folks from this forum are breaking their backs to make this info pretty simple you just have to READ.. Let my custom Pre give you some motivation took all of 30 secs to read the instructions and less than 3 mins to have this wonderful "ON SCREEN KEYBOARD".. Even if you pretended to be a nice person folks will gladly help you..
    How many times have you seen the Dr.?..lol
    I'm going to do mine once i install windows xp, 32 bit...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast