Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    I'm going to do mine once i install windows xp, 32 bit...
    Yea for some reason i was having issues with my Vista System but XP works flawlessly for me..
    How many times have you seen the Dr.?..lol
    Quote Originally Posted by maddball View Post
    Yea for some reason i was having issues with my Vista System but XP works flawlessly for me..
    i was going to do it on 7 64 bit, but i was having a hard time with the quick install thing..

So i used my laptop...

I don't wanna use my latop for rooting though, cause it can crash at any second...

But wow, i'm loving the pre... I came out yesterday in canada, and it's amazing!

(or 2 days ago since it's 3 am)

I'm still waiting for my phantom skins to arrive though. I kept the ugly plastic thing it came with on for now, and i always keep it in the pouche.. I don't want it to get damage before i get my phantom skins.
    LOL. I don't know how hard it can be to follow about five clearly laid out instructions. Even back in the beginning when you had to install python and then send a really cryptic message down the pipeline, I was able to get my Pre rooted with no trouble at all. These days ... they have detailed scripts that do all the work for you in one step. And this guy is whining? And he claims to have jailbroken an iPhone?

You're either lying or you're not as smart as you think you are.

Maybe both.
    I can see all viewpoints here. Here's the error I believe this guy is finding with the instructions:
    You may not realize it, but if you follow Pre-Wiki instructions VERBATIM, then you won't have any probems. As soon as you lose trust in their expertise and try to shortcut or do it a better way, then you will find that it doesn't work.

Step ONE: Install Prebrew to your computer

Step TWO: Install required drivers; I.E. Novacom Drivers

Step THREE: Once installation is complete, click on "Connect LocalHost"

Step FOUR: Enjoy the Access you now have to the LINUX command line

Anyone who knows this, will know that I left out the DEVMODE instructions, so obviously, make sure you are in DEVMODE:

How To Enable DEVMODE

Step ONE: From Pre-Desktop, type UPDOWNUPDOWNLEFTRIGHTLEFTRIGHTBASTART
    Exactly like I just typed it.

Step TWO: Click the Developer Mode Icon that appears

Step THREE: Slide the slider button to the RIGHT to ENABLE DEVELOPER MODE

Step FOUR: Follow On Screen Instructions to RESET DEVICE

Step FIVE: Install PREBREW and then NOVACOM DRIVERS AS NOTED ABOVE.

This is essentially how easy it is to root your PRE. Do this and follow instructions from ANY OTHER PRESITE to hack your Pre. CAKE!

(Please feel free to contact me if anyone notes an error in my instruction)
    Keep Brewing All Ye Homebrew Underground!
    Coming into the pre, i had very little linux exp. Personally...not a huge fan. However, i am a computer science major and am capable of following directions. When i first got my pre (on launch date), one of the first things i noticed is that it lacked a roaming only option. I soon found out that i could hack my way in and change a few things around. I was able to hack my way in (using windows 7 64bit no less) way back when we were just figuring out how to run novacom on vista. with the release of the sdk and walk throughs being about 5 steps, i find it hard to believe that someone with any decent background in computers cant gain access the the pres linux via putty.

with that said, i found the old predevwiki to be simpler...just saying...
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Seriously how hard is it to dl webosquickinstall and preware.
    It could not be easier, especially now with all of the premade patches, scripts, installers, etc. If you're having so much trouble maybe accessing linux is not for you...
    Like many other there I have never rooted any phone. I know that before i bought the Pre that I would attempt to get into Linux. I must admit that it was not easy but I kept looking at all over the net and i was able to "add new pages, more icons, text forward, file coaster, and preware. You name it I have done it. Oh yeah i have had to reinstall the webos a few times but that's part of learning. Now I back the pre up all the time before I install another patch. Dude it's really now that hard. Maybe you know to much. ..

Good luck
    Hiya Aunt Minnie.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    Not really. In all honesty, I find that site poorly written. I mean, I appreciate the effort, but still. This isnt exactly rocket science here guys. Its simple copy & paste. I think the big problem with Unix commands & the people that are hip to them is that they assume that everyone else is too & they dont explain themselves well at all while leaving a lot of stuff to question.

I remember when the original 1G iPhone sim unlock first came out. It was for OSX only & you had to use the Unix Terminal for all of it. It was kind of a long drawn out process, but I managed to easily do it because the directions were precise & didnt leave anything to question. Unlike a lot of stuff on the Pre Wiki which seems like its kinda glossed over.

This is pretty much the key. Almost all this stuff is simple copy & paste commands, so there's really no excuse for it not to be a simple process. Anyone can follow directions & it doesnt take a Unix nerd to pull any of this off. This isnt official stuff that gets proof read, so we're relying on each other to make things clear, for everyone, not just a small majority of code monkeys.

Its basically like directions for baking a cake. Just follow what's on the box. You dont have to be a master chef to do it.

BTW, I myself dont have a problem with this. I've done about every hack on here. But I can see how some would find the directions kinda vague.

Looks pretty straightforward to me.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I would try to help, but I'm paralyzed into total inactivity with guilt over all of those things I needed to do.

BTW, one of the reasons WebOS-Internals is "vague" is because it's a collection of help from a variety of users.

One user feels you should never log in as root, and instead us "su" for all of your commands (and he/she has a point), thus his/her commands will be different.

Another user decides it's OK to "live dangerously" (albeit carefully), and switches to root user once he/she logs in. His/her commands will be different.

Yet another user installs a set of utilities to make things more simple, or writes a script or two to speed things up (for instance, I never type stop LunaSysMgr then start LunaSysMgr it's always restart LunaSysMgr because I'm lazy and wrote a script called "restart" that says /sbin/stop $1 && /sbin/start $1.

No one is really going to assume the latter, but you hopefully get the point. There is no single standard "Linux", and most people that are familiar witn any form of Linux are going to try to use the Pre in the form in which they are most accustomed.

You probably need to get used to that if you're going to be messin' with Linux much.
    I think the problem is, even though you may have "rooted" your Pre in 10 minutes or whatever, did you honestly understand what in the world you were doing during those steps?? This is my beef with Linux. Without trying to start a flame war here, I've been working with PC's for 20 years and I can tell you there is a crystal clear reason why Linux will always play second fiddle (or third if your a Mac guy).
    Quote Originally Posted by efaucett View Post
    I can see all viewpoints here. Here's the error I believe this guy is finding with the instructions:
    You may not realize it, but if you follow Pre-Wiki instructions VERBATIM, then you won't have any probems. As soon as you lose trust in their expertise and try to shortcut or do it a better way, then you will find that it doesn't work.

Step ONE: Install Prebrew to your computer

Step TWO: Install required drivers; I.E. Novacom Drivers

Step THREE: Once installation is complete, click on "Connect LocalHost"

Step FOUR: Enjoy the Access you now have to the LINUX command line

Anyone who knows this, will know that I left out the DEVMODE instructions, so obviously, make sure you are in DEVMODE:

How To Enable DEVMODE

Step ONE: From Pre-Desktop, type UPDOWNUPDOWNLEFTRIGHTLEFTRIGHTBASTART
    Exactly like I just typed it.

Step TWO: Click the Developer Mode Icon that appears

Step THREE: Slide the slider button to the RIGHT to ENABLE DEVELOPER MODE

Step FOUR: Follow On Screen Instructions to RESET DEVICE

Step FIVE: Install PREBREW and then NOVACOM DRIVERS AS NOTED ABOVE.

This is essentially how easy it is to root your PRE. Do this and follow instructions from ANY OTHER PRESITE to hack your Pre. CAKE!

(Please feel free to contact me if anyone notes an error in my instruction)
    Your instructions are flawless. Now, How do I enjoy access to the Linux "File Explorer" I hate using the command prompt for exploring the file directory. I swear, hitting the "ls" command each time to see each directory/subdirectory can be tiddious and is no good for me.

So is there a way to use the built in File Explorer from another Linux distrobution (I.e. Suse, Red Hat, Fedora, Ubuntu, etc.") or Windows XP??

HEY LETS MAKE THINGS AS TOLERABLE AS POSIBLE!
    you all's postin' in a troll thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prenosicator View Post
    you all's postin' in a troll thread.
    I'm not sure what that means LADY but super secret message received.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12