1.    #1  
    how im suppose to uninstall my tether and the usb driver completlely from my phone and my pc ?
    You can use WebOSQuickInstall.jar and go to the Tools Menu, then Device Management, then check the box for My Tether then click on the uninstall button.
    To remove the driver in windows just go to you device manager then browse down to the NDIS adapter under Network and uninstall it.
  3.    #3  
    thanx man i really apreciate it!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwonderful View Post
    You can use WebOSQuickInstall.jar and go to the Tools Menu, then Device Management, then check the box for My Tether then click on the uninstall button.
    To remove the driver in windows just go to you device manager then browse down to the NDIS adapter under Network and uninstall it.
    That won't remove everything. If MyTether was installed the non-standard way posted on the mytether website, then you'll need to get into linux commandline and manually remove the service.

Oh, one important note, if you installed MyTether via the Installer I made a short while ago, then both the MyTether app and its service will be listed and be available for uninstallation in the WebOS Quick Install Device Management screen
  5.    #5  
    thanx Jason.. but can u tell me how to uninstall getting in the linux, because when i installed i did tru linux and i ll like to remove completlely .
    ill apreciate ur help thanx again!
    Quote Originally Posted by SISGO View Post
    thanx Jason.. but can u tell me how to uninstall getting in the linux, because when i installed i did tru linux and i ll like to remove completlely .
    ill apreciate ur help thanx again!
    Going into linux commandline and enter the following commands:
    Code:
    mount -o remount rw, /
    ipkg remove net.aonic.my-tether
    mount -o remount ro, /
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Note to Jason Robitaille,

Will my Pre have to be rooted to uninstall my tether version 2.0 (donation version)? I am concerned I will not be able to uninstall it now since my Pre is not rooted. Can you provide instructions (I haven't used Linux before) on proper uninstall is done a non-rooted pre?

I have Windows XP media center and a 32 bit processor.
    Last edited by ujsc; 08/29/2009 at 09:34 PM.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Code:
    mount -o remount rw, /
    mount -o remount ro, /

i just get in my pre and write that .. thats all?

i installed like this :

Open up a command prompt (for Win XP) and go to your sdk/bin directory. For me, it was in C:\Program Files\Palm\SDK\bin. See the screenshot below for newbies.

Now, connect your phone to your computer via the USB cable.

Once connected, type this on your command prompt that’s still open:

novacom -t open tty://

You should get a terminal such as below with root@castle as the prompt:

root@castle

Don’t worry, this is where the fun begins, just keep following my directions carefully.

Alright, congratulations! You should pat yourself in the back, you just learned how to “root” into the linux system of your Palm Pre phone! It took me me a long time to figure this out because the instructions were out there but no one documented each step in detail. (and thus point of this blog post to clarify those details for computer dummies like me…)

Here comes the fun part where you install the My Tether free version.

Simply type the following in the root@castle prompt:

wget -qO- http://mytether.net/install.php | /bin/sh

This linux command will automatically download My Tether version 1.5 and install it on your Palm Pre.

Once the install has finished, you should see root@castle prompt pop back up.
    Quote Originally Posted by SISGO View Post
    Don’t worry, this is where the fun begins,
    Simply type the following in the root@castle prompt:

wget -qO- http://mytether.net/install.php | /bin/sh
    If by fun you mean installing MyTether in a dangerous manner, going against the way the system has been designed, then yes, buckets of fun.

I know how to root the Pre...I wrote WebOS Quick Install, it's not as if I just joined yesterday. And last I checked you were asking for installation instructions, heh.

And if you want to install the free version on MyTether in the safer, better, quicker way, just download my installer ipk, and install that with WebOS Quick Install, no rooting or linux access even needed, and completely uninstallable by standard means.
  10.    #10  
    If by fun you mean installing MyTether in a dangerous manner, going against the way the system has been designed, then yes, buckets of fun.

I know how to root the Pre...I wrote WebOS Quick Install, it's not as if I just joined yesterday. And last I checked you were asking for installation instructions, heh.

And if you want to install the free version on MyTether in the safer, better, quicker way, just download [URL=" installer ipk[/URL], and install that with WebOS Quick Install, no rooting or linux access even needed, and completely uninstallable by standard means.

First I need to uninstall the wrong manner like you said lol.. I'm a lil confuse n how to do it... If you could explain me how can exactly uninstall.. I really apreciated it.. Thanx again jason
    I need simple instructions on how to use & set up my tether. I downloaded from homebrew & installed. That is it, I am stuck cause it is not working & I am a big dumb redneck without computet skills. Please give me some simple instructions. Thanks
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Note to Jason Robataille:

Will my Pre have to be rooted to uninstall my tether version 2.0 (donation version)? I am concerned I will not be able to uninstall it now since my Pre is not rooted. Can you provide instructions (I haven't used Linux before) on proper uninstall is done a non-rooted pre?

I have Windows XP media center and a 32 bit processor.
    Last edited by ujsc; 08/29/2009 at 09:41 PM.
    Code:
    mount -o remount rw, /
    mount -o remount ro, /
    Jason,
    Thanks so much for the instructions above. I installed the free version, and it doesn't seem to work via bluetooth or wifi, and need to uninstall it.

I ran a google search and came across your instructions. I wish this could be uninstalled by the Palm app manager. Thanks for your help!

Edit: I tried your commands, and my pre still has a non-functional copy of the free my-tether in it. I'd like to uninstall, but do not know what to do.
    Last edited by isotope; 03/02/2010 at 03:47 PM. Reason: feedback that the commands didn't work
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I am also wanting to uninstall mytether and have been unsuccessful with the instructions provided. It indicates there is nothing to remove. However, mytether still exist on my Palm Pre. Please help.

mount -o remount rw, /
    mount -o remount ro, /
    I also had a problem removing MyTether and found a solution only after a lot of searching.

The problem was that after uninstalling MyTether my Palm Pre would continue to announce itself to my PC (Windows XP) as "RNDIS Ethernet Gadget" and as a consequence iTunes wouldn't recognise it to sync (yes, I actually find this facility useful, and have deliberately not upgraded my iTunes). It used to announce itself as "Novacom".

So here are the steps I used to thoroughly undo what the MyTether installation did...

(1) Remove net.aonic.my-tether as per instructions above.

(2) Disable usbnet. Take a look at the thread at
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...disabling.html
    I used the commands "usbnet disable" followed by "reboot". This got rid of the RNDIS service on my device and got it announcing itself as Novacom again. However, there are a lot of warnings in that thread, so do read those before trying this.

(3) I can't remember if I had to remove another package before disabling usbnet (it was late at night, I was tired), and I don't know if this had any effect. But looking at http://mytether.net/install.php it installs a package called org.webosinternals.services. You might need to remove that with "ipkg remove" just as you removed net.aonic.my-tether.

Hope that helps others.