Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Is it me or does no one care about a real backup solution? With all these apps coming out, wouldn't you think there would be one for full backup? I remember with my old palm NVBackup was the #1 tool for me.

Will there be any solutions soon?

I've searched and found synctoys but it does not backup all data like NVBackup did.
    Sprint Palm Pre-
    I agree completely. This is the first app I would buy. The sound notification changers and a fast calendar!
    Take look on WebOS Internals for rsync. You need to be rooted but it will wirelessly backup your device.

For any Linux users, i'm going to try & setup a simple script that will make this alot easier.
    I don't think it would be hard to use one of the root required services to do a tar.gz of the relevant sections to the /media/internal. Restore would be a whole bunch more "fun" though.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Veritas06 View Post
    Take look on WebOS Internals for rsync. You need to be rooted but it will wirelessly backup your device.

For any Linux users, i'm going to try & setup a simple script that will make this alot easier.
    Yea but you need a linux based computer dont you? i only have a windows PC
    Sprint Palm Pre-
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Requirements

* 1 Unix-based computer (with access to the same WIFI or usbnet subnet as the Pre)
    * On your Palm Pre, you need to have access to linux and have completed the next steps after accessing linux.

The Unix-based computer will be consistently referred to as the "host".

The rsync binary is part of Palm's original package, so it is possible to make a wrap-around gui-based ipk for users who do not want access to linux.
    Sprint Palm Pre-
    Quote Originally Posted by GigaS27 View Post
    Your Pre is a linux based computer.
    For the script i'm going to write, yeah, you would need Linux, but it might be able to be run through cygwin or something similar. After I write it i'll test it out on Linux, then i'll try it through cygwin.
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Your Pre is a linux based computer.
    See above, you need an additional one it looks like
    Sprint Palm Pre-
    Quote Originally Posted by GigaS27 View Post
    You are holding your Linux computer in your hand. You can open the .tar.gz with 7-zip on windows, after the backup script put it in /media/internal. If you want to use rsync, you would need additional software.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    So what you saying sacherjj, i can backup the entire phone now with what i have?
    Sprint Palm Pre-
    I agree ALOT of peeps would love to see an IPK gui type app. I keep finding myself doing this the hard way through...
    Personally, I think the best way to do this would be through the host PC, instead of putting the backup on the Pre itself. That's what I hope to be able to with my script. Access the Pre, activate the rsync daemon, backup to the PC, & hopefully shut the process down again. I'll see how this works out. Hopefully it'll perform as desired.

I'm not sure if an IPK would do much good except to start & stop rsync on the device.
    I agree completely especially after the ordeal I just dealt with on having to swap my pre out
    Personally, I think the best way to do this would be through the host PC, instead of putting the backup on the Pre itself. That's what I hope to be able to with my script. Access the Pre, activate the rsync daemon, backup to the PC, & hopefully shut the process down again. I'll see how this works out. Hopefully it'll perform as desired.

I'm not sure if an IPK would do much good except to start & stop rsync on the device.
    Why couldn't you have an on-device service that backed up to folder on the device where a PC batch script could use something like robocopy to back the folder up on the PC's file system.
    I'm sure it could be done that way, but the services on the device are over my head. I wouldn't even know where to start with that. Mine is alot simpler, just accessing the features / commands that are already there.
    I'm sure it could be done that way, but the services on the device are over my head. I wouldn't even know where to start with that. Mine is alot simpler, just accessing the features / commands that are already there.
    Maybe you could start with Jason Robitaille's FileMgr service.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    It would be great to have a backup app comparable to NV Backup on WebOS. I miss it's "set it and forget it" simplicity.
    Rob Robinson
    Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755p >> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Advantage to a IPK (if even possible) is that we can restore on the road...if we loose data when we are away from Backup PC, we will not have access to any information until we return
    Sprint Palm Pre-
    Hey guys. I accidentally created another thread regarding this very same topic. (backup copy of webos image) Admin/Moderator you can remove my thread if you want.. I'm gonna follow up with this one.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast