Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    I want to be able to back up all files if possible, but if i had to choose, SMS, Memos, Contacts (palm backup does not backup contacts that was not created on palm profile), Settings, Apps, Configurations for all apps/settings, Favorites in Web app, Contact links.
    Sprint Palm Pre-
    Guys.... what's the status???
    I have a script that is supposed to create a zip of the filesystem, excluding /proc/ & /sys/, however it still attempts to read those directories which just leads to fail... So anyway, as soon as i can fix that part i'll post the script or just the command with all the options to get it done.

If i can get this working i'll try to work on a simple GUI for it too. ATM, it will have to be a script run through terminal on the Pre because i haven't looked to far into creating apps yet, just know scripts.
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Anything would help for now. Thanks!
    Sprint Palm Pre-
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    FWIW - found in another forum, that the PIM data is stored in PalmDatabase.db3.

root@castle:/# find / -name PalmDatabase.db3 | xargs ls -l
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 598016 Jul 18 01:24 /usr/lib/luna/PalmDatabase.db3
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 598016 Jul 18 01:24 /var/lib/palmos/usr/lib/luna/PalmDatabase.db3
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2297856 Sep 17 08:37 /var/lib/palmos/var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2297856 Sep 17 08:37 /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3

I'd say the smaller version is the system template, but just an educated guess (haven't looked at it).

HTH,

-JerryG
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    If a tar or gz was created in /media/intenal and the rest of the filesytem got corrupted would the phone still be able to be used as a USB device or is that interoperability built into the os and not hardware based?...
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    has anyone tried the rsync method to windows via cygwin or DeltaCopy yet?
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Veritas06 View Post
    I have a script that is supposed to create a zip of the filesystem, excluding /proc/ & /sys/, however it still attempts to read those directories which just leads to fail... So anyway, as soon as i can fix that part i'll post the script or just the command with all the options to get it done.

If i can get this working i'll try to work on a simple GUI for it too. ATM, it will have to be a script run through terminal on the Pre because i haven't looked to far into creating apps yet, just know scripts.
    PLEASE!!! I'd really like to have this as an option. It sounds like this should backup/restore SMS as well?
    I was talking with some people in the webOS IRC room, but we could not get either zip or tar working with excluded directories. I was hoping it would be a simple package that expanded on the included tar package, so we could exclude proc, sys, & media/internal, but no luck so far. If anyone can get exclude directories working, that's all that's needed for a simple backup application.
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Wish I knew enough to research this with you guys.
    Sprint Palm Pre-
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    A NV Backup type of program would be great!
    Unlike commercial backup utilities that access data via the database cache, this reads data direct out of the flash disk where it is store. This seems to be the best backup utility in terms of restoring the exact state of the system before the backup, without a need to reenter registration codes for other software (there may be one or two exceptions) or anything else.

Features include:
    scheduled daily backups (including on locked devices)
    ftp server support--automatically or manually export your backup to an ftp server
    compression and checksum1
    AES 128-bit encryption
    selective restore
    fast update of existing backup
    connect to atomic clocks on the Internet to set the time, either manually or after a scheduled backup
    BSD licensed so you can make a closed-source commercial backup program on the basis of this
    Pros over some commercial solutions:
    exact state restoration, usually with no need for warm or hard reset before restoring
    should work better on unstable systems (e.g., due to unstable third-party utilities) than other utilities
    may be faster for very large backup sets (say, 50mb)
    does not affect cache memory significantly
    Cons:
    backup cannot be restored on another model PDA or maybe even on the same model PDA after a ROM upgrade
    uses undocumented APIs
    slower for smaller backup sets than some commercial solutions
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cathyth3 View Post
    A NV Backup type of program would be great!
    +1

I love my Pre, but I sorely miss NV Backup.

Rob
    Rob Robinson
    Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755p >> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    This is part of the reason why I'm hesitate on upgrading from my Centro to a Pre. I like the NV Backup, it's a need we all should have. I'm not keen on the fact that Pre doesn't have text forwarding either and to get such simple things requires a patch.
    The other reason is that I don't want to double my Sprint bill by changing plans just yet.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123