Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rrob13 View Post
    It would be great to have a backup app comparable to NV Backup on WebOS. I miss it's "set it and forget it" simplicity.
    Same here. I'd like to see image backups stored on the pre with the ability to send them to an FTP account over the air. I had my Centro set up with NVBackup like that. Did the backups and FTP'd them while charging overnight.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Same here. I'd like to see image backups stored on the pre with the ability to send them to an FTP account over the air. I had my Centro set up with NVBackup like that. Did the backups and FTP'd them while charging overnight.
    Thanks. I agree. I had my Treo 755p set to do a full backup nightly around 2 or 3 a.m. It saved to my memory card, but FTP transfer OTA would work, too, since the Pre doesn't have a card slot.
    Rob Robinson
    Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755p >> Palm Pre
    I had my Treo 755p set to do a full backup nightly around 2 or 3 a.m. It saved to my memory card, but FTP transfer OTA would work, too,
    I did both...saved to card and then uploaded to FTP. Maybe a bit of overkill but since it had the function, I went ahead and used it.
    Thanks. I agree. I had my Treo 755p set to do a full backup nightly around 2 or 3 a.m. It saved to my memory card, but FTP transfer OTA would work, too, since the Pre doesn't have a card slot.
    its impossible to do OTA with 8GB.

When I say backup.. I was referring to making a copy of the pre's internal image and store it on a flash or computer hard drive. OTA is way over our heads, who's going to pay for server use to do OTA?
    Quote Originally Posted by getmoneyeveryday View Post
    its impossible to do OTA with 8GB.

When I say backup.. I was referring to making a copy of the pre's internal image and store it on a flash or computer hard drive. OTA is way over our heads, who's going to pay for server use to do OTA?
    With NVbackup, I believe the files were compressed. Personally, I'll never use the full 8GB, I don't download music and pictures I can upload to photobucket or something like that.

There could also be an option in the backup program to ignore music/pictures, which is going to be taking up the most space.
    Let me know when you find one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    With NVbackup, I believe the files were compressed. Personally, I'll never use the full 8GB, I don't download music and pictures I can upload to photobucket or something like that.

There could also be an option in the backup program to ignore music/pictures, which is going to be taking up the most space.
    and videos...

but yea...
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Well backing up the USB folders I dont think would be necesssary since if you do a hard reset you dont have to loose the USB data, only internal phone data (or am I missing something.)
    Also anything I usually put on the USB I create a copy on my desktop in case I ever need to re transfer or God forbid I do loose access.
    Sprint Palm Pre-
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GigaS27 View Post
    Well backing up the USB folders I dont think would be necesssary since if you do a hard reset you dont have to loose the USB data, only internal phone data (or am I missing something.)
    Also anything I usually put on the USB I create a copy on my desktop in case I ever need to re transfer or God forbid I do loose access.
    Good point. I sync my USB/media folders to my PC. What I really need is something that backs up the Pre settings, apps and PIM data automatically overnight.

Rob
    Rob Robinson
    Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755p >> Palm Pre
    Advantage to a IPK (if even possible) is that we can restore on the road...if we loose data when we are away from Backup PC, we will not have access to any information until we return
    My view was what if you couldn't access the USB drive on the Pre (phone broke, corrupted, etc) then having it on the device wouldn't be very helpful.

Anyway, i hit a snag writing that backup script for rsync & linux users, trying to get the script to access the pre & then run a command on there without an extra prompt seems to give me issues. If someone knows a way to get around this let me know, it's pretty much the only part holding me back (it's pretty much all written). I haven't been able to work on it much because of school starting again & so i just let it fall behind. If anyone is still interested & wants to lend a and for that issue let me know & i'll fix it.

If / After i can get the wireless backup working, i could probably write another one that would backup to a tar (& someone with a deeper knowledge of WebOS could imlement it into an app instead of just a script run from Terminal.

Also, if there's any directories to be excluded from either backup (rsync or tar) let me know (i'll already exclude /media/internal since most people have that backed up on their own.
    Last edited by Veritas06; 09/02/2009 at 10:46 AM.
    Just so you know, I tried to back it up by rooting to the pre and using SCP to just copy folders out. There were a few snags and files that failed, but I have a pretty decent backup.

I'm an ubuntu Linux user, btw.
    Root to your Pre in Ubuntu: http://www.surfrock66.com/?p=600
    Yeah, i used WinSCP too, but i just figured it would be easier to double-click a script & have that run, instead of manually copying the files.
    the system directories to exclude would be /proc and /sys
    Quote Originally Posted by hmagoo View Post
    the system directories to exclude would be /proc and /sys
    Great, thanks for the info.
    Looks like 'tar' included with the Pre doesn't include an "--exclude" option. I'll have to look into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Veritas06 View Post
    Looks like 'tar' included with the Pre doesn't include an "--exclude" option. I'll have to look into it.
    have you looked if there are any alternate versions in optware

Code:
    ipkg-opt list
    Code:
    tar - 1.22-2 - heavyweight version of the Tape ARchiver
    would this help?
    exclude directories when tarring with tar in Ubuntu Hobby Lobby
    Last edited by hmagoo; 09/03/2009 at 05:04 AM.
    I know how to exclude directories with tar, it's just a matter of tar allowing me to do it. I installed the alternative archiver from ipkg-opt, but didn't have any new options added. Restarting my Pre now though to see if there's any difference.
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Anyone find a good solution yet?
    Sprint Palm Pre-
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Anyone find a good solution yet?

I'd like a good answer too. The BIGGEST thing for me is to be able to backup my SMS/MMS. Will WinSCP (or any other solution) allow this? If so, can you explain how I/we would go about setting this up?

Any details that can be provided would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks
    what type of data are you guys looking to backup? Isnt the most important date backed up using the Palm stuff? (contacts, memos, etc)
    My Tether - version 2.1.0 now live. No patching, no ad-hoc, more features!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast