1.    #1  
    Please tell me that even without a compass built in, that the Pre, my dear Pre, can do ANYTHING remotely close to what "others" are doing with AR. The Yelp app is a great example of how bad *** this tech is. Please devs, tell me something good.

I mean, look at this.....
    Last edited by dingwall1; 08/27/2009 at 07:20 PM. Reason: changed post
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    I am hoping for the same thing.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Even with a dongle attachment, I'll be happy if it can do it. Although I guess Pre will have it by the next version, when the apps are mature enough to use.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    BTW, all these AR apps overlay info on a video view. Do they need the video, or is GPS + compass info enough for these to work?
  5.    #5  
    well, I would think they need the video, but the Pre doesn't have a compass, so is it possible to use GPS services to be precise enough to change direction when the phone is moved about? hell, I don't know.
    I hope this leads to even more fun and unexpected permutations on the classic driving your car into a lake because gps said so routine.

perhaps one day i will be able to watch someone walk into a wall that, in another, more augmented reality, is supposed to be a hallway.

as long as they don't get hurt badly.
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dingwall1 View Post
    well, I would think they need the video, but the Pre doesn't have a compass, so is it possible to use GPS services to be precise enough to change direction when the phone is moved about? hell, I don't know.
    The one I used on Android (Wikitude, IIRC) relayed the data through the camera. I believe that is all you need, but then again I never developed it, just used it.
    i don't think the GPS is capable of determining your orientation when you are standing still. I'm sure there are someways for augmented reality to be useful on the pre, but i doubt it will be as sophisticated as it is on phones with compasses. Its a bummer really.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    i don't think the GPS is capable of determining your orientation when you are standing still. I'm sure there are someways for augmented reality to be useful on the pre, but i doubt it will be as sophisticated as it is on phones with compasses. Its a bummer really.
    my fear described.
    Quote Originally Posted by dingwall1 View Post
    my fear described.
    yeah, it would be neat if someone would create some sort of blu-tooth compass accessory. I think it would be successful because it could allow any blu-tooth enabled device to have augmented reality apps even if it doesn't have a built in magnetometer.

it would work something like this. The compass (it could double as a headset or perhaps you clip it on your belt) would send data pertaining to your orientation to the headset via blu-tooth. Then the augmented reality app would interpret that data to produce a useful overlay on the display, just like the on the iphone.

EDIT: after some research, I found out my idea isn't that original. more importantly however, this videos proves that it could work. Nevermind the obnoxiously ugly digital compassin this video, its a homemade prototype, and apple has already proven that these things can be tiny.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 08/27/2009 at 09:28 PM.
  11.    #11  
    anyone?
    All those apps look cool but are useless. Come on man, are you really going to find your way to the underground train by pointing your phone at the ground instead of using a map? That thing won't even work indoors.

AR will need a lot more than just GPS and a compass to be useful.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Exactly. Am I the only one who finds the AR apps a total fad? It's the new fart app.