1.    #1  
    Can someone please give me a dumbed down version on what needs to be done to apply patches? I'm trying to apply things such and battery percentage, shutter sound remove, things like that. I'm finding them here: Portal:Patches to webOS - WebOS Internals

I NEED HELP!
  2.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by emoney_33 View Post
    i saw that but i guess i was hoping that wasnt a dumbed down version...me and patches just aren't meant to be.

thanks
    OK, so I will write a lot in here to try and explain some of the things that are seldom really explained about patching. BUT, keep this in mind: I am just a user, I have not authored any pages on the wiki (WebOS Internals) or wrote any code out there, anywhere, lol, I'm sure of that. And also, take this following two paragraphs into consideration before you go crazy and drink Coke Zero until 4am in your basement tinkering with your linux (unix?) phone's insides. (you're lucky you have basements, in SoCal we only have garages and they suck, ;) )

* Preware is an application being actively developed, rapidly developed by many people in this community and webosinternals. Preware is an application that is rapidly attaining the ability to apply and remove patches, and Preware, at least, requires WebOS QuickInstall only to install it, and then you never need to use anything other than Preware again. So, no rooting required, but you can use the root prompt to install it rather than using WebOS QuickInstall.

* WebOS Quick Install Essential program for using the desktop to manage the Pre. Has a lot of resources, including about a dozen tweaks, also known as, patches. You only need "developer mode" enabled on the phone, and USB connected to use this one.

Some people just don't have the time to read, it's not because they are rude or want others to do things for them, they just don't have the time. So, if you're not into it to learn or can't take the time to learn, just wait a little bit, I mean a real little bit, and Preware will be able to apply patches, remove patches, etc. It is the most complete software installer and maintainer out there for the Pre right now. For example, it shows which apps are installed just on the icons themselves when you look at all the available applications, it is really advanced and complete. I already installed the Virtual Keyboard using Preware. which was/is a patch and a collection of images, etc, which give you onscreen keyboard.

But, if you want to learn then learn. It's not a bad idea to get acquainted with quilt and applying patches.

Remember linux is case-sensitive it will only recognize commands and filenames that match the exact case. that's why I have to try just to capitalize these days. habit.
    X
    and also keep this in mind, linux is case-sensitive. It recognizes files and commands exactly how they were written. CASE-SENSITIVE.
    XX
    yep, Cd / doesn't work... Quilt doesn't work.. and OpT/sRc/M0diF1caTi0n5 sure as "hale" ain't gonna cut it, so pay attention. lol
    btw, it's cd and quilt. CD and cD and Cd won't work. Quilt, QUILT and all the other combinations won't work either.
    XXX
    ever seen Family Feud? never mind...

Applying a patch means that you are running a command which uses a file someone created to alter (or sometimes create) a file that is on your Pre. A patch will usually insert or change or remove code in one of the files being used by an application. This patch contains everything the command needs to know in a standardized format. It uses line numbers, and also tries to match code to know where and what to insert or modify. So, maybe you didn't know that. :confused: But now you do. Patch files normally end with the extension .patch (but that is just common usage). The way the wiki at webosinternals sets things up is, a directory in /opt/src/modifications on the Pre which will mirror the repository that they host on the web for patches to the Pre. The individual patch files (.patch remember?) are organized into directories according to what they patch. There is also the /opt/src/patches directory which I believe is where the patches you import from the mirror get copied to. It also contains some other files quilt uses to help you manage the patches. But you don't need to worry about the /opt/src/patches directory or another directory called /.prc so forget I told you about those two. :eek:

For beginners it is probably a good rule to not apply two or more patches that patch the same app. So as a (very) starting rule don't use two patches from the same directory in the patch repository. (have no idea wth I'm talking about? read on) This is, of course, not the complete truth as two or more patches might co-exist w/o troubleshooting but it's a good starting point. Believe me, it's not even close to the truth but if you really want to keep it simple, start with that assumption. My kids for instance think I work because I like it. (just an example)

So, keeping your expectations low and easing into it; try getting one patch done. Be specific on what you need help with if you have to ask for help. Check out a few of the patch threads and look for some tutorials. I think there might even be a video out there. Here are a couple of threads with lots of help:
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ancements.html
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...h-contact.html

I am not personally adept in setting up quilt the first time, I've only done it once, then updated to "quilt-lite" which is better, and uses the same command to run it (quilt). So, with that in mind, I don't think I'll get into that right now, and please follow the instructions on the wiki on the page for applying patches, to do the first steps to setting up the Pre and be able to apply patches, remove patches, download patches, patches, patches, etc, lol. And of course, to do all the steps for "rooting" your pre.

This is the best source for getting your Pre ready, your desktop ready, and your brain ready to do things that aren't natively included in Palm's WebOS in it's current state. In case you missed it, I was referring to >>Main Page - WebOS Internals

Ask around if you have issues following the original setup of quilt and the quilt repository, but read through this post first as it gives you some pointers even in that process. I'm sure a lot of people would have no qualms helping someone who needs to do something once! I'll help you install Ubuntu, for instance, but I probably won't be around or found within 20 miles if you need help trying to protect your Windows system from the Russians or the Chinese botnets and pop-up anti-virus offers that are actually...... a virus, lol. sorry. ;) (well, ask my in-laws who are actually about 14 miles away)

Applying Patches - WebOS Internals
    You would, as a requirement go through the following steps. if you need help, ask someone, and you can even go to the IRC channel #webos-internals and ask for help.
    Introduction
    Upgrading from quilt to quilt-lite
    Setup Procedure (Scripted)

The following are all commands that you will need to repeat every time you use quilt, apply patches, etc. so get used to using them

The quilt command is always done in the root directory. The root directory is /. I usually log in to the ssh on the Pre. Then I do.
    Code:
    sudo -i
    that is sudo -i the letter i as in iowa. Iowa
    You'll have to enter the password. Then you will be in the root home.
    root home will look like this I think (I use linux, not sure if it always looks the same over every OS, but my first guess is it looks the same for everyone)
    root@castle:/var/home/root#
    You need to go to the actual root directory of the filesystem
    Code:
    cd /
    your prompt should look like this
    root@castle:/#
    Then you need to open the filesystem for read write access.
    Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    before you are done messing with your pre by doing patches etc you will need to undo this command just to be sure. so in other words, whenever you do
    Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    you need to remember to do
    Code:
    mount -o remount,ro /
    when you're done with the task you started, and are ready to stop playing with the filesystem. You don't do one after the other. You do one when you become root, after you log in and do sudo -i. You do the other when you are done and are ready to reboot, or force a rescan, restart of the Pre or it's GUI.
    So can you follow the commands to get quilt up and running from the wiki?
    From there for normal patch management I would go straight from remounting filesystem to read-write to getting the newest collection of patches from the repository. This would be:
    Code:
    cd /opt/src/modifications
    git pull
    That downloads all the available patches and places them in directories according to what they patch. Whenever you need to update the available patches and download them you need to do all the steps I posted above.
    If you see negative feedback during/after "git pull" then stop and re-evaluate what you did wrong. :brick:

You can go through the directories and find the patches you want to apply. So for example:
    Code:
    cd messaging
    ls
    Would show the messaging patches
    or you could just go ahead to the next step which is going to the root directory
    Code:
    cd /
    So you should be root and be in /.
    You should have already logged in to ssh did sudo -i to login as root. Changed to / dir. Mounted the filesystem for read-write. Gone to the /opt/src/modifications directory done a "git pull" and gone back to the root directory with "cd /". These are things you will repeat every time you use quilt every time you need to apply a patch remove a patch, etc.
    You're in /, you're root. So list all the patches that are available. So use this command:
    Code:
    find /opt/src/modifications -name *.patch
    That will list all the patches. You want some of that?
    Take note of the complete name and directory structure. Lets import that patch. For example:
    Code:
    quilt import /opt/src/modifications/calendar/default-to-week-view.patch
    It should tell you that it imported that patch. Now you can list the patches that you have in use for quilt. Not just the ones you downloaded but only the ones you have imported. These could be patches that you haven't yet applied, have applied, or have unapplied. Those will all be in one list which you will find by doing:
    Code:
    quilt series
    Will list the patches.
    You can see what patches in that list have been applied. Do:
    Code:
    quilt applied
    You can see what patches in that list are not currently applied. (never or maybe you unapplied them) do:
    Code:
    quilt unapplied
    So you should see the patch you imported in that list.
    What quilt wants to do is apply all patches at once and unapply them all at once. For beginners that is the best usage IMO. So we'll stick to that. Lets apply that patch listed in quilt series and listed in quilt unapplied. This command will apply all patches unapplied in the series. Do:
    Code:
    quilt push -a
    You should see no "failed" errors. In my experience some "fuzz" or "offset" notices still lead the patch to be successful.
    The easiest advice to progress from this point is to:
    Code:
    mount -o remount,ro /
    stop LunaSysMgr && start LunaSysMgr
    (that will reboot the graphical interface and any apps running)
    Your patch should be working. if it isn't try rebooting the Pre. if you're still logged in SSH and are root, you can type:
    Code:
    reboot
    and if you still have problems, checkover the wiki, and search the forums, just read some threads if you have time, and you should be able to figure it out, and also ask for help!

I'll probably write everything I know about deleting patches, refreshing patches, and the -a and -f commands, but that will be a much shorter post, because I don't know much.
    Last edited by hmagoo; 09/02/2009 at 11:13 PM.
    hmagoo, how long did it take you to type that? lol. Great job.
    lol, yeah typed most of that on the pre. Then I *had* to put in the code tags and etc, etc... I'm really disliking those code tags on the mobile version, can't see squat, but I just thought about landscape view if that helps.. hmm. back to the pre!
    Last edited by hmagoo; 08/29/2009 at 07:31 AM.
    Nope, code tags and mobile forums definitely suck together.
    How do you apply this patch

It is not listed when I git pull and search patches with quilt

Patch Messaging New Cards For Each Conversation - WebOS Internals
    read this whole thread...

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...messaging.html

I don't see it set up as a patch file, but might be in the thread, but if not, it entails editing files with vi in terminal as root.
    Quote Originally Posted by itakexrays View Post
    I have used VI and edited lots of files so I have a bit of experience editing with VI.

I guess I just need to know if I can copy the entire think into VI at once.

When i tried that but It didn't seem to format correctly.

The spaces and lines were off a little.

Will that resolve itself ? or does it not matter ?

All the text was copied , just the formatting was off.
    I have the same problem, and I usually edit the formatting myself in vi. not sure if it does matter or in what type of files it does matter. pretty sure in .css files it would matter.

to edit the formatting you use combinations of backspace, delete, and tab, in whatever mode works for them like "i" for insert mode or ESC mode.

hmm your post disappeared.
  10.    #11  
    Choose a patch from the modifications repository and import it into your own patches directory:
    cd / # It is *very* important to be in the / directory when you run quilt.
    quilt import /opt/src/modifications/application_name/patch_name.patch # Note that you need to replace application_name and patch_name here.

I'm able to get in and ask for it to apply patches now...however when i try quilt push, it tells me it can't find the files to patch. Any idea what i'm missing here?
    Quote Originally Posted by rxs2010 View Post
    Choose a patch from the modifications repository and import it into your own patches directory:
    cd / # It is *very* important to be in the / directory when you run quilt.
    quilt import /opt/src/modifications/application_name/patch_name.patch # Note that you need to replace application_name and patch_name here.

I'm able to get in and ask for it to apply patches now...however when i try quilt push, it tells me it can't find the files to patch. Any idea what i'm missing here?
    if you could post the output when you run a quilt push that would be great.

to everyone else:
    I use the quilt delete command and refresh commands but I'm not very experienced with them, if anyone cares to chime in here with their proper usage, I'd love to see it, for completeness. also steps to reset quilt. I believe you would have to remove the /opt/src directory and also the /.pc directory, but again not an expert.