1.    #1  
    I'll be happy to pay/donate to a dev that can release an app that mirrors the Treo/Centro speed dial LaunchPad. Of all things, I miss that for ease-of-use most of all. Three to four pages of speed dial buttons instead of searching the contacts list and finding the correct phone number; that would be a (very) welcome WebOS app. And one I'd be glad to pay for

Techiedude
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Already done and it works right in your launcher pages. LaunchPad
    LaunchPoint Speed Dial - There's no faster way to dial, email, or text, period.
  3.    #3  
    Just saw that thnx - now I'm just trying to figure out the FileCoaster install. I've got the WebOS QuickInstall running - do I need FileCoaster to install your app? I'm getting an error when trying to install FileCoaster (ERROR:1 Connection refused: connect; ERROR: No device found).
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    No, you don't need FileCoaster if you have QuickInstall working. You can download the ipk file here and install if using QuickInstall. Have fun with LaunchPad and feel free to come back and give me your opinion.
  5.    #5  
    Ah, thx - good to know! Now I just have to get QuickInstall working...I wonder if it's Win7 compatible...that might be my problem with the QI install...
    Techie is your Pre in dev mode? If not, go to your home screen and type upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart. It needs to be in dev mode for WebOSQuickInstall to work. I recommend placing the dev mode icon on your launcher if you plan to use Quick Install. Hope it helps
  7.    #7  
    Hey Krunch - Yep it's in devmode but I forgot to take into acct the OS: Win7 <doh!>.

I followed the directions here: forums.precentral.net/web-os-development/195043-setting-up-novacom-windows-7-easier-method .html

and was able to connect to device from QuickInstall but am not sure where/if the app installed <sigh>
    Last edited by Techiedude; 08/27/2009 at 02:28 PM.
  8.    #8  
    Never mind - it just took a sec (or two) to update the apps launcher - found it! Wahoo! Time to enjoy some app goodness and spread some donation wealth around
  9.    #9  
    Hey worthb, Interesting app and really appreciate the time and effort that was put in. However I was kinda looking for an app that kept all of the contacts in pages akin to the Treo/Centro launcher pages instead of filling up the launcher pages with more icons (no disrepect intended). Any chance that will (or could) be part of a feature update?

If so, a separate page for each type of launchpoint (one for dial, one for email, and one for sms would be great) - I love the initial look-n-feel of the app but coordinating the individual launchpoints into their own pages would go a looooong way

Also, I noticed that if you gesture [back] from the the Contacts page from within Launchpad, the LaunchPad screen comes back but it's blank with no selectable options (i.e. if someone changes their mind about creating a launchpad and wants to return to the main screen). It happens in the email Email and SMS launchpoints as well.
    Last edited by Techiedude; 08/27/2009 at 02:27 PM.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Techiedude View Post
    Hey worthb, Interesting app and really appreciate the time and effort that was put in. However I was kinda looking for an app that kept all of the contacts in pages akin to the Treo/Centro launcher pages instead of filling up the launcher pages with more icons (no disrepect intended). Any chance that will (or could) be part of a feature update?
    Techiedude,
    There are 2 apps, QuickDialer and Quick Contacts, that have a fixed 8 or 9 positions for speed-dial type links but nothing with multiple pages. I think both authors have indicated future support for multiple pages. I will not be developing any apps along those veins because I thing they already have 2 very good apps in that category.

What I and others have done is just use the QuickInstall tweaks option to enable adding additional launcher pages, and I put my dial links on a page, email and sms on their own pages, and then apps and utilities on their own pages. You'll find that if you keep the launcher pages to 9 icons per page, it's much more usable because you only have to swipe left and right without worrying about having to scroll up and down as well in case you're missing something. Also, i tend you use universal search to run my apps and use the launcher for my dial/sms links, so I hardly ever scroll past my 3 pages of LaunchPad links.

There is also a tweak in QuickInstall to change launcher to a 4x5 grid instead of 3x3. You may try that, although some people say it makes things too small.

You'll find that creating LaunchPoint links for your most used contacts improves universal search as well. A "John Doe" launchpoint comes up by just typing "J" whereas it takes two letters typed before universal search starts searching for contacts, plus you don't have to tap once on the name and then again to select a number to dial. If you have dial, email, and sms links for John Doe, "J" will bring all 3 up in a search. Also, "s" or "sm" or will bring up all of your sms links and "em" your email links, etc.

There are definitely some things that Palm could do under the hood to make the launcher more user-friendly for managing contacts and apps together, but until they make some changes, I've found what works best for me without having to make hack type changes to the Palm apps (besides the "additional pages" tweak).

Quote Originally Posted by Techiedude View Post
    Also, I noticed that if you gesture [back] from the the Contacts page from within Launchpad, the LaunchPad screen comes back but it's blank with no selectable options (i.e. if someone changes their mind about creating a launchpad and wants to return to the main screen). It happens in the email Email and SMS launchpoints as well.
    Thanks for pointing this out. It is a know issue and will be addressed in the next update which should be released tonight.