Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I really need a word processor on my phone. I have been trying to follow news on availability of some kind of document editing, but there doesn't seem to be any news. I know data viz is working on documents to go, and I even heard that google docs was editable on the pre for a while. Has anyone heard anything?
    Originally posted by Devren
    Question Any news on a word processor?
    I really need a word processor on my phone. I have been trying to follow news on availability of some kind of document editing, but there doesn't seem to be any news. I know data viz is working on documents to go, and I even heard that google docs was editable on the pre for a while. Has anyone heard anything?
    I haven't heard any news, but I can tell you a couple of things that will work right now.

1)If you're coming from PalmOS and already have the previous version of DTG, the editable PalmOS version works in Classic. This works, but it costs unless you own both Classic and DTG already.

2) Copy & paste the information from your Word.doc into Evernote from your desktop. When you pull up Evernote on your phone, it will be an editable document and it will update back to the Evernote Website as you edit. When you're completely done, copy & paste the information into a Word.doc from your desktop. This method is inexpensive and all your work is in WebOS instead of an emulator.

I find method two the simplest. I can start a document in Evernote from my phone or from my desktop and syncs effortlessly in the clouds without me having to hook up my phone and connect it to my PC for the updates.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I had forgotten about classic, but that is not going to work for me anyway. I am coming from windows mobile so I don't have DTG, and I am not interested in paying for both. Number 2 looks interesting though I will have to check it out.
    I am not entirely sure, but I thought I heard someone mention the ability to use Google Docs.
    Google docs used to work in Desktop mode, but now reverts to mobile mode, which doesn't allow editing of docs for some reason, at least for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by clindner View Post
    Google docs used to work in Desktop mode, but now reverts to mobile mode, which doesn't allow editing of docs for some reason, at least for me.
    That's my experience too, though the spreadsheets in Google Docs are editable (such as it is) on my Pre.

Regards,
    Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by Devren View Post
    You should download Evernote from the app catalog. It is a handy little app. In a nutshell it allows you to save documents on the Evernote server which can be edited on your pre, web browser and the desktop app. Some files you can drag and drop into the web browser. I have about 30 docs some copied directly from wikipedia searches (with pictures) on Evernote. All can be deleted & edited.
    do a google search for "online word processor"...some of the ones that come up work with the pre...theres tons of google docs wannabees out there give them a shot...
    I too want some kind of even basic word editing app. Evernote is not very good. You cant really edit on the phone other than retyping stuff. There are no tools for bold, or tables, or fonts. All you can really do ON the phone is retype or delete words..

Its JUST this stuff that sometimes really frustrates me with the Pre, the seemingly simplest things, they just left out??/

Also no way at ALL to edit even the simplest of HTML docs... or save a doc in a format of choice, txt, html, doc.. its JUST whatever native format evernote uses.

This is my same issue with the memos..

Oh well patience is a virtue, or so they tell me
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Checked out evernote. It will work in a pinch, but not really for me. I haven't checked out any other online word processors, but I may have to try. I liked google docs and have a lot of docs already ready for use. I just hope data viz (or anyone else) hurries up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devren View Post
    Checked out evernote. It will work in a pinch, but not really for me. I haven't checked out any other online word processors, but I may have to try. I liked google docs and have a lot of docs already ready for use. I just hope data viz (or anyone else) hurries up.
    If you have Classic, you can use the full Docs To Go. It will allow you to drag and edit word docs to your phone, but you can't sync. When Classic perfects the sync function, you'll be able to edit and sync back to your desktop.

The best would be for DataViz to work with Google Docs and on line docs so that we can use our formatted docs and keep up-to-date.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I hesitate to post this, as the powers at be have a way of mucking up a good thing. Anyway here goes.

I have been using Zoho Writer for a day now. I too was looking for something like Google Docs until the Pre has a dedicated word processor. Well Zoho Writer is it. So far it appears to be a great program with full, unlimited word processing that is all web based.

I haven't used it enough to know whether or not there are limitations or whether or not at some point it is no longer free, etc. Good luck and happy typing!

(Do a google search under Zoho Writer and you'll get the link to the Zoho webpage to create your account. I don't want to put the actual weblink since I'm paranoid overexposure will cause it to go away--crazy I know.)
    IMHO, there are plenty of online doc software (but you have to have a web connection), and Docs to Go, is working on a full blown app (haven't heard a release date yet), but the real issue is input. Until the BT stack supports keyboards the Pre is a pretty useless doc writer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    IMHO, there are plenty of online doc software (but you have to have a web connection), and Docs to Go, is working on a full blown app (haven't heard a release date yet), but the real issue is input. Until the BT stack supports keyboards the Pre is a pretty useless doc writer.
    I believe they originally said before the end of the year. DataViz has a facebook page that is fairly active, and people are asking about the Pre there pretty frequently. Here's a quote from their facebook page. I bet there are WebOS APIs that are still required for their software to work (saving a file).

Rolando Celis Are there any plans to launch a decent version of D2G for the palm pre?
    August 26 at 12:21am

DataViz, Inc.
    Yes there are! Planning to release later this year/early next year, depending on some device updates and whatnot. We'll keep you updated.
    August 27 at 4:05pm
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Thanks jbg7474!

While the WebOS has made great strides in that last 3.5 months. It has a long way to go. Consider that

I see the pace going as follows:
    1.1 (July)
    Provided robust e-mail features and enhancements

1.2 (September)
    Provided robust App Store (so that you can make purchases) and enhancements

1.3 (November)
    Provide promised features, such as video recording, APIs and enhancements

Considering that there are so many holidays between November and January, development for DataViz and approval by Palm will take them 7 months.

You'll easily looking at a May/June release to consumer.
    coolqf: I agree with what you've said, except I don't see it taking them 7 months to develop and get an approval from Palm. It's likely that it's already much in work, and that they'll know in advance what the APIs look like. They are a launch partner after all, and the availability of this app is a component in the viability of WebOS as a business tool.

I predict February at the latest, assuming a November release of the version of WebOS that supports all the functionality they need.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    True, plenty of online word processors. Why Zoho Writer works for me is this, good evdo in my area (wireless not necessary) and it runs the same on your computer as it does on your Pre. Unlike Google Docs which will not allow you to edit docs, only view them, if your on a mobile device.

I've had a number of dedicated word processors from Dataviz and Handmark on my old Palms and Windows Mobile devices. Zoho Writer isn't going to replace them, only stem the tide until those apps are available on the Pre.
    Now that the 1.2 update is out, you can use Google Docs copy information from your GDocs to Evernote or Snippet until a full processor comes along.
    Last edited by bdhu2001; 09/30/2009 at 07:22 AM. Reason: copy & paste working, not edit
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    Now that the 1.2 update is out, you can use Google Docs until a standalone Word processor comes.
    I tried google docs after 1.2 and I still could not edit any of my documents. How were you able to get it to work?
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    If this has already been discussed, sorry. I couldn't find anything. Anyways, does anyone know if there is a word processing app being developed or out? Something with tools like spell check and format would be very useful.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast