Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Apparently everyone knows of the WebOS Doctor and it's usefulness to the community, but I don't know if they understand this aspect. If you happen to be editing any file (via root or Quick Install), then chances could happen where you corrupt a one or multiple files.

Instead of ruining all your work (via homebrew apps, settings, and patches), you can try this:

- Download the WebOS Doctor 1.2.1 ROM
    - Extract WebOS Doctor contents with WinRAR or 7-Zip
    - Go through the Resource folder in WebOS Doctor ROM
    - Extract the contents of webOS.tar
    - Open the webOS folder created by that
    - Extract the data from ./nova-cust-image.castle.rootfs.tar.gz

You now have all the stock files. Just navigate through the folders and find your file. Example: "/usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/app/controllers/bar-assistant.jsjsjs.&$quot$;

To replace the file:

Rooting-

- Place the file(s) in the main directory of the Pre's USB storage.
    - Open the root terminal
    Code:
    mount -o remount, rw /
    cp /media/internal/(filename) (directory)
    An example of this code would be:
    Code:
    cp /media/internal/bar-assistant.jsjsjs /$usr$/$lib$/$luna$/$system$/$luna$-$systemui$/$app$/$controllers$/
    WebOS Quick Install-
    - Open WebOS Quick Install
    - Go to Tools - Send File
    - For the file input box, browse to the stock file you extracted from the WebOS Doctor ROM
    - For destination folder, type the directory where your file should be placed

An example would be:
    Code:
    /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/app/controllers/
    I hope this is clear to understand and hopefully helpful to many people. If I made any mistakes or errors, then please reply kindly. Also if you know of any easier steps or methods.
    Last edited by Abyssul; 10/07/2009 at 03:49 PM.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  2.    #2  
    I guess no one needs this lol

Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    I guess no one needs this lol
    more then you think...
    yeah people do need this thats forsure, most people already know this and to always back up their original but some people dont so this is great for some people

Donate Via Paypal to Email Adress: silent2205@gmail.com
    Email: fritos1406@aim.com
    Twitter: @fritos1406
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    won't this give you the OLD files...prior to the 1.1 update?
  6.    #6  
    It would if you obtained the WebOS Doctor ROM from the previous 1.1 firmware. Palm/Sprint update the ROM every update so there is a version for every firmware. I don't know where you could obtain the ROM, but it is possible.

I wouldn't recommend it though because it could cause errors, crashes, etc if the file(s) start to call on services/files that don't exist.

Apparently everyone knows of the WebOS Doctor and it's usefulness to the community, but I don't know if they understand this aspect. If you happen to be editing any file (via root or Quick Install), then chances could happen where you corrupt a one or multiple files.

Instead of ruining all your work (via homebrew apps, settings, and patches), you can try this:

- Download the WebOS Doctor ROM
    - Extract WebOS Doctor contents with WinRAR or 7-Zip
    - Go through the Resource folder in WebOS Doctor ROM
    - Extract the contents of webOS.tar
    - Open the webOS folder created by that
    - Extract the data from ./nova-cust-image.castle.rootfs.tar.gz

You now have all the stock files. Just navigate through the folders and find your file. Example: "/usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/app/controllers/bar-assistant.jsjsjs.&$quot$;

To replace the file:

Rooting-

- Place the file(s) in the main directory of the Pre's USB storage.
    - Open the root terminal
    Code:
    cp /media/internal/(filename) (directory)
    An example of this code would be:
    Code:
    cp /media/internal/bar-assistant.jsjsjs /$usr$/$lib$/$luna$/$system$/$luna$-$systemui$/$app$/$controllers$/
    WebOS Quick Install-
    - Open WebOS Quick Install
    - Go to Tools - Send File
    - For the file input box, browse to the stock file you extracted from the WebOS Doctor ROM
    - For destination folder, type the directory where your file should be placed

An example would be:
    Code:
    /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/app/controllers/
    I hope this is clear to understand and hopefully helpful to many people. If I made any mistakes or errors, then please reply kindly. Also if you know of any easier steps or methods.
    also it is very easy to use winSCP to copy the files over.
    Palm Pilot m100 --> Alltel Razr V3c --> Alltel HTC PPC6800(Mogul) --> Alltel HTC Touch Pro --> Alltel Rokr Z6M --> Alltel Palm Pre

Speed at 70Mph using MyTether using Alltel Hybrid Rev A
    http://i30.tinypic.com/2iu733d.jpg
  8.    #8  
    I don't have WinSCP implemented, but I know for a fact it would be easier. If you have WinSCP, then these instructions would just tell you what goes where.

Great post . This will definitely help a few people out.
    Is there any way to view the webos directories as you would when you are in USB mode? The same way you can view the folders in the Internalz app but on your computer. Or maybe create an Internalz type app for the computer?
    Quote Originally Posted by dussyduss View Post
    Is there any way to view the webos directories as you would when you are in USB mode? The same way you can view the folders in the Internalz app but on your computer. Or maybe create an Internalz type app for the computer?
    That is what installing scp gives you.

Go to the wiki and read the "next steps" page...
  12.    #12  

On linux (xubuntu) I use filezilla for ssh2 (file management). I was never able to figure out what to do to write to system directories (permissions) so I just moved on and made sure I can write to /var/home and /media/internal. From there it's no big deal. I suppose it would be pretty easy to learn commands to copy and send in a simple terminal window, but it's nice to use a gui every once in a while.
  14.    #14  
    Editing files and maniputing images is reasonable for STFP, but when you have to enable services, manipulate processes, etc then you have a problem. I found using Putty to be capable of what I want to do.

Just curious, but since PalmProfile restores everything short of your homebrew apps and your pictures, is this really necessary? I guess what I really mean is if there is any ... danger .. in using webosdoctor every once in awhile to fix problems as opposed to just swapping stock files in. For me, it just seems easier to let to re-write the rom with the doctor, plug my palm profile in, take 5 minutes to adjust some settings, and off I go. At the same time, I don't want to risk screwing something up making webosdoctor my go to tool either.
    Centro85, Yeah don't make it your go to tool. It's like getting a new phone in the mail, and there are a few bugs with it. For me, it would be a lot easier to get 1 file out of the webos image, or my own backup, instead of erasing the Pre and possibly end up calling sprint for some caveat, etc. From what I hear about the Doctor it isn't quick and doesn't restore everything you think it will.

Abyssul, yeah I use a terminal for just about everything, but go to the file manager for certain transfers. I've been using the terminal app on the Pre more and more lately.
  17.    #17  
    WebOS Doctor usually takes 15 minutes. I've done it about 6-7 times now. Last week I lost all my contacts because my Palm Profile won't load correctly from Palm's server. Kind've pissed that I didn't use Google to begin with... Currently have a ticket with Palm because I used WebOS Doctor.

Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    how do i extract ./nova-cust-image.castle.rootfs.tar.gz?
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    how do i extract ./nova-cust-image.castle.rootfs.tar.gz?
    With WinRAR or 7-Zip, try right clicking the file and going to "Open with." Then select WinRAR/7-Zip.

Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    With WinRAR or 7-Zip, try right clicking the file and going to "Open with." Then select WinRAR/7-Zip.
    I have a mac and i tried using the archive utility and rarexpander and still still can't figure it out.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast