1.    #1  
    I really really want to root my pre but Im not very tech savy so to speak. I was ok with windows but I dont understand this linux stuff AT ALL!! Id be willing to pay someone to help me somehow just root my pre and get me started so I can start using this phone to all its capabilities! Thanks alot!
    Why do you want to "Root" your pre? If all you want to do is install homebrew apps, then using the webosquickinstall method as posted in these forums should be satisfactory for your needs. However if you want to install patches via quilt etc or the mytether app, then accessing the linux command or "rooting" is required. However, it might now be such a good idea for novices to do this if they don't know what they're doing...

In any case, read and start from this page to get started on accessing linux:

Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals

The easiest way is to install the SDK. However, if you don't want or need the emulator, then all you have to do is install the novaterm drivers which will let you access the linux command. I think weboswuickinstall will install the drivers as well...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    Why do you want to "Root" your pre? If all you want to do is install homebrew apps, then using the webosquickinstall method as posted in these forums should be satisfactory for your needs. However if you want to install patches via quilt etc or the mytether app, then accessing the linux command or "rooting" is required. However, it might now be such a good idea for novices to do this if they don't know what they're doing...

In any case, read and start from this page to get started on accessing linux:

Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals

The easiest way is to install the SDK. However, if you don't want or need the emulator, then all you have to do is install the novaterm drivers which will let you access the linux command. I think weboswuickinstall will install the drivers as well...
    I found that it was way easier to root it rather than get webosquickinstaller working.

To root:

1. Install novacom drivers.
    2. setup putty to use local host and raw data on port 22 ->> force off under terminal in the tree view
    3. connect and you have root access....then install optware and configure ssh.
    4. Install homebrew, etc
    5. Configure WinScp with ssh connection, then you can change your theme, flash the pre to work on another carrier, etc
    Palm Pilot m100 --> Alltel Razr V3c --> Alltel HTC PPC6800(Mogul) --> Alltel HTC Touch Pro --> Alltel Rokr Z6M --> Alltel Palm Pre

Speed at 70Mph using MyTether using Alltel Hybrid Rev A
    http://i30.tinypic.com/2iu733d.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron130 View Post
    I really really want to root my pre but Im not very tech savy so to speak. I was ok with windows but I dont understand this linux stuff AT ALL!! Id be willing to pay someone to help me somehow just root my pre and get me started so I can start using this phone to all its capabilities! Thanks alot!
    pm me and I will help you out
    Palm Pilot m100 --> Alltel Razr V3c --> Alltel HTC PPC6800(Mogul) --> Alltel HTC Touch Pro --> Alltel Rokr Z6M --> Alltel Palm Pre

Speed at 70Mph using MyTether using Alltel Hybrid Rev A
    http://i30.tinypic.com/2iu733d.jpg
    Or me it took me a bit to figure it out but now that I have it seems alot easier than I made it out to be. I think we are all just worried about messing up our $500.00 phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron130 View Post
    Be glad to help just PM me with any questions or if you would like to email.
    If you feel that I have given you worthy advice please feel free to show your support. TY

I don't plan on helping anyone to root their Pre in the near future.

/s

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  8.    #8  
    Thx guys I'll REALLY REALLY appreciate it!!!