Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My friend was over yesterday with his iphone and he had this program on it called Caller ID Faker which was kind of cool you could call someone and any number you select would show up on that persons caller id instead of your own. Its kind of fun so was just wondering if anyone could develop something like that.
  2.    #2  
    nobody thinks this app is necessary.
    I read something recently in google news about new FCC rules coming out making caller ID spoofing a crime. From what I remember reading, caller ID spoofing has been around for a few years and there are actual companies that sell phone cards specifically for that purpose. I guess there have been a lot crimes committed by caller ID spoofing which is why the FCC is coming out with new rules on it.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

It could be used as a tool for rather serious crimes. I for one oppose such an app on any phone.
    iPhone; the official phone of 'the Borg'
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Just use google voice.
    i would oppose this application as well
    I very much oppose it.

Along with that, I doubt PreCentral would host it here (and if they did, they would be served with a take down order by the FCC or the FBI/Justice Dept., because the app violates federal law).
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Wow. Three cheers for all the opposition, but all that means is that you don't have to install or use the app. Who cares if any particular person (or even group) oppose its existence?

Comments like "it's against the law" and "FBI will come and get you [or precentral]" should be cheerfully ignored. (As I'll do after I get the annoyance out of my system ).

Until and unless an actual law is passed, it's both legally and technically permissible.

Rob
    I wouldn't want to fake my caller ID but I would appreciate a Fake Call application (there's one for PalmOS) to help get me out of meetings!
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    "a caller id faker" the application your friend had was for spoofcard, it's a paid service. there is no such thing as a free "caller id faker" unless you know someone who is willing to let you use their asterisks server in a app or you work for telespoof. Spoofing your CID is not a crime, lol...but using it to social engineer is
    --
    Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    If my post was helpful please thank me!

Linux/Palm Pre HELP can be found at:
    http://www.crombiez.com

-intro.
    Ok, please excuse me for that.

I had thought that the law was passed some time ago, but it seems it never was (it expired and was reintroduced this year).
    Regardless, many cities have laws against such a practice and I do believe it is against Sprint policy to use caller id spoofing. It is most probably against all major carriers' policies to use spoofing.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    eh, is this the app that was on the iphone?

spoofcard dot com (i cant post links cuz i only have 6 posts.)

just access it from your browser on the phone but you only get 5 free times then you have to pay

that app on the iphone is cracked.

the website explains the legal and illegal factors...

also if you guys like spoofing your number you'll love this, you can unblock any private number, doesnt work with sprint though

trapcall dot com
    Last edited by jpdaballa; 08/26/2009 at 05:52 PM.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    My friend was over yesterday with his iphone and he had this program on it called Caller ID Faker which was kind of cool you could call someone and any number you select would show up on that persons caller id instead of your own. Its kind of fun so was just wondering if anyone could develop something like that.
    I have a co worker who uses this app to call in to conference calls from her cell when she is supposed to be at work. I love it..... so I to wish we could get the app the iphone has and its not through spoofcard.com
    theres an app like this for blackberry...i think itd be pretty cool myself...id download it
    Check out my buddy's music on MySpace!

http://www.myspace.com/rstboys
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    I wouldn't want to fake my caller ID but I would appreciate a Fake Call application (there's one for PalmOS) to help get me out of meetings!
    Very simple...set your alarm for a certain time and make the alarm sound a phone ringer.

Not as cool as the apps that show a fake photo and phone number and totally fool people...but should be good enough to sneak out.
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Ok, please excuse me for that.

I had thought that the law was passed some time ago, but it seems it never was (it expired and was reintroduced this year).
    Regardless, many cities have laws against such a practice and I do believe it is against Sprint policy to use caller id spoofing. It is most probably against all major carriers' policies to use spoofing.
    Didnt quite learn your lesson eh? You shot off an unfouned guess once and were worng so now you spout off another? Sprint is obviously OK with this since there is an app that does this in the BB app store.

This isnt some underhanded gag app, it has many legitamate functions.

I'll give two.

1. A doctor wants to call the home of a patient to check on their health but he doesnt want to give away his home phone # so he spoofs his office's number.

2. As an IT support tech I routinely call othe employees on the weekend to make them aware of an issue. Its easier for those screening calls to see its the phone number from work VS seeing the # of the random office I'm in.
    I had an app for this on Blackberry, it led to many hilarious drunken pranks. I can't speak to its legality, but I can certainly vouch for how much fun it is!
    I would LOVE this app. bluffmycall lets you get 2 min (unlimited as far as i know) before you have to have an account. most of the time its a short conversation 2 min is fine.

for everyone hating the app, just dont d/l or use it.

i would never use it for any wrong reasons, its simply FUN to screw around with friends!! the other day i knew my gf was at her friends house, I kept making their phones ring with eachothers numbers.

just stuff like that.. cant say id use it to commit any crimes!!!!
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I would love it to,for my work I have to call customers all day long and I use my cell a lot but I don't want random customers to have my cell number so it would be great for me to spoof my office number!!!
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Just type *67 before the number you dial and it will block your name and phone number and it is legal
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast