Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    I hear that all that's needed to know is CSS and HTML...is that really it? Are there any good books on programming for WebOS out there?
    Pretty much. Having a background in HTML/CSS is perfect. Not a huge jump to JavaScript. As for books, Dieter Bohn posted one on the PreCentral.net homepage. I will find a link, unless I am beaten to it.

TaDa!!! No one beat me to it...
    Amazon.com: Palm webOS (9780596155254): Mitch Allen: Books
    CSS and HTML are a start, but the real key is JavaScript. If you're a designer who doesn't know JavaScript and don't have any history in programming it would likely be fairly difficult to pick up, but not impossible. Also, it can certainly be pretty involved and complicated JavaScript that even a good developer who doesn't know too much JavaScript could get caught up in.

When Palm says all you need to know are web technologies, it's really only a half truth. If you have no experience with fairly complex APIs and Frameworks you could definitely have some trouble here. Not impossible, mind you, but not as simple as they claim.
    So, are there any good, free, resources out there or did everyone writing homebrew apps buy the book?

IDK, I've bought books in the past and all I really used was a chart at the back of the book to know which headers to use.
    Last edited by sinime; 08/25/2009 at 08:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    So, are there any good, free, resources out there or did everyone writing homebrew apps buy the book?

IDK, I've bought books in the past and all I really used was a chart at the back of the book to know which headers to use.
    I'm a professional designer by career, so jumping into writing apps for the Pre is a HUGE difference than programming for the web. I do a lot of PHP/MySQL development, and jumping to Javascript was a pretty big pain in the backside. But.. The thing I did was looked through the sample scripts that come with the SDK. You can pretty much fumble through those and test out different scripts/actions/etc and get a fairly good idea of what you need to do in setting things up.
    i was about to asked this.

what languages do we need to learn to get into developing for the pre?

as a first time programmer where should i start?
    For an IDE use Eclipse, its very powerful and it has a helluva lot better debug engine than the SDK!
    Palm Pilot m100 --> Alltel Razr V3c --> Alltel HTC PPC6800(Mogul) --> Alltel HTC Touch Pro --> Alltel Rokr Z6M --> Alltel Palm Pre

Speed at 70Mph using MyTether using Alltel Hybrid Rev A
    http://i30.tinypic.com/2iu733d.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by shaffaaf27 View Post
    i was about to asked this.

what languages do we need to learn to get into developing for the pre?

as a first time programmer where should i start?
    Start with learning basic HTML/CSS commands.. Shouldn't be too hard following some tutorials out there. After that, get deeper into developing Javascript. I'd say the HTML/CSS to Javascript programming ratio would be something like 30/70. You're going to be programming a LOT of javascript to create a custom application.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    I figured it'd be more Javascript than anything. I can't recall anyone making an entire app/game using just html.

And that book that was recommended got two 1-star reviews. Doesn't sound too inviting...
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy123 View Post
    I figured it'd be more Javascript than anything. I can't recall anyone making an entire app/game using just html.

And that book that was recommended got two 1-star reviews. Doesn't sound too inviting...
    Haha.. HTML isn't going to do anything for you in programming a single thing. As for the book, eff it. You can get by with all the good sample files that come with the SDK.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Awesome. I appreciate it. I think I'm gonna start with the Hello World tutorial on WebOS Internals.
    Global Posts
    491 Global Posts
    Eclipse or Kamodo IDE, webOS plugins, and get the book Javascript: The Good Parts. It really is that easy.
    Yea, I would definitely look for a book on just Javascripting. None of the webOS ones, though.. You can definitely find some good Javascript books out there to read up on and polish your skills.
    Like others said, Javascript is the big thing. HTML and CSS knowledge is needed but without solid Javascript knowledge you can't do more than creating really pretty Hello World apps.

I highly recommend the book 'Object Oriented Javascript' by my Yahoo colleague Stoyan Stefanov.

Since WebOS is highly object oriented this book will most definitely help.

Amazon.com: Object-Oriented JavaScript: Create scalable, reusable high-quality JavaScript applications and libraries (9781847194145): Stoyan Stefanov: Books
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    HTML and CSS - a fairly standard implementation is used to create the look of the application. If you use CSS alot, you can make a great "looking" Palm Pre App.
    • The web is full of HTML & CSS help.

Javascript - a fairly standard implementation is used to create the "actions" of the application. Without Javascript, you will be quite limited in functionality.
    • The web is full of Javascript help.

Widgets - Palm has created a whole proprietary set of objects (lists, buttons, etc...) that have specialized ways to be set up, called, and used. You could get away with making an application that doesn't use WebOS widgets, but I wouldn't recommend it.
    • You should view the webOS free examples to learn.
    A really great, and easy to understand book series and follow, along with TONS of sample scripts, that you can see, download, and play with are here

JavaScript & Ajax :: Chapter 1: Getting Acquainted with JavaScript :: What JavaScript Is

I use this book to teach JavaScript to non programmers.

You can see the actual code used, the output result, and from a very low level start, get the idea what JavaScript IS, and how it is used as an embedded/interpreted language, that weaves right into your HTML

Also, some pretty good, easy scripts that you can just copy/paste

Another good and free reference to get started with JavaScript is here:

http://www.w3schools.com/js/default.asp
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Thanks for the help, everyone. I took an intro to web design class twice (once a few years later as a refresher), and they touched on Javascript - we did some basic exercises, but I never used them again. I will check out some of those books if my library has them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy123 View Post
    Thanks for the help, everyone. I took an intro to web design class twice (once a few years later as a refresher), and they touched on Javascript - we did some basic exercises, but I never used them again. I will check out some of those books if my library has them.
    The links I posted have everything you need online, no need to look for actual books

Gotta LOVE the web, for learning about the web
    thank you very much guys, esp dianehlen
    Quote Originally Posted by shaffaaf27 View Post
    thank you very much guys, esp dianehlen
    Aweee *shucks* (blushing), just what I DO

I should take a crack at writing an app, but then again nahhh Im wayyyyyyyyy too lazy, rather just click the PayPal link and donate to those less lazy than MOI! hehe
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast