Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    There are some mobile sites, like m.facebook.com or Toodledo :: Your to-do list (to name just two of the many thousand) that display tiny in the browser.

However, do the following:

(1) Load m.precentral.net
    (2) Rotate landscape
    (3) Rotate portrait
    (4) Load m.facebook.com (or whatever)

...and it now displays nice and big. For something like Toodledo :: Your to-do list, this is a huge difference in user experience.

Note, this is NOT the same as letting it load small and then zooming. Why? Because (if you don't do this trick), it sees a "wider" screen. When you do the trick, the screen appears narrower, so the fonts will be bigger.

Does this make sense? If not, try it. Start your browser, go to m.facebook.com. Now do the steps above and notice the difference.

OK, so there's clearly something that's occurring in the browser's memory when you go to a "good" site (like m.precentral.net or x.facebook.com), rotate, rotate back.

So, I wonder if it's possible to develop a patch or something that tells the browser that it's already done the m.precentral.net/rotate/rotate activities? Anyone know what's different?
    THANK YOU!! I've seen this happen hit or miss and couldn't duplicate how I made it happen. Now I can finally make it happen when I want!
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    I have to thank you for this trick. I always had this problem with m.yahoo.com and now I can go to the "jumbo" size!
    Quote Originally Posted by plee3 View Post
    I have to thank you for this trick. I always had this problem with m.yahoo.com and now I can go to the "jumbo" size!
    Let me get this straight because this is one of the sites i'm having trouble with...

(so you know, I have it bookmarked)
    1. bookmarks ->m.yahoo.com
    2. Rotate horizontal
    3. Rotate vertical
    4. Reload the page

??

So far I still haven't gotten this to work...

*edit

Ok I followed the original instructions and it worked but I have to do this everytime? I would like to use my bookmark without having to type both in and rotate each time I want to visit yahoo. Possible?
    Last edited by JohnnyBiggles; 08/27/2009 at 05:28 PM.
    I use my bookmark for precentral.net...rotate...rotate...back button...bookmark for m.facebook.com
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    If you're into hacking your Pre, I've finally discovered that you can adjust the default browser font sizes in /etc/palm/browser-app.conf.

MinFontSize=8
    MinLogicalFontSize=5
    DefaultFontSize=14
    DefaultFixedFontSize=14

MinTextAutoSizeFontSize=18

I increased mine to:

MinFontSize=24
    MinLogicalFontSize=24
    DefaultFontSize=36
    DefaultFixedFontSize=36

MinTextAutoSizeFontSize=24

Now, while sites like m.precentral.net are pretty large, other sites like m.facebook.com are much more readable without having to zoom and scroll horizontally.

Bounce luna-prefs-service to force the changes to apply:
    stop luna-prefs-service && start luna-prefs-service

Also, don't modify the font settings in /etc/palm/browser.conf, because that'll modify the font setting in GLOBALLY on the phone itself.

UPDATE: Decided to start a new thread, to help highlight what I've found and hopefully start more discussion around the topic of browser tweaking:
    http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...12#post1852812
    Last edited by Beknatok; 08/28/2009 at 11:14 AM.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beknatok View Post
    Now, while sites like m.precentral.net are pretty large, other sites like m.facebook.com are much more readable without having to zoom and scroll horizontally.
    So this means changing the font sizes will modify them for all sites, not just the poorly functioning mobile sites?

I only ask because I frequent m.pretcentral the most on my pre, and the others that are poorly functioning I don't that often, so I don't really want m.precentral to be too large...
    FYI, this this the code to format device width that PreCentral uses:
    Code:
    <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width; initial-scale=1.0; minimum-scale=1.0; maximum-scale=4.0;" />
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bdubbx View Post
    So this means changing the font sizes will modify them for all sites, not just the poorly functioning mobile sites?

I only ask because I frequent m.pretcentral the most on my pre, and the others that are poorly functioning I don't that often, so I don't really want m.precentral to be too large...
    Yes - though I was able to find a happy medium between what m.precentral.com uses and some of the other sites I frequent. YMMV, but I feel that this tweak is better than the whole visit m.precentral.net first, rotate, then go elsewhere method.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beknatok View Post
    Yes - though I was able to find a happy medium between what m.precentral.com uses and some of the other sites I frequent. YMMV, but I feel that this tweak is better than the whole visit m.precentral.net first, rotate, then go elsewhere method.
    Makes total sense...plus, it doesn't seem too difficult of a modification so if I really don't like it, I can just change it back to the stock form...

Added to the list of to-do's tonight!
    Am desperately looking to do this but am newbie - can you tell me how to edit this file. I can open it in internalz pro and can see the settings you are refer to but there doesn't seem to be any way ot edit it