Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Audible keeps passing the buck to Palm. There's no one I can find to contact at Palm. Audible says Palm has to change their firmware to play AA files but the app ALMOST works on Classic. MotionApps doesn't respond to inquiries.

Can SOMEONE PLEASE tackle this? There should be many people besides me happy to pay at least $30 to get this done.
    Thanks,Dave.
    Treo 300,600,650,755p and now Pre
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Just refreshing the thread. With all these music players I am surprised someone has not tried this.
    Not going to happen anytime soon. Audible's aa audiobook files are protected by DRM, in order to decrypt said drm the program would need lower level access than the current SDK would allow. Even if it was possible to do right now, it's unlikely that Audible would release an app as current apps are unobfuscated, not something that a company that uses DRM would support. A third party developer can't really do this either, because they wouldn't have the encryption keys to authenticate and decrypt the DRM wrapper on the files to play them. Someone could perhaps write a linux service to strip the DRM, which in the case of some auidble files would leave a simple aac encoded audio file, but I'm not even sure if audible's encryption has been cracked, and in any case this would be very illegal to release in the US.

If you want to play audible books on your pre, you're just going to have to get them in another format first. Like burning them to cd and ripping them. It's very painful. A classic app could work, but it will probably take some more refinement of the emulator before it gets to that point.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ogremustcrush View Post
    Not going to happen anytime soon. Audible's aa audiobook files are protected by DRM, in order to decrypt said drm the program would need lower level access than the current SDK would allow. Even if it was possible to do right now, it's unlikely that Audible would release an app as current apps are unobfuscated, not something that a company that uses DRM would support. A third party developer can't really do this either, because they wouldn't have the encryption keys to authenticate and decrypt the DRM wrapper on the files to play them. Someone could perhaps write a linux service to strip the DRM, which in the case of some auidble files would leave a simple aac encoded audio file, but I'm not even sure if audible's encryption has been cracked, and in any case this would be very illegal to release in the US.

If you want to play audible books on your pre, you're just going to have to get them in another format first. Like burning them to cd and ripping them. It's very painful. A classic app could work, but it will probably take some more refinement of the emulator before it gets to that point.
    This helps me understand a bit WHY Palm and Audible are being difficult...but...it does work with Classic...just a lot of skips and stutters etc. Thanks for the input. Oh and there are programs spoken of on other forums that crack the security but they seem to have other downsides that could be worse than Classic method..
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    An easier solution would be to have the stock media player support .m4b files. M4b is no different than .m4a (which the Pre supports) just that the media app doesn't support its bookmarking ability.

I know the homebrew app Music Remix has a manual bookmarking feature, so that's a start.

Palm, support m4b's and we'll just have to convert our .aa (audible) files to m4b. Solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by atoy74 View Post
    An easier solution would be to have the stock media player support .m4b files. M4b is no different than .m4a (which the Pre supports) just that the media app doesn't support its bookmarking ability.

I know the homebrew app Music Remix has a manual bookmarking feature, so that's a start.

Palm, support m4b's and we'll just have to convert our .aa (audible) files to m4b. Solved.
    The latest version of Music Player (Remix) has automatic bookmarking as well. Check it out!
    Just got off the phone from Audible, they are indeed now working on an app for the WebOS (as well as Android).

It should be available in about 2 to 3 months.

Also, if any of you have credits that you have not used and your subscription is about to end, and you don't want to lose those credits, call Audible directly (this can't be don't over the web), they are offing a $5 plan that will allow you to roll over all of your unused credits until the WebOS version comes out and then you can do a regular subscription at that point.

If you use all of your credits while on this $5 plan, and you wish to purchase a book without credits you will be charged the full price of the book, which is not a great deal.

So just use up your credit and hopefully by then the WebOS version will be out.

I've also asked that someone from Audible leave an Official Statement here on Precentral.net so that everyone knows what I am saying is real and that they are with us.

So finally, we can relax, it is coming!

Hope this was helpful to some of you!

Rob

PS I've posted this in other Audible threads!
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    That's good news!

I did a search on Audible.com support page and found this answer:

(sorry my post count is too low to put the link here)

"We are continuously evaluating opportunities to expand the Audible platform, and are excited to bring additional wireless access to Audible customers in the future. Unfortunately, the WebOS media player does not currently allow playback of Audible content. We are in discussions with our partners at Palm and hope to be able to deliver an optimal Audible experience for WebOS soon.

We offer all of our partners the ability to playback Audible content, and we'd like to encourage you to also reach out to the Palm development team with your feature request at Palm USA | Mobile Products for Consumers, Professionals, and Businesses..

If you would like to be a part of future beta testing or to be notified of a future WebOS application, please contact (sorry my post count is too low to include the email address here)."

Clicking the email address brings up a partially-filled email asking for WebOS support. I think if they start getting an influx of requests it might instill some confidence in their work and maybe speed things up... maybe.
    I just want to add, that when I personally talked to a person at Audible, he stated that it is indeed being worked on, and Palm is working with them.

Maybe after 1.4 is out, they will have the API's that they need.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)