1.    #1  
    I’m not sure if this is the best place to post, but here it goes… I want to write a front end for the Pre to put information from a web site in a more usable format. Basically, you log in with a user name / password and the site tells you which beers you have drank and which beers you have left, but is not user friendly on a phone. I’d like to be able to DL those lists, add a “beers to drink” list (user created) and have the app compare it to the site and tell you if you have been credited for drinking the beer or not. The problem is, like most sites, everything is PHP. Is there any way to see the hidden code that generates the page so you could access the information?

I suppose a bass ackward way to go about it would be to have the palm app open the page in the background, scan it for certain key words and grab information off it that way. Is there a way in WebOS to open a page in the background of an app and not display it?

Anyone have any ideas on how to do something like this? If you are curious, the site is beerknurd.com.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Sounds like an Old Chicago's Beer Tour App.

97/110 on Tour 2 for me
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
    I am a proud member with a saucer on the wall. I love the tasty brews and think this is an excellent idea, it was always tough to remember what I had tasted before.

Also, you should have a way to add comments from the Pre, it would be awesome to enter them while I'm actually drinking the brew.
  4.    #4  
    yeah comments would be cool too but not sure if it would have to be on phone or updatable to the site? I'm @ 199/200 towards second plate ATM... Waiting for others to finish for a big plate party. Also thought about a beer signal to auto text the regulars asking if they are up for 3?

Update: I got an email from the Saucer asking how they can help me with this project so here's hoping for the best!
    Last edited by sinime; 08/25/2009 at 11:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    I’m not sure if this is the best place to post, but here it goes… I want to write a front end for the Pre to put information from a web site in a more usable format. Basically, you log in with a user name / password and the site tells you which beers you have drank and which beers you have left, but is not user friendly on a phone. I’d like to be able to DL those lists, add a “beers to drink” list (user created) and have the app compare it to the site and tell you if you have been credited for drinking the beer or not. The problem is, like most sites, everything is PHP. Is there any way to see the hidden code that generates the page so you could access the information?

I suppose a bass ackward way to go about it would be to have the palm app open the page in the background, scan it for certain key words and grab information off it that way. Is there a way in WebOS to open a page in the background of an app and not display it?

Anyone have any ideas on how to do something like this? If you are curious, the site is beerknurd.com.
    If the page was written in PHP, there isn't going to be any way for you to get the PHP code from the pages. All PHP code is server-side, so it compiles it all when the page is output to the user. The only thing you'd get from downloading or 'scanning' a PHP page is the output HTML that it spit out into the page for the user to look at. (If that makes any sense)
  6.    #6  
    K, got this from the saucer people...

Hey Bill,

I’m in the process of developing an iPhone application for the site. With that said, we’re going to have to develop some sort of DB API or something to interface with the DB a little better. That will allow for you to do exactly what you want. Until then, I don’t really have much to offer you.

I will say though…the print ticket feature has been brought up multiple times. I hate to be the idea-killer, but I can’t see the option of remote printing working out very well. People will either print tickets and never redeem them since they’re off-site OR tickets will print out while someone is at the kiosk and they’d get all mixed up. We’d have to create something a little more rigid for this idea to come to fruition.

I will keep your name and email on file so when we get this DB interface plugged in and set, you can rock and roll with it.

-AT]
    On a side note, when I was talking to him about the print ticket, it was not that I would expect to print it to paper, just the screen so you could see the description and such...

I'll keep you guys posted when I hear from them again!