Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Had to ask, There are alot of things that i am surfing and other things in PDF that i like to print to a Network printer.

Will this happen or am i off the deep End?????
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Because of the sheer number of different printer types and drivers necessary to use them, printing is probably not in the Pre's immediate future. You probably have two hopes:

1) If the Pro version of Doc View includes a printing service.

2) If Kinkos or one of the other remote-printing services develops an app for the Pre.

My $0.02 is to e-mail it to yourself, or upload it to Kinkos and print it through their system if you're on the road. They supposedly take .PDF files via the web and print them for you.....
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I'd like to see bluetooth printing at the very least.....
    I guess anything is possible. Webos all in all is a Linux Distrobution and would be cool if the open source community were able to migrate printer services & resources from other linux dis.

I would like to see the pre print via bluetooth, wifi, to pfd.

The day I'm able to attach a printer to my pre via micro usb I might just get a chuby.
    I'm pretty sure someone somewhere will want to develop some sort of printer drivers for the Pre. But like mentioned above.. There are an insane amount of printers out there with an equally insane number of drivers floating around.. I wouldn't be too hopeful of seeing this anytime soon.
    What about writing an app that could use a shared printer on a network, all my computers can print from my "homebase". I'm not sure if they download the driver form my host but at least its 1 driver. Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkkticus View Post
    What about writing an app that could use a shared printer on a network, all my computers can print from my "homebase". I'm not sure if they download the driver form my host but at least its 1 driver. Thoughts?
    Hmm.. Could be possible. But then again, that's going to take some serious development from someone who has the capabilities to do so..
    Would be nice to have something that would save/print a file to pdf format similar to the program "cute pdf".
    If they do, I suspect the company, like HP or Canon will create an application and charge money for it. OR some developer with a lot of resources will develop it. If it happens, I would think it will happen when and IF the Pre becomes a hit with Verizon next year. Of course, this is all just speculation, but if I'm not mistaken, there are "generic" drivers that work on some printers, so it might actually be possible for developers that are lacking the resources that well-funded developers have to develop a sophisticated and all-inclusive program. One way to know if its ever been done on these new generation OS systems is to check if the iPhone has it either in their app store or available as a jailbreak method. Sounds like an awesome idea though, wish I had the time to learn this stuff.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Looks feasible enough if someone is willing to do some legwork.
    NSLU2-Linux - HowTo / AddPrinter browse

I would imagine just installing the Generic Postscript printer driver would work for a lot of folks with network printers.

Attached is LPR for the Pre. Just need to figure out how to configure it correctly
    lpr -Pprintername test.txt
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by zonyl; 11/25/2009 at 09:26 PM.
    Bumpity bump...
    Quote Originally Posted by zonyl View Post
    Looks feasible enough if someone is willing to do some legwork.
    NSLU2-Linux - HowTo / AddPrinter browse

I would imagine just installing the Generic Postscript printer driver would work for a lot of folks with network printers.

Attached is LPR for the Pre. Just need to figure out how to configure it correctly
    lpr -Pprintername test.txt
    so is this an app, or a patch? how do i apply it with webos qi?
    Neither as of yet... Still a thought only...
    Would like to think this would be best if brought to us by Palm.
    Native that is, as part of the pdf viewer...
    bumping