1.    #1  
    I'm trying use SSH with putty to gain root access so that i can add the keyboard patch to my pre, but for some reason the connection is terribly slow, and sometimes it even times out. I am using Wi-fi and not the EVDO, and i have a Netgear router.

Does anyone know of any network issues that would cause this to happen. Are there some router settings that i need to change to get proper performance.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    You might want to try using another SSH program such as secureCRT.
    Check out http://PalmPre-Hacks.com where I document every hack I do on my Palm Pre.
    i am having the exact same problem with putty....the connection times out and when it does ask me for login it is extremely slow

i will try the other program now....thanks
  4.    #4  
    thanx i'll try that now. The funny thing is, when i was away on internship, Putty performed fine in my apartment, but when I'm at my parents house, its a no go...
    secure CRT didnt work for me either....quick question: is putty or any other SSH client really needed?
    can i add patches once i gain root access through command prompt?? i heard putty is only used when you don't want to be tied up with a USB cable to the pre
  6.    #6  
    i just tried secure CRT and its still moving really slow... At this point i'd also rather use a USB connection that rely on wi-fi. Does anyone know how to do this?

edit: Nevermind, I found out how to access the root using the command prompt. apparently, if you've ever used putty, you've already done this before.

follow these simple directions to gain root access in command prompt: http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Novcom_on_Windows

once you follow those steps, you have rooted your pre. Now just follow the instructions for whatever tweak you are trying to add as if you are using putty.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 08/24/2009 at 03:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    i just tried secure CRT and its still moving really slow... At this point i'd also rather use a USB connection that rely on wi-fi. Does anyone know how to do this?

edit: Nevermind, I found out how to access the root using the command prompt. apparently, if you've ever used putty, you've already done this before.

follow these simple directions to gain root access in command prompt: Novcom on Windows - WebOS Internals

once you follow those steps, you have rooted your pre. Now just follow the instructions for whatever tweak you are trying to add as if you are using putty.
    yup just figured this out 2 mins ago and was about to post here lol
    my putty got really slow,think it was something i installed,because the whole phone was laggy in general.did web doctor and all is fine again,i think it was between the onscreen keyboard or the internalz app.did either of you install these before your putty troubles?just trying to track down the reason,and it may be neither.