1.    #1  
    i have a 32 bit system.. i got to where it says root@castle on novaterm but im not getting a login pop up to type root in
    Quote Originally Posted by lookngood18 View Post
    i have a 32 bit system.. i got to where it says root@castle on novaterm but im not getting a login pop up to type root in
    You are in! you are at root! If you are accessing root via usb you dont need a password.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    You are in! you are at root! If you are accessing root via usb you dont need a password.
    GREAT... but what do i do now.. i feel so close
    Quote Originally Posted by lookngood18 View Post
    GREAT... but what do i do now.. i feel so close
    What do you mean what do you do now? Why did you get root access?

What do you want to do?
  5.    #5  
    What do you mean what do you do now? Why did you get root access?

What do you want to do?
    haha well i did it for wifi hotspot but i think i got it now.. thnx
    go to the wiki and do step one after you root and install orca i believe it is called that. all u do is copy paste the cod after where it says root. after that install quilt than turn developer mode off, than when done restarting turn developer mode back on, when done restarting again plug back access the linux file system, and then paste the codes you want on your pre.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Runningwarrior08 View Post
    go to the wiki and do step one after you root and install orca i believe it is called that. all u do is copy paste the cod after where it says root. after that install quilt than turn developer mode off, than when done restarting turn developer mode back on, when done restarting again plug back access the linux file system, and then paste the codes you want on your pre.
    okay i rooted it.. but i still am a little bit confused as to how to install other apps.. btw its not letting me copy and paste.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    You are so close.

On your computer, go to webos-internals.org : Next steps - WebOS Internals

(By the way, at the command prompt, you can not cut and paste. You are correct).

Type in the commands to install optware. Create a username and password when asked.
    (Unless your password is super long, you will get what seems to be an error message saying, "Bad Password: too weak". Ignore it and simply retype the same password when asked. You do not have to create a stronger password if you don't want)

When asked Wifi, EVDO, or both, choose both.

Now, you can use PuTTy or similar software to access via the new username/password. You don't have to, though. You can just use the command prompt. The other way is supposedly safer and PuTTy does let you copy/paste, but if you don't want to deal with it, you don't have to)

Then, install Quilt (the patch manager).

When done, go here: Applying Patches - WebOS Internals

and follow the directions under Importing and Applying patches. Quilt includes many of the commonly used patches, but not all. Follow the commands, then reboot and see if it worked. Quilt is nice, because you can easily uninstall patches prior to updating one day

To do other patches, which may involve editing some of the Pre's internal files, click here: Portal:Patches to webOS - WebOS Internals

Some are easy, once you learn the tricks. Some look complicated.

Post back and let us know how you do.

Also, check out QuickInstall in the Homebrew apps forum. The new version auto installs several of the common patches

Good luck!
    Palm V -->m505 -->Tungsten T3-->T5->Centro-->Pre!
  9.    #9  
    wait im stuck now.... i installed quilt and optware. and this is what it says
    root@castle/tmp#
    idk what to do
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    If you installed Quilt, you're ready.

Just go here: Portal:Patches to webOS - WebOS Internals

and follow the directions under Importing and Applying patches

make sure you're in the "cd /" directory
    Then type: quilt import /opt/src/modifications/application/patch-name.patch

That imports the patch into Quilt

Then type: quilt push and it will install the patch
    Palm V -->m505 -->Tungsten T3-->T5->Centro-->Pre!