View Poll Results: What should the name be?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • FitTrack

23 35.94%
  • OnTrack

15 23.44%
  • TrackStar

7 10.94%
  • OpenTrack

19 29.69%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Troy, you appear to have some debug code still on, or maybe it's intentional, but I'm getting a "get location error" at the top when I hit search. That's not surprising, since i'm in a building with almost nonexistent gps reception, but fyi.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtygreek View Post
    Troy, you appear to have some debug code still on, or maybe it's intentional, but I'm getting a "get location error" at the top when I hit search. That's not surprising, since i'm in a building with almost nonexistent gps reception, but fyi.
    It is not exactly debug code, it is not finished error handling code. Make sure your location sevices Terms and Conditions is approved. That error means the GPS service response failed and the #1 reason is the terms and conditions approval.
    Well, it was working for me as of yesterday, but like I say I don't get GPS reception in here anyway. Would that cause the same error? I'll try it again when I get out of my cave of an office.
    Do you have a data connection? or wifi? If no then this could be the problem. You must have a data connection to access the GPS service.
    I do have data, but sometimes it's wonky in here too, though the gps is always out solid. I'll update tonight.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Guys the app looks real good. Did some testing today with my Garmin GPS watch. Things look good. My original posts with the project started had the following enhancements..
    - Save runs
    - When launching MAP. Show the route that was just run and not just location.

Since most of us run a listen to music a short cut to a music player would be nice. But since there are some options other than the stock one you would need to be flexible and allow for any music app to be selected. pandora being one of them
    wow...took my pre out for a run today. I took regulus5's advice and started Pandora before I opened up fitTrack 0.6. It loaded fast and found the satellites fast. I took off for my run after loading the pre in my armband. It was a shortened run because of rain. However everything worked beautifully. This is a known route that I run. I run it so much I know all my tenths of a mile marker up to 4 miles away and back. For back up I used my timex ironman. Time was perfect and so was my mileage. Pace, Speed, and avg. speed were perfect. Beautiful app. I dont kinow if this will work if I dont run Pandora, but this is the first time I have run Pandora in the background and the first time the program has worked for me. I will try it again with and without Pandora in the background. Thanks to all who worked on this program.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    what's the deal with pandora? sounds like someone might have to going in a dig through their code to see what they are doing that is allowing the gps to run in the background. I have no idea how but I know with root acess it is possible to view the files.
    Went for a ride today and had some weird results. One was that the error data still shows up, even though I was obviously getting data. I got correct time and what looked like correct speed, altitude, etc, but my distance was wrong. It said .4 miles but should have been more like 2 or 3. Let me know if there's anything I can send you to help figure that out, or if you have any ideas.

Terms and conditions are approved, or at least, I approved them when I first got the pre and don't get prompted to agree to them when I go to the location services menu, and all other gps apps seem to function fine.

update: The error, if it helps, is

Get Location Error:{"serviceName":"com.palm.location","returnValue":false,"errorCode":-1,"errorText":"com.palm.location is not running."}

Obviously I can see that says location services are not running, but they must be as far as I can tell, plus they're enabled in the menu. Any ideas? Tried disabling then re-enabling them, etc, but no dice.

update 2: Tried disabling and re-enabling again, and I'm not seeing it happen yet, even when I go back into the house where the gps signal fades or disappears. Maybe it's just something wonky on my pre. Dunno. It didn't happen right away when I started my ride, but had the message when I pulled it back out of my pocket again.
    Last edited by dirtygreek; 08/29/2009 at 07:05 PM.
    Did two cycle rides this weekend. one 10 mi and one 20 mi started Pandora first (Traditional Gospel) and new version loaded fast. Statistics were accurate.
    Would still like to see a map file (*GPX).
    Thanks for the great work.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I've always used Pandora when I bike and have not noticed any improvement in accuracy with it, other then earlier versions with the screen shut off issue.

I'd like to know if my distance errors are an anomaly or of they are repeatable with other people. On relatively flat terrain the distance is almost spot on, off by hundredths of a mile. However, when the terrain gets hilly the recorded distance starts to lag behind the actual distance. I would like to know if anyone else is seeing this.

Thanks.
    Im pretty sure the distance calculations are based on a flat earth. So if you went over a bunch of hills I would expect the distance to lag behind.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbrown View Post
    Im pretty sure the distance calculations are based on a flat earth. So if you went over a bunch of hills I would expect the distance to lag behind.
    That has been my assumption and, the reason why I've been tinkering with new distance formulas. Before i got too deep into it i was hoping for some independent verification.
    I have thought about how to include altitude and I think it is going to be a tricky problem, and not just because of the math. The altitude reported by the device is not really accurate. It commonly reports 6-12 meter vertical accuracy. I havent actually tested it, but I would think including altitude in the equation when it is that inaccurate would probably just make matters worse.

On large hills, the altitude reported does generally go up, but not accurately. For example I went up about a 15 meter hill and the reported altitude only went up about 6 meters. But I need to do more testing.

So far the only thing I can think to do is somehow average the altitude change over a certain distance and then add that in at various intervals. Adding it in at the same time you measure the horizontal distance seems like a bad idea from what I have seen so far.

I am going to experiment with my Garmin and see if it includes altitude in its distance calculations.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I'm having the very issue you described. The rate that the GPS samples is too slow to make averaging practical. Ideally, a few samples a second would allow greater precision, but, for now, it seems that we are stuck with the 1 point per second.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Most gps devices even high end hardware that I use for work update once per second. All you can do is interpolate between points. Maybe you can give a general distance in the program itself but when you overlay it onto elevation data you can get an accurate distance. I think Google Earth has elevation data so create a kml of the data and try it in GE.

Or you could try averaging over 5 sec intervals. I assume the small hills will average out over 5 seconds or even 10 and only the large hills would be measured.
    Ok, I am nearly finished with a version complete with my GPS object programming, smoothed speed measurements, and vertical distance adjustment. It is in a separate code set that I will move to svn when I am done.

We still need to finalize a name. Anyone want to start a poll?
    Well, I recalculated a 9 mile bike ride over mostly level terrain, adding in the altitude data, and it added 25 meters to the ride. I recorded the gps data every 5 seconds.

My first assumption was that adding in the altitude data would dramatically alter the distance because of the inaccuracy of the data, but it obviously doesnt.

But maybe I'm doing the math wrong. All I did was figure out the horizontal distance between two points, then use the altitude difference to find the Hypotenuse, and use that as the distance. Am I thinking about this wrong?

If that is right, I did some random calculations and it would seem that unless you were going up and down alot of very tall and steep hills or riding up a mountain, adding in the altitude doesnt make alot of difference to the total distance. But it doesnt hurt to add it in, even though its not very accurate.

I need to see what happens if you add in the alt data while you are walking or jogging.
    FitTrack, already used by a company fittrack.com
    OnTrack, already used by a company telogis.com
    TrackStar. already used by a company trackstar.com

Possible but need to keep checking
    Trekstar
    need more options but google it first
    Bummer.

How about OpenTrack.

I looked up OpenTrack and it does not look like anything big holds this name.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast