View Poll Results: What should the name be?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • FitTrack

23 35.94%
  • OnTrack

15 23.44%
  • TrackStar

7 10.94%
  • OpenTrack

19 29.69%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Couple things I want to respond to - it's great to see so much activity here.

LOAD TIME. I noticed the load time issue intermittently on the older version of PreTrack as well. Once I thought it was my Pre, so I rebooted and then reloaded PreTrack immediately after a reboot and it still took 30-45 seconds to load. I haven't seen it the past few times I've used it though. So I'm not sure what it can be. I'll look through the init code at some point and see if I can find any possible culprits.

PACE AVERAGING. In terms of the whole pace averaging discussion, I'm pretty convinced we need to average pace over at least 10-15 seconds. Any shorter and the irregularities of the GPS data information along with the variableness of the users's speed make the pace change so rapidly that it isn't useful information. When the speed is faster, this actually becomes less critical, but especially at walking speeds, the pace can be highly variable. I think this application will be used primarily by runners, but also by walkers, hikers, etc - so I think sticking with 15 seconds for now makes sense.

RIDIUS: Great to meet you. I've noticed your updates and really appreciated them. I don't mind the green at all - I like it and I like the slight gradient especially. Did you see my thoughts on long term UI strategy - something similar to WootOn? What do you think about that? Do you have any interest in starting to look at it?

SCREEN OFF ISSUE: The little bit of investigation I did made it seem like the activity power manager would only work is you spoofed your application to have a "palm" id. I think a better route to go would be to figure out how to make it work in the background. I'm even thinking of a tray level notifier that could have time and distance, maybe even pause and start. I think if we manage to get it running that way, then it would work even if the screen shuts off. But I'm not sure - we'd have to play with it.

Those are my thoughts for now. Thanks everyone!
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ridius View Post
    Getting to the graphics, I saw one post about not liking the green, one post about liking it. What would you think about having a poll to suggest root color's for a theme?
    Hi,

Thanks for the offer, it's a good idea although it sounds like any further UI tweaks will be down the road after some of the core features and issues are worked out.

The only reason I gave protest about the green was that I actually really liked the old UI and the new colors seemed so... jarring. The green look isn't all that bad really, just seems a bit flashy and is less appealing to me.

BTW, I tried the app tonight during a walk around a track. Noticed issues with the long lag/load time on the initial load of the app, and it seemed to stop tracking after a while (I assume due to the issues with the screen going off). I have had the issue with the lag on launch with the old version but hadn't had the issue with the tracking stopping, but previously I was using the old version while jogging and listening to music so perhaps the music app was keeping the device awake?
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefplt View Post
    Did you see my thoughts on long term UI strategy - something similar to WootOn? What do you think about that? Do you have any interest in starting to look at it?
    Hi Chiefpit,

Haven't had a chance to look at WootOn yet, but will today. I did read your suggestion and I like where you're going with the different views. I already talked to Troy about it and I'm going to mock up some additional scenes. I think this would be a great way to do some different UI styles/themes and then our beta testers could comment on which one they like the best. We've gotten a few posts about UI already that I can use for inspiration, so I'll start from there.

Ridius
    Folks, this is great. A huge thanks to all of you. I agree that the green is a bit much, but that doesn't matter as much to me as the functionality, which is a big improvement.
    I used it today on my run and I had the same issue with the load time of the app. I waited over a minute the first time, I waited a minute the second time, and then I restarted my Pre...and it still took about 45 seconds to finally load FitTracker. Once it was up, I did my run and it worked great. I'll keep testing and updating when I can.
    I did a little testing today as well. I am not sure why the load time is not so great. There is nothing that needs to load, its just setting up the scene. hmmm.

I started building the object that is going to hold the GPS points and the route. I modified an old version of the app to extract some raw data on a walk outside. This will help to know what kind of data we are dealing with. I think this is a start to making sure our points are accurate and our data is smooth.

On the issues:
    Pace Averaging: I think it is worth looking into not just averaging in seconds but averaging in valid incoming points. The object I am creating can have methods to do this averaging on the fly.

Screen Off:
    I have not experienced this. What I did experience was it looked like it stopped but I just let is run and it raced back and caught up and continued as normal. Once it happens to me I might be able to help.

Glad to see you on the forums Ridius! Keep up the research into all that cool UI stuff.
    Ohh and as for names I have another suggestion. OnTrack

So we have FitTrack, OnTrack, TrackStar.

Any others?
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I deal with a lot of gps data for work and wrote a program to store them into a database. If y'all need any help or have any questions on how to deal with the data just PM me. Would be glad to help.
    hello everyone. let me start by thanking everyone that is working on this app. It is much appreciated not only by me but I'm sure by many runners, cyclists,hikers,etc. Downloaded the 0.6 beta and took it out for a test. The load time of the app was fast for me,,about 6 or 7 seconds. Satellites were found very quickly. So I hit start and took off. I put the phone in an arm band and didn't touch it till I got home. When I looked at the display the time was perfect. However distance read 1.27 miles. I let it proceed a little bit hoping it would 'catch up'. I did this for a minute but it never changed. The pace and average speed reflected results for a 1.27 mile jog, not a 3 mile jog. I dont mind the green color. Hope this helps
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dmendi View Post
    hello everyone. let me start by thanking everyone that is working on this app. It is much appreciated not only by me but I'm sure by many runners, cyclists,hikers,etc. Downloaded the 0.6 beta and took it out for a test. The load time of the app was fast for me,,about 6 or 7 seconds. Satellites were found very quickly. So I hit start and took off. I put the phone in an arm band and didn't touch it till I got home. When I looked at the display the time was perfect. However distance read 1.27 miles. I let it proceed a little bit hoping it would 'catch up'. I did this for a minute but it never changed. The pace and average speed reflected results for a 1.27 mile jog, not a 3 mile jog. I dont mind the green color. Hope this helps
    this is because when the screen turns off the program continues to run, but the gps doesn't continue to spit out coordinates. This is why the time seemed correct yet everything else was incorrect.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by troymiller View Post
    Ohh and as for names I have another suggestion. OnTrack

So we have FitTrack, OnTrack, TrackStar.

Any others?
    my vote goes to Ontrack. maybe gather a couple more names and make a poll?
    I used it this morning and it loaded quick both times. Not sure why I was having so much trouble the previous times. Everything else worked very smooth. First time I used it was a run and the second time was a walk.

One question: If you pause your walk/run/bike/etc and end up in a different location, it seems to include that distance when you start it up again. Is there a way to not include that? I take the bus to work and was trying to figure out how much I walk from home to bus stop and bus stop to my work's building.

Thanks!
    regulus5
    Are you touching the screen to keep it active? or playing music? my screen goes blank after about 41 seconds. The app recorded 1.27 miles for a 3 mile jog. if it stopped after the screen went blank than I ran 1.27 miles in 41 seconds. I completely left the pre alone after I started it and put it in my arm band. Would like to know what you might be doing that I am not. Thanks for any help.
    regulus5
    Are you touching the screen to keep it active? or playing music? my screen goes blank after about 41 seconds. The app recorded 1.27 miles for a 3 mile jog. if it stopped after the screen went blank than I ran 1.27 miles in 41 seconds. I completely left the pre alone after I started it and put it in my arm band. Would like to know what you might be doing that I am not. Thanks for any help.
    Dmendi:
    I open FitTrack and Pandora together. Once FitTrack is loaded and ready to start, Pandora is already streaming music, and I let it start tracking. I lock my phone and put it in my pocket (i really do need an arm band, though). It has been accurate from what I have seen. I checked by taking the car almost exactly my running routes and it pretty close to the 1/10 of a mile.
    Hello all!

So, I just wanted to write a quick post because I was able to get some proof-of-concept code to work today and it made me very excited. In summary, I was able to add a permanently-on-screen control that lets you change views in the app. The great thing about it is that not only does the code work, but it's scalable to work with as many views as we need for the app.

Here's what this will allow us to do going forward:
    • For the next beta release, provide a different view for each scene which will let our testers decide which one we should use.
    • Display data more efficiently (e.g. moving Statistics data to a separate view)
    • A whole bunch more stuff that I don't want to list out because Troy and Chiefpit might shoot me if I do

I haven't compiled a binary yet because the code was simply proof-of-concept, the 2nd scene is blank, and the control used to switch scenes isn't final. My next step will be to design Icons for the different views and build a new control using the different icons. This will allow you to tap on an icon to jump directly to a specific view.

So that leads me to a question: what views should we have in our app? Based on existing and currently-being-developed features, I was thinking:
    1. Main View - The start, pause, timer, pace, etc info
    2. Extra Info View = the stuff that shows up when you turn statistics on
    3. Data view = managing saved data/routes/coordineates/whatever

Post a reply and let me know your thoughts!

Ridius
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ridius View Post
    So that leads me to a question: what views should we have in our app? Based on existing and currently-being-developed features, I was thinking:
    1. Main View - The start, pause, timer, pace, etc info
    2. Extra Info View = the stuff that shows up when you turn statistics on
    3. Data view = managing saved data/routes/coordineates/whatever
    Sounds reasonable to me. Again, I'm excited by the work you guys are doing and very glad you folks decided to continue this project (and that the original dev turned the code over).
    Ridius,

All of that sounds great right now. I'm drawing a blank for any new thoughts but, I say, let us test it out and then give you feedback and possible new suggestions/ideas. It's easier for me to think while or after I've just used it.
    Ridius and I fixed the loading issue. Post with new stuff forthcoming.
    I think it is time we post our changes as the new published version. Before we do that we need to finalize a name. We have those three suggestions so can someone put up a poll? (I have never done a poll).

The loading issue is fixed and here is the new beta link. There was a link in the index.html pointing to a jsjsjs $file$ $on$ $google$'$s$ $server$. $I$ $think$ $this$ $was$ $an$ $attempt$ $to$ $fix$ $the$ $find$ $map$ $button$. $This$ $had$ $to$ $be$ $loaded$ $which$ $triggered$ $the$ $network$ $call$. $This$ $is$ $why$ $it$ $took$ $so$ $long$. $In$ $some$ $cases$ $it$ $would$ $just$ $timeout$.

http://pretracker.googlecode.com/fil...0.6.28_all.ipk
    Notice that last digits will be the svn number.

We need a few of the beta testers to give this one a go and make sure nothing is broken.

Now we need to post an update to the homebrew thread. What should we say?

To recap here is what we need.

• Choose Name
    • Retest beta
    • New update post

Thanks for all the feedback and support!
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast