View Poll Results: What should the name be?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • FitTrack

23 35.94%
  • OnTrack

15 23.44%
  • TrackStar

7 10.94%
  • OpenTrack

19 29.69%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    I think option 1 would be fine if you have time until we get a new name.

Anybody else?
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by troymiller View Post
    I think option 1 would be fine if you have time until we get a new name.

Anybody else?
    just send me the ipk and what you want the description to be and i'll post it.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    There were some issues with data collection after the screen shut off. Has that been addressed?
    I just tested it outside and the screen went off. When I turned in back on it continued as normal.

I think this version is ready for release so testers and hammer on it and see how it does.
  5.    #25  
    I agree with kmax12, let's release a new version under a new name. That's the best way going forward. I've suggested "FitTrack" - if there are other suggestions, post them here and we'll create a poll.

Troy, is your latest build using the changes I've committed to the code repository? I'd love for more people to be testing those. I added some stuff for pace averaging and speed calculation that I'd like others to look through.

I'm not sure either that 30 seconds is the best window to average pace over. Right now, in the init function of the program I have two variables: "paceinterval" which specifies the time over which to average pace calculation and "paceupdate" which specifies how frequently to update the pace (updating every second was kind of meaningless when you are averaging it over some period of time). Right now those variables are set to "30" and "5". But we can change them. Maybe we should set them to "15" and "5" for the 0.6 release and see what people think about that. I'd also like to add an "average pace" field next to pace. I'm not sure how to fit it into the UI, but I know I'd like to know my current pace as well as my average pace over the whole run when I'm running.

My last thought I had was more long range. I was looking at the "WootOn" application and thinking that I'd like to see our UI move in that direction. I was thinking we could have four main screens:
    - Current Activity, which would have the top of the current screen, cleaned up a bit.
    - Details, which would have the information currently stored under "Statistics"
    - Log, which would have a screen showing a log of saved runs. So after you complete a track, you can choose to save it and the summary information will be saved in the DB. This page will show all saved tracks.
    - Chart, which would show a selection of charts/graphs for the saved tracks. Things like pace, distance travelled, time ran, etc. I used a program on my Treo that had a great screen like this.

If someone who knows more about UI wants to start designing this, that would be great. It will be a while before I can take a look at it and I'm not the best UI person anyway. But I'll start it if no one else gets to it.

In summary, it sounds like we need to
    1) Finalize on a new name;
    2) Release 0.6 version under that new name using the current build;

Sound right?
  6.    #26  
    I posted my last post before reading these on page 2... I kind of think we should pick a name before releasing our build, but I can be talked out of that...
    chiefplt,

Lets use your name and if we come up with something else we can change it then.

I like your ideas on the screens. I will take a look at the garmin software and see what they do for review after a run.

So I compiled the lastest build and uploaded it google code. I think it would be good to have a few testers try it before releasing to fileCoaster and the homebrew apps.

http://pretracker.googlecode.com/fil..._0.6.0_all.ipk

-Troy
    Downloading now. I will be able to test it tonight maybe if not tomorrow. Should I post my results here or in the Home-brew Aps forum? If yes to the second, I'd recommend creating a new post so us testers can give you some results!

Thanks again for all of your efforts.
    Post in here and after we will post in the official thread

-Troy
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clerick44 View Post
    There were some issues with data collection after the screen shut off. Has that been addressed?
    I think I saw some way to keep the screen on for 15 minutes at a time. Not sure where I saw but it was definitely on palm's developer forums. I'll take a look for it again tomorrow.
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    I'm thrilled that you guys are picking up where the original developer left off, many thanks for your efforts. I downloaded, will give it a shot sometime this week and report back if there are any issues. One minor minor report - I'm very sad to see the color pallet of the original app be replace by the bright green UI of this new one. Ugg (sorry), ugg (sorry), ugg (sorry).
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I've been thinking on the pace issue and I don't know that the ability to adjust the averaged period is necessary. I've been playing with some numbers and I think that taking a three second average would work better for smoothing.

I've also been playing with some other speed/time type devices and I've noticed something interesting. If you are out for a run and suddenly stop, most of the devices I tested will slowly return to zero over a period of a few seconds. I'm trying to formulate a simple way to build a similar smoothing into my formulas and also the existing pace formulas.

I found a link to Google Maps API reference Google Maps API | Google Groups It may be old info for you coders but, it appears that they are using XML files to save the data.

Something for the future is the ability to switch from miles to kilometers.
    Last edited by clerick44; 08/25/2009 at 05:35 AM.
    I used it this morning. It was about a 1/2 mile walk. So far so good. It was able to calculate everything at a slower pace - which the previous build did not. The load time was on the slow end. I waited 30 seconds the first time, I closed the card and re-opened twice, before it finally worked on the third try after about 30-45 seconds. Pause definitely works much better. It stops everything and resume without any issues. i tried it twice.

I don't mind the green color - it looks better than the gray. Don't worry about that though - keep working on the inside before you all worry about the appearance.

I will be testing it again tonight on a normal run.
    Not a code guy (logistics and marketing) but a user.
    New version a little slower to load but functions smoother. Occasionally resets distance, could this be from a lost signal?
    Great work everyone.
    Thanks Robert
    Yes it does take longer to load. The last version took very few coordinates before starting to run. This meant that the accuracy was poor when it started and threw some of the variables off from the start. It may take a bit so be sure to stand outside with few to no obstructions to the sky.

That is strange that it is resetting the distance. It should have been fixed. Good to know. This is why we release a beta first.

The tracker should be detecting when it looses singnal and should not record again until signal is returned.
    Sorry, let me clarify. The load time I'm referring to is how long it took for the application to load - not the "find location" button. Like, right now I opened FitTrack and it took about 20 seconds before the app loaded to be able to use it.
    Hey All,

Just thought I'd introduce myself. Long-time friend of Troy's and fellow programmer collaborating on the FitTracker project. My main role is going to be UI and Graphics.

Getting to the graphics, I saw one post about not liking the green, one post about liking it. What would you think about having a poll to suggest root color's for a theme?

FYI, eventually I'd like to make the app theme-able so you can pick your own, but let's focus on baby steps first :P

Ridius
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Personally I'd prefer a white background with red or maybe blue accents. The green just seems to scream and, in my opinion, makes the screen hard to focus on.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kmax12 View Post
    I think I saw some way to keep the screen on for 15 minutes at a time. Not sure where I saw but it was definitely on palm's developer forums. I'll take a look for it again tomorrow.
    so I could seem to find it again, but here is a discussion that the devs might be interested in.

Forums webOS • View topic - activityStart in Power Mgt services - does it actually work?
    Hey guys, just a name suggestion.

If this will be used by runners/athletes why not call it "TrackStar"
    I think if you're going for a less athletic approach "TrackSter" would be awesome.

Keep up the good work!
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast