Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45
  1. jk175d's Avatar
    Posts
    45 Posts
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    #21  
    Dave, I just loaded it this morning and ran through a pretend round in my living room.

    here are some thoughts:

    1) I like the course search radius slider. Maybe default to 5 miles would make sense though.

    2) I deleted all the per-existing players and created two new ones. When I "played" my round, even though I selected both players to play the round, only one player showed up on the scorecard. I redid this several times and always the same thing. The 2nd player added was always the only one to show up. bug?

    3) no GPS ??? I thought that was going to be a part of it?

    4) I like the scoring layout and that default is par and 2 putts. I also like the GIR checkbox. Though I'd also like to see a drive in fairway checkbox. This could get a little too cluttered for that one screen, but as I mentioned before, I like the way intelligolf allows you to click on a given player to track per hole data such as yardages, club selection, and fairway/green stats including where it was missed (left,right,short,long) not just hit or miss.
    It would be great to integrate GPS so that wherever you are on the hole standing over your ball you could press a button that would use GPS to record distance to the center of the green from that point. You could even go so far as to allow in player prefferences to configure club yardages for saved players (ie: 8 iron=138-147, 7 iron=148-156, 6 iron= 157-165, etc...) so that when gps is used to record remaining distance club selection (though editable) would default to the pre-configured club based on yardage. This would make the usage convienient in the round.

    So I'm still in favor of being able to click on a given player to go to a new screen to record all of the shot/yardage data a la intelligolf.

    I guess that's it so far....
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by jk175d View Post
    Dave, I just loaded it this morning and ran through a pretend round in my living room.

    here are some thoughts:

    1) I like the course search radius slider. Maybe default to 5 miles would make sense though.
    I already changed this to 5 miles when I fixed the bug so that the slider could only go as low as 1 mile.

    Quote Originally Posted by jk175d View Post
    2) I deleted all the per-existing players and created two new ones. When I "played" my round, even though I selected both players to play the round, only one player showed up on the scorecard. I redid this several times and always the same thing. The 2nd player added was always the only one to show up. bug?
    I'll have to run through this scenario and try it out to see what happens. Will get back to you and let you know.

    Quote Originally Posted by jk175d View Post
    3) no GPS ??? I thought that was going to be a part of it?
    For right now there is PinFinder which uses the same course data, and since the Pre is multitasking then having 2 apps open shouldn't be a major deal. That said I think that my ultimate goal will be to have some kind of GPS tracking within the app.

    Quote Originally Posted by jk175d View Post
    4) I like the scoring layout and that default is par and 2 putts. I also like the GIR checkbox. Though I'd also like to see a drive in fairway checkbox. This could get a little too cluttered for that one screen, but as I mentioned before, I like the way intelligolf allows you to click on a given player to track per hole data such as yardages, club selection, and fairway/green stats including where it was missed (left,right,short,long) not just hit or miss.
    It would be great to integrate GPS so that wherever you are on the hole standing over your ball you could press a button that would use GPS to record distance to the center of the green from that point. You could even go so far as to allow in player prefferences to configure club yardages for saved players (ie: 8 iron=138-147, 7 iron=148-156, 6 iron= 157-165, etc...) so that when gps is used to record remaining distance club selection (though editable) would default to the pre-configured club based on yardage. This would make the usage convienient in the round.

    So I'm still in favor of being able to click on a given player to go to a new screen to record all of the shot/yardage data a la intelligolf.

    I guess that's it so far....
    These things will come, I promise, but they will take time for me to get done. I could potentially at least put the fairway hit checkbox on the screen. The screen actually scrolls left to right, or if you turn it landscape then there is more room to play with.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by jk175d View Post
    2) I deleted all the per-existing players and created two new ones. When I "played" my round, even though I selected both players to play the round, only one player showed up on the scorecard. I redid this several times and always the same thing. The 2nd player added was always the only one to show up. bug?
    I just checked this and yes, looks like a bug. I'll put that on the list and get it fixed, hopefully today.
  4.    #24  
    Ok, fixed the bug with a player not showing up on the score card.

    Some good testing going on here that is helping me to make this app a little smoother. Hopefully I'll have time also to keep working on adding functionality to this app

    I have emailed all beta testers the updated app with the bug fixes.
    Last edited by DaveInFL; 08/24/2009 at 11:30 AM.
  5.    #25  
    Got an email from one of the beta testers so wanted to post that persons feedback here with my comments:

    Fonts are pretty small, a little hard to read
    Assume this means on the scoring screen. Perhaps I am just used to smaller fonts but they seem fine to me. Not something that I'm going to need to always read. If I make the fonts bigger then things will get pushed over to the right probably pushing the GIR off the screen in portrait mode. Maybe the solution is to force landscape mode, but would need to check if all 4 players can fit on the screen downwards when in landscape with bigger fonts.

    the scoring screen, the integer pickers are pretty hard to hit as well as the GIR checkbox. You've got screen real estate, i'd use it
    Agree with you on the integer pickers and will look into this. GIR checkbox seems fine to me and I don't have a problem hitting it at all. Part of this goes back to the first point and the size. I did some css changes to the integer picker (as the default is pretty big) but may have over done it. Will add it to my list of things to fix.

    The graphics are unnecessary, I personally would remove them. It doesn't add anything and makes for some funky screen transitions
    Will probably put this to a poll later on.

    The search screen is kinda klunky, I wasn't sure about the location slider or if i was searching by name or what. and the course should be added when i click on it, not click on the search result and then click add. That doesn't make much sense (prompt confirm maybe instead)
    It's meant to be a flexible search. If you enter a name it will search by name. If you leave the name blank then it will search by distance. I think this is more about understanding how it works. I like the idea of adding a course when clicked on with a prompt. I think that will be much cleaner.

    on the search screen, hitting enter instead of having to click the button would be nice
    Agreed, will look at adding this.

    I'm not a huge fan of the palm-dark style, maybe a preference to change to the light?
    I'm not sure I'd know how to go about doing this in a way that is easy and flexible. I'll put this on the list as something to look at in the future.
  6.    #26  
    Enter key will now submit the course search as well as the button.
  7.    #27  
    This is the next part of the app that I am working on
    Attached Images Attached Images
  8.    #28  
    It's all gone quiet with my Beta testers Perhaps that means that this app is now flawless.. ROFL.

    I know that is not the case.

    No worries, I will keep plugging away here adding new functionality.
  9. jk175d's Avatar
    Posts
    45 Posts
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    #29  
    I tried using golf caddie as a score keeper along with golf pin finder for GPS today. Battery died on the 15th hole

    I didn't get the new version you upped today until after the round.

    Haven't had any new feedback for you simply because I already said all I had to say about it until there is more to it to try out.

    I do know that even though multitasking is cool on the Pre, I definately would rather have scoring and GPS in ONE app to minimize fiddling around during the round and hopefully to not kill the battery quite so fast!
  10.    #30  
    jk175d, that sucks that your Pre ran out of battery juice by the 15th hole
  11.    #31  
    One minor update added. GIR is now automatically calculated and is pushed off to the right on the scoring screen and the FH checkbox has been moved to the left.

    You'll also be glad to know that I am now working on adding GPS functionality to the app It might be basic at first but it should suffice to give you readings for each hole
  12.    #32  
    Now with GPS distances too

    The GPS screen is basic but it should provide what is needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  13. jk175d's Avatar
    Posts
    45 Posts
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    #33  
    great! it's coming along.

    I have to say, I'm not crazy about the dark gray background or the yellow text, that's subjective though.
  14.    #34  
    jk175d.

    At some point I'll have some options for colour schemes, but I don't feel it's too important right now as I'd much rather add more functionality to the app

    That said, is it the Palm dark theme that you don't like, the yellow text on the dark theme (in which case what would you suggest?) or both ?
  15.    #35  
    Did some more minor fixes last night and now you can also select which hole to jump to by hitting the hole number in the upper part of the scoring screen For those of you that like to skip multiple holes.

    I'll be uploading this app to the Home Brew App store very soon for wider testing and feedback.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  16.    #36  
    New features that I'll be adding today

    Ability to choose to play 9 or 18 holes, front or back nine.

    The scorecard will adapt accordingly

    Planning to have this into the Home Brew section by Friday night.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  17. #37  
    Great work Dave. I look forward to testing it for you and providing some constructive feedback. I think you and moserjj (golfpinfinder) have provided a valuable resource for golfers like myself with your applications. Keep up the great work.
  18.    #38  
    Thanks Alex. Appreciate the feedback. It's been a lot of hard work so far but also a lot of fun
  19. rvspinx#WN's Avatar
    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    #39  
    Just got done doing my initial testing and I am definetly impressed. Here are my findings, questions and feature requests:

    Battery Usage was outstanding. I started at 99% battery and ended a 2 1/2 hour round at 84% memory. I turned off the screen after each range check.

    Ease of Use also a plus. Setting myself and the common courses I play took about 2 minutes, entering scores was simple.

    GPS: Gps seemed to be accurate +/- a few yards and I REALLY like the other info presented such as yards to carry water, back of the fairway, etc. I know this will totally depend on what has been entered into the course database but knowing the app shows it is good.

    I could not find any glaring bugs, this was my first outing since getting the app so more testing will be done.

    I was curious about the MARK button, I couldn't figure out what it did.

    Features I'd love to see in order:

    Drive Distance -
    Sand Save -
    For saved rounds a way to see the "scorecard" possibly with squares around pars, cirlces birdies, etc.
  20. #40  
    Dave,
    Do you think you are still on track to release this to homebrew today? I would like to give it a shot this weekend when i play. If not, any chance of joining the group of beta testers?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions