1.    #1  
    can anyone tell me a way to edit the rooted pre on the desktop rather then using Vi?

thanx
    Are you still using terminal, or do you mean is there a way to edit files without terminal?
    aka lunareclipse
    You can find me here:
    Twitter
    Pre Themes
    In my opinion, vi is probably the best text editor in existence.
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    Word. why would anybody want to use anything else?
    You could install and use emacs instead, but you wouldn't have space to install anything else afterwards, and your battery life would be cut in half.
    Use WinScp and you can edit in a windows environment aka. notepad, Couldnt be easier.

Setup SFTP - WebOS Internals

WinSCP :: Download

Doug
  7.    #7  
    ok. when the instruction call for, "goto line number...and EDIT...", or when it says: "get filr /xxx/xxx/xxxx/xxxxx/xxxx/xxxxx" how to i go to that file/line to edit?
    Personally, Notepad++ works the best for me, both for development and modding the Pre. Then copy back/forth to the device.

Still, you really should learn to use vi. If nothing else, for "quick & dirty" edits directly on the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    ok. when the instruction call for, "goto line number...and EDIT...", or when it says: "get filr /xxx/xxx/xxxx/xxxxx/xxxx/xxxxx" how to i go to that file/line to edit?
    Was that directed to me?

If so in winscp, navigate to the desired file then right click and choose edit, then save.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    Was that directed to me?

If so in winscp, navigate to the desired file then right click and choose edit, then save.
    ok. also when i want to copy a file and overwrite it (different theme) it want let me. any ideas? thank you
    you probably don't have rewrite privileges. go into putty (click the "open this session in putty" button in winscp) as root and do this:

mount -o remount,rw

this will allow you to do whatever you want to do in winscp as far as overwriting files.

be sure to put it back in read only mode when you're done:

mount -o remount,ro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricyteach View Post
    you probably don't have rewrite privileges. go into putty (click the "open this session in putty" button in winscp) as root and do this:

mount -o remount,rw

this will allow you to do whatever you want to do in winscp as far as overwriting files.

be sure to put it back in read only mode when you're done:

mount -o remount,ro
    You are correct sir! sorry I forgot to mention that I sometimes dont think to mention somethings that are obvious to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    haha....ah there is now way its your favorite.

what about nano, gedit, etc...?

on pc what about editplus?
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    vi /xxx/xxx/xxxx/xxxxx/xxxx/xxxxx

Once you're in vi, you'll see a silly line/column counter on the bottom of the screen.

To jump to a specific line, press the ESC key, type in the line number, and press capital G. To wit, for line 45, type: ESC45G and you're there.

There's probably more vi tutorials on the web than there are Pre's in circulation. Feel free to find one and expand your computer knowledge:

Let me google that for you
    Quote Originally Posted by number1pete View Post
    haha....ah there is now way its your favorite.

what about nano, gedit, etc...?

on pc what about editplus?
    Please tell me you're joking.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    vi /xxx/xxx/xxxx/xxxxx/xxxx/xxxxx

Once you're in vi, you'll see a silly line/column counter on the bottom of the screen.

To jump to a specific line, press the ESC key, type in the line number, and press capital G. To wit, for line 45, type: ESC45G and you're there.

There's probably more vi tutorials on the web than there are Pre's in circulation. Feel free to find one and expand your computer knowledge:

Let me google that for you
    thank you.
    I prefer just to use winscp instead of command line- right click the file, click edit, and just use the winscp edit tool.

Much easier than vi imo.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I cant stress enough how much I hate vi, Its like going backwards.
    But right now..I guess i have to deal with it; not the first time i had to use it (college project)

on Windows, textpad is the way to go, regular expressions for the win.
    whatever floats your boat, buddy.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Glod View Post
    I cant stress enough how much I hate vi, Its like going backwards.
    But right now..I guess i have to deal with it; not the first time i had to use it (college project)

on Windows, textpad is the way to go, regular expressions for the win.
    could u please walk me thru, step by step to how to access the file, grab it, and edit on windows? stil havent done that... thank u so very much