Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    We would all love an application that can send a text blast to a mass amount of contacts in our phone books. To send to a category of contacts.

The Blackberry can do this by default.. The old treo had third party programs such Picture Sms that allowed you to do this. Such app can generate sales or donations.

Im willing to make a donation for this development.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    +1

I would love to be able to send an SMS to multiple recipients and also multiple images to a single recipient.
    +1

The best solution would be for Palm to allow contact grouping - BlackBerry's implementation is simple and easy to use...but I would definitely be willing to pay for a 3rd Party Program that would accomplish this.
    You guys can do that now, it's just not as easy as checking a box (would be nice).

When you open the messaging app, click the plus symbol at the bottom to "compose" a new message. At the top, where it wants the person you are sending it to, just add multiple people. I routinely send 7-8 people different messages and pictures (people that I know don't mind that sort of thing). It will do normal SMS and it will also do MMS, just click the attachment button in the bottom right after you add all the names in.

Could be easier, sure, and there is no excuse for not being able to copy/paste/forward previously received/sent messages, but mass SMS/MMS is not a missing feature.
  5.    #5  
    No fool.. we are talking about mass text messaging. Sending to hundreds of people. That the 10 people crap the pre offers.

"Mass Text Messaging"

The people replying in this forum, know what im talking about. We are not newbies.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    +1

This is something that I would definitely be willing to donate for. I almost didn't get this phone because of the lack of such an ability. However, I consoled myself with the thought that it will be possible relatively soon.

While it is possible to send out a sms message to several different contacts currently, the fact is that I don't have time to select 50+ contacts several times a day. In order to be practical, I need to be able to quickly select the pre-defined group.

One idea that I had recently - what about using Google Voice to allow this to happen? I realize that this would cause a rather lengthy delay as the message is sent, but the multitasking abilities of the phone should take care of this.

I also realize that Palm has not currently made this easy to do. If I remember right, the SDK currently only supports sending out a single sms message at a time. However, again, this should be simple to deal with.

Currently, I have been forced to use Twitter for my needs in this area. There is a pretty major problem, however. Twitter is not very reliable. Being able to send a sms message to those people I need to be in contact with would be much much better.
  7.    #7  
    We agree. Can a programmer work on this now?
    Quote Originally Posted by ronniebrasco View Post
    No fool.. we are talking about mass text messaging. Sending to hundreds of people. That the 10 people crap the pre offers.

"Mass Text Messaging"

The people replying in this forum, know what im talking about. We are not newbies.
    I really hope you never need help from centro 85, I'll tell you if that had been directed at me I would have jumped in your ***.

You come in here ( yes w/ 7 posts you ARE a noob) w /7 posts and no thanks and call a respected member w/ 350 posts and has been thanked over 30 times and call him a fool.. you should be glad I'm not a moderator because you would definitely be banned.

Sorry for the rant and getting off the topic, This kind of disrespect just really pisses me off.

Doug
    Take 'er easy Doug. me and my buddies say 'no fool' to each other all the time. Im sure he didn't mean any disrespect. There are a lot of people in the entertainment/social networking biz who need a way to mass text hundreds of people on a daily basis
    Quote Originally Posted by PreMenstrualSyndrome View Post
    Take 'er easy Doug. me and my buddies say 'no fool' to each other all the time. Im sure he didn't mean any disrespect. There are a lot of people in the entertainment/social networking biz who need a way to mass text hundreds of people on a daily basis
    I apologize! I apparently took it the wrong way, I'm trying to quit smoking and little things hit me the wrong way sometimes.

again I apologize, Its all Good

Doug
  11.    #11  
    Lets get going on this mass/group text messagin thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    I apologize! I apparently took it the wrong way, I'm trying to quit smoking and little things hit me the wrong way sometimes.

again I apologize, Its all Good

Doug
    I took it the same way you did, but I just got used to ignoring nonsense on the interweb. A lot of times people type things in an odd way that doesn't read the way they meant it (like above), or people just act like azzhats on the web cause they can etc. Not worth worrying about. Most the time people don't mean to come off .. abrasive.. it's just their writing style. No harm no foul, I was just trying to help. Thanks for the back up though My father has cancer again, so I haven't been checking PreCentral as much as I would like.

I too would like a way to add a "group" and simply select the group rather than typing all the names in. Fortunately for me, I only send "mass" messages to a few select people that I KNOW don't mind getting them. I am more concerned with Text Forwarding than group messaging, but this would be a nice app to have.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I take "mass text" as meaning the ability to send out a large number of text messages at once.
    The reason why this is referred to in this way has to do with the way that it is labeled through google searches and such.

What is really being asked is not the ability to send out spam, but the ability to send out messages to large groups.

For example: I volunteer with a not-for-profit organization. It's purpose is to help at-risk young people (those in their teens and early twenties). The organization consists of many people that were at one time, themselves, at-risk, and are only a few years older than those that they are trying to help. (there is a point to all this, please be patent).
    As this is a primarily young crowd that does not have a lot of money, the best way to communicate with both members of the organization, and those they are trying to help, is through text messaging. For example, if an event is being thrown on a saturday night, it is best to remind everyone via text a day or so before (as young minds tend to easily forget). Also, event planning meetings are most easily reminded, and confirmed through text message as well. In addition, if a date suddenly changes, it is easiest to communicate this through text as well.
    These are people, again, without a lot of money. As such, some of them don't even have regular internet access. However, they do have phones. I think the fact that someone wouldn't want to develop an application for this purpose to be ridiculous.
    The idea that since YOU wouldn't need it is also rather closed minded. There are many people less fortunate than you are.
    The other idea, that this could be used for spam, is also ridiculous. Why would anyone sending out spam via text every bother with a phone? There are plenty of internet services that offer Computer-to-phone text messaging. It would be much cheaper for a spammer to use one of these services rather than risk having their phone shut down due to complaints to the carrier.
    So again, would anyone be willing to develop such an application? Please? There will be donations, and you will be helping many people in their struggle for a better life.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    I am more concerned with Text Forwarding than group messaging, but this would be a nice app to have.
    If you have gotten root level access, there's a pretty simple mod you can do that'll enable text forwarding...

Search for "HOWTO - Enable text and e-mail message forwarding."
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    I'm willing to start working on this, as I'm involved the music industry myself, and this type of app would be very beneficial. However, I'm not going to start working on it if someone else already is... I just don't have the time or energy to create a duplicate app...

Does anyone know if this is in the works already?
    You could name the app:

S
    P
    A
    MS

Wouldn't a real desktop be better for spamming people than a smartphone?
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Currently this isn't possible. The current SDK only allows you to automatically create an SMS message for a SINGLE contact - you can add more if you like but there is no way to pre-populate a message with more than one contact.

Contacts Plus (new version posting to homebrew soon) allows for contact grouping/categorizing/tagging (pick your way of saying it) and will eventually allow for mass SMS as soon as Palm allows it.

This is one of those times where developers are at the mercy of Palm. When they say go, we'll go. Until then, everyone hold tight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quold View Post
    The other idea, that this could be used for spam, is also ridiculous. Why would anyone sending out spam via text every bother with a phone?
    I guess I'd ask you the same thing - wouldn't you want to manage notifications for meetings from a central computer rather than a phone? (I could see value in a hybrid approach where you could update meetings remotely from a phone when plans change.)

If anyone does develop this sort of thing, please consider also developing easy ways to "opt in" and "opt out". (ie: an opt out code or button, or text "STOP" to a number. Not everyone has free SMS. Allowing people to select either SMS, email. or twitter might also be another great option.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by reuben.olsen View Post
    Currently this isn't possible. The current SDK only allows you to automatically create an SMS message for a SINGLE contact - you can add more if you like but there is no way to pre-populate a message with more than one contact.

Contacts Plus (new version posting to homebrew soon) allows for contact grouping/categorizing/tagging (pick your way of saying it) and will eventually allow for mass SMS as soon as Palm allows it.

This is one of those times where developers are at the mercy of Palm. When they say go, we'll go. Until then, everyone hold tight.
    thanks rueben.olsen for the info.

sorry for my lack of patience, but has anything developed in the last month?
    Quote Originally Posted by ronniebrasco View Post

"Mass Text Messaging"

I thank god I've never given my number to people like you.
    There is no reason to mass text with the other technologies out there, especially because most people put alerts to their messages.
    If you want to talk to hundreds of people, email, or use Facebook, something were people can simply hide or block you without feeling like they might miss something.

The only thing that couldn't be done through twitter or publicly on Community sites would be invites, but mass invites are almost as rude as text message breakups.

So, in conclusion, Please let all mobile providers disable being able to send texts to more than 10 people.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast