Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1.    #1  
    I'm trying to root my pre and have come to a stand still...I've been reading on here that it's easy, so now I feel dumb.


    I'm following the instructions on the wiki page...installed the sdk. put my phone in dev mode. got novaterm installed. I enabled a virtual disk on the emulator. trying to move onto the optware setup and this is where I am stuck...I get the rootcastle in novaterm, but it doesn't ask me to enter a username or password to get there....so I'm stuck...I have no idea what to do next or even how to copy the code into the rootcastle...it doesn't paste...

    Any help would be appreciated.
  2. #2  
    No password requred to get in via usb cable.
    Password required to root via ssh (wifi or evdo)

    You need to do some more reading, You paste in putty by simply right clicking.
    You dont make changes to code in root@castle you only navigate the file system w/ commands.

    To edit code you must use vi.

    your on the right track just need to research more or you will be visiting to WebOsDoctor.

    Good luck and have fun.
    Last edited by 2sslow; 08/19/2009 at 07:55 PM.
  3.    #3  
    I don't actually want to change any code or fiddle with the language, I just want to apply all these patches that everyone is coming up with....

    The threads seem to be everywhere and even with all the reading I've done, I still have no idea what putty is...I'll proly just take this thing out of dev mode and forget about it...thanks for the reply.
  4. #4  
    I had that problem too and it was because I wasn't waiting for everything to download once I pasted the code. I just went on to pasting the next code without waiting, so I was never prompted for a username/passcode.

    But then once I knew and I was waiting for stuff to download, it prompted me...then continued to download more stuff before it just stopped completely. apparently you need a good WiFi connection (which I do not have) to get all the things downloaded in the cmd box.



    so someone told me i didnt need the patches for what I was trying to do. I really only wanted to change my dialer, my icon themes, and the wallpaper.

    so i just rooted my pre and then started pasting the code for the dialer.

    and it worked fine.
  5.    #5  
    ok. I went on to just following the steps in Rooting for Dummies and it got me going...but when I tried to apply the patches something didn't work...here is what I got

    root@castle:/opt/src/modifications# quilt series
    quilt series
    /opt/src/patches/add-onscreen-keyboard.patch
    /opt/src/patches/enable-landscape-email.patch
    /opt/src/patches/default-to-month-view.patch
    /opt/src/patches/add-delete-pages-in-the-launcher.patch
    /opt/src/patches/capture_with_volume_keys.patch
    /opt/src/patches/quiet-powerd-messages.patch
    /opt/src/patches/more_icons_per_row.patch
    /opt/src/patches/enable-dev-mode-icon.patch
    /opt/src/patches/show-actual-battery-percent.patch
    /opt/src/patches/messaging-enter-newline.patch
    /opt/src/patches/message-forwarding.patch
    root@castle:/opt/src/modifications# quilt push -a
    quilt push -a
    Applying patch /opt/src/patches/add-onscreen-keyboard.patch
    can't find file to patch at input line 5
    Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
    The text leading up to this was:

    There was more, but it was just about the onscreen keyboard and said try using -f....I tried quilt push -f...but i just got the same stuff....

    any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinamn2224 View Post
    ok. I went on to just following the steps in Rooting for Dummies and it got me going...but when I tried to apply the patches something didn't work...here is what I got

    root@castle:/opt/src/modifications# quilt series
    quilt series
    /opt/src/patches/add-onscreen-keyboard.patch
    /opt/src/patches/enable-landscape-email.patch
    /opt/src/patches/default-to-month-view.patch
    /opt/src/patches/add-delete-pages-in-the-launcher.patch
    /opt/src/patches/capture_with_volume_keys.patch
    /opt/src/patches/quiet-powerd-messages.patch
    /opt/src/patches/more_icons_per_row.patch
    /opt/src/patches/enable-dev-mode-icon.patch
    /opt/src/patches/show-actual-battery-percent.patch
    /opt/src/patches/messaging-enter-newline.patch
    /opt/src/patches/message-forwarding.patch
    root@castle:/opt/src/modifications# quilt push -a
    quilt push -a
    Applying patch /opt/src/patches/add-onscreen-keyboard.patch
    can't find file to patch at input line 5
    Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
    The text leading up to this was:

    There was more, but it was just about the onscreen keyboard and said try using -f....I tried quilt push -f...but i just got the same stuff....

    any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
    You need to be at root@castle/#, nothing else.
    If there is anything at all past root@castle/# your in the wrong directory.

    also did you mount -o remount,rw /
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    You need to be at root@castle/#, nothing else.
    If there is anything at all past root@castle/# your in the wrong directory.

    also did you mount -o remount,rw /
    I never typed in the mount...I nevr saw that command until I was reading a thread on one of the tweaks...

    +ould it be easier to apply patches per directions in each tweak thread then following the webos internals site for apying patches...I'm under the impression I pulled them correctly since when I do quilt series it shows them to me....but just not applying them....I'm gonna try one of the threads individually and see what happens. Thanks.
  8.    #8  
    I just saw I had all kinds of stuff after roo@castle. Gonna give it a go again tonight.
  9. #9  
    When using quilt you absolutely MUST be in the / directory. To do this use the navigation command 'cd' and type cd /. You can tell what folder you are in by looking at the root@castle: and what ever if between that and the # is were you are. If it only has / then you are in the right directory. You must also make the Pre's file system writable by typing rootfs_open -w. After this you are set to install the patches. I see that you have already imported them, now you just have to apply them. Use quilt push -a (like you are already) and it should work.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  10.    #10  
    So if I go back in today since they're already imported...the code should look like this?

    Root@castle#/ cd /
    Rootfs_open -w

    Root@castle#/ cd /
    Quilt push -a

    And this should do it?
  11.    #11  
    thanks 2sslow! I friggin did it! it was the mount and having stuff after root@castle....
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinamn2224 View Post
    thanks 2sslow! I friggin did it! it was the mount and having stuff after root@castle....
    Way to go, see its really easy, I cant seem to stop myself from changing things.

    Please click the thanks button for me!

    Doug

Posting Permissions