Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I've got a feeling that for someone on this thread, my request is a dead-simple patch. I would love to be able to delete text instead of just backspace -- and seeing that backspace key on the keyboard without a orange/function key seems like such a waste. Anyone know how to easily map delete to that key while holding the orange key?
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Anyone have any ideas on this? Having a hard time believing this isn't a super-easy tweak. Was on a client's Blackberry yesterday and they have DEL on the backspace key, so if you're wondering what I'm referring to, check out a Blackberry.

Keyboard remapping gods, come forth and prosper
    I don't know exactly what you are talking about but if you hold shift and press the backspace it will delete whole words at a time. Is that what you are looking for?
    I'll look into it. I've been interested in this for a while because I've wanted to delete all the text in a message with a single command instead of manually selecting all text then hitting backspace.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    I don't know exactly what you are talking about but if you hold shift and press the backspace it will delete whole words at a time. Is that what you are looking for?
    I'm referring to just removing a single character, just like the DEL key on a regular PC keyboard. I specify "PC keyboard" because on some macs, they have "delete" but it's really functioning as a backspace key. A DEL key should remove the single character immediately to the RIGHT of the cursor whereas the backspace key removes a single character to the LEFT of the cursor.

I was not aware that [Shift + Backspace] removes the word to the right of the cursor, so that is helpful, but I still think doing [ORANGE + Backspace] could delete a single character...

-T
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by computrav View Post
    I'm referring to just removing a single character, just like the DEL key on a regular PC keyboard. I specify "PC keyboard" because on some macs, they have "delete" but it's really functioning as a backspace key. A DEL key should remove the single character immediately to the RIGHT of the cursor whereas the backspace key removes a single character to the LEFT of the cursor.

I was not aware that [Shift + Backspace] removes the word to the right of the cursor, so that is helpful, but I still think doing [ORANGE + Backspace] could delete a single character...

-T
    Actually -- to follow up on this post, [Shift + Backspace] removes the word to the LEFT of the cursor, not to the right. Or, it will remove the word that the cursor is currently in.

To be clear, the main request I'm making is still to be able to map [ORANGE + Backspace] to remove one character to the RIGHT of the cursor like a standard keyboard delete key.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    I'm giving this thread a "bump" because I also would like to see this option implemented via a patch. Given that the Pre does not have directional keys, it is not always easy to place the cursor exactly where you want it. Having a delete key, in addition to the backspace key, would be EXTREMELY useful.

Surprised that there are not more people clamouring for this seemingly basic functionality.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    +1
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    Given that the Pre does not have directional keys, it is not always easy to place the cursor exactly where you want it. Having a delete key, in addition to the backspace key, would be EXTREMELY useful.

Surprised that there are not more people clamouring for this seemingly basic functionality.
    This is exactly how I feel. I think it's the kind of thing people don't know they're missing until they have it. I know that I really miss both delete and arrow keys from my AT&T 8525 (HTC device). I DON'T miss Windows Mobile, however webOS blows that out of the water!
    Bump...this would be very useful
  11. ird
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    I have always missed the DEL key on my Pre.
    This would be possible on a per-app basis but not sure about the whole OS (i.e. every app that has a text area for input).

I've already mapped the orange + backspace in my Notekeeper app to delete a whole note, so as you can imagine, the functionality you suggest would be handy for users but a nightmare for all the devs who already have this shortcut mapped in their apps.

Realistically a hardware delete key would be better but I wouldn't hold your breath for it as I don't know of any other devices that have one.
    Quote Originally Posted by semprance View Post
    I've already mapped the orange + backspace in my Notekeeper app to delete a whole note
    Why don't you use metatap+d to delete the whole note? That's what all the other apps do and what I as a user would try first because it feels natural by now - I also use opt-bkspace to delete words and I would miss that option a lot.
    I have swapped over to metakey rather than the orange key now but I was just using it to demonstrate my point. Palm themselves use metakey+X/C/V for shortcuts, so the problem for me would be the same if in the future they tried to use metakey+backspace for delete amongst others.

As I say, in my opinion a hardware delete key would be better anyway to avoid such problems.