Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey everybody, I'm sure everybody of you knows Adblock Plus, a really handy extension for the Firefox Browser.

addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/1865

It blocks out unwanted text ads, flash based ads and graphics that can use up valuable time and traffic.

Since the Pre browser is based on a WebKit engine and not a Gecko engine, it's not possible to port the extension over to the Pre directly.

Some iPhone developers have written an adblocking solution for mobile Safari, which is based on WebKit also.

cocoamug.com/adblock/index.html

I think that on a mobile device, every ad that takes up real estate on the small screen is annoying. It would be great if somebody could come up with an adblocking solution for the Palm Pre.

Youxing
    it would also speed up the internet when im stuck on 1x. not having to load that extra image (or flash object when palm gets that goin) would be a nice boost.
    Global Posts
    491 Global Posts
    EDIT: Ahh, wrong area, sorry!
    This would be a great addon. It's definitely something I would pay for.
    I just downloaded an ad-blocking hosts file and appended it to my /etc/hosts. No more ads!
    Quote Originally Posted by enormous View Post
    I just downloaded an ad-blocking hosts file and appended it to my /etc/hosts. No more ads!
    I can't believe I didn't think of this! Good stuff man thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by enormous View Post
    Care to tell us where you got it?
    To use an ad-blocking hosts file:

Root:
    -Download file from [URL="
    -Copy hosts file to Pre USB storage
    -Open root
    -Type in
    [code]
    mount -o remount, rw /

cp /media/internal/Hosts /etc/hosts
    [/code]

WebOS Quick Install:
    -Run Webos quick install
    -Download hosts file
    -Go to Tools - send file
    -For destination, set it to /etc/hosts
    -Then select the hosts file in the file input box.
    -Click Send to Device

There you go. Should work. They update the file almost every day so you can manually update it every week. If you are more experienced they provide a linux bash script that will update with a cronjob.

If this works, don't forget to thank me.
    Last edited by Abyssul; 08/21/2009 at 10:41 AM.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Great idea, used WebOS Quick Install and this http://jamesisbored.com/iphone/content/hosts.php

Seems to be working pretty well so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post

-Download file from here
    -Open root
    -Type in
    Code:
    mount -o remount, rw /

There you go. Should work. They update the file almost every day so you can manually update it every week. If you are more experienced they provide a linux bash script that will update with a cronjob.

could you repost the link? or check it? it appears to be broken
    Quote Originally Posted by morningisbad View Post
    could you repost the link? or check it? it appears to be broken
    Hmm... thats weird. I was just browsing that website a few hours ago. They must be down temporally. In the meantime, use the link jp22382 provided. It should work.

http://jamesisbored.com/iphone/content/hosts.php

I can post my modified hosts file if anyone wants.

It's a combination of the file from MVPS.org and SaferNetworking's Spybot S&D program hosts file generator.
    Last edited by Sunsparc; 08/19/2009 at 11:46 PM.
  13.    #13  
    That would be great if you could post your host file! Thanks for your responds

//EDIT: BTW: I just thought of that! Using that huge host file from MVSP.org, does that actually slow down the performance of the Pre?
    Last edited by youxing; 08/20/2009 at 08:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by youxing View Post
    That would be great if you could post your host file! Thanks for your responds

//EDIT: BTW: I just thought of that! Using that huge host file from MVSP.org, does that actually slow down the performance of the Pre?

Not that Ive seen. Web browsing is indeed a lot faster without the ads.

I'll edit in the link to my hosts file when I get home. I dont have access to the phone over EVDO, just Wifi.
    Quote Originally Posted by youxing View Post
    I haven't noticed any slow down on my web browsing, and my hosts file is very large.
    The hosts file is only used during DNS lookup, then the address is cached in the browser. It's much faster to look locally on the device for the name than the query a remote DNS server, so it should be faster with all of those names there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post

-Download file from here
    -Open root
    -Type in
    Code:
    mount -o remount, rw /

You know, Linux computers have this nifty little command called "wget" that allows you to download anything directly from the command line.

# cd /etc/
    # mv hosts hosts.backup # always backup what you overwrite
    # wget http://hostsfile.mine.nu/Hosts -O hosts

On a tangential note, most people don't know that you can install any homebrew app directly in two steps from the command line:

# ipkg -o /var install http://www.packagedownloadurl.com/filename.ipk
    # /usr/bin/luna-send palm://com.palm.applicationManager/rescan {}

Instead of having to type the long luna-send line above, you can just create a short script /usr/bin/luna-rescan with the contents:

#!/bin/sh
    /usr/bin/luna-send palm://com.palm.applicationManager/rescan {}

and then type chmod 755 /usr/bin/luna-rescan to make it executable ... then you can just type "luna-rescan" anytime you make a change or install a new app.

Ok, enough tips and tricks for now.
    I had forgotten about the "wget" function, but it should work regardless.

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    @jp22382

I feel lost...I just started using WebOS Quick Install, how do I use it to add the hosts.php? Really appreciate the help. Thanks in advance!
  20.    #20  
    First of all, you need to rename hosts.php to hosts (without extension). Then, you need to upload it to your phone into the folder "etc"

The path should be /etc/
    If that doesn't work, try uploading as /etc/hosts

Unfortunately, I don't have the Pre to test it yet.
    I used PuTTY to get access to Linux, but it was just the emulator. It worked great there!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast