Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Why did I even bother posting my "how to"?

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    I was about to request this. Glad I looked real fast first. I guess this would more be a tweak request than an app. But I think this will be great thanks Abyssul
    Quote Originally Posted by Smubeht View Post
    I was about to request this. Glad I looked real fast first. I guess this would more be a tweak request than an app. But I think this will be great thanks Abyssul
    No problem man.

Abyssul thank you for the tip for luna-rescan! It's so much easier to install through ssh than use PreWare or WebOS Quick install and that luna rescan line is hard to memorize, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by K4p741nkrunch View Post
    Abyssul thank you for the tip for luna-rescan! It's so much easier to install through ssh than use PreWare or WebOS Quick install and that luna rescan line is hard to memorize, thanks!
    I just have it as a notepad file on my desktop. Then when I decide to start hacking away, I'll just open it up so I can copy and paste it anytime.

Don't forget the "Thanks" button. It's the least you could do,

Any reason not to use dnsmasq to block ads versus a hosts file?
    Wow, how did I miss this thread!? So you guys confirm this trick works, right? If so, mind if I add this to a future version of WebOS Quick Install?
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    This is legit awesome. Now we just need a HOSTS file that contains everything inside of Adblock Plus' EasyList.
    I wonder if putting the address of the Palm context uploads in the file would prevent the phoning home the Pre does...
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    I wonder if putting the address of the Palm context uploads in the file would prevent the phoning home the Pre does...
    It would prevent it from being able to phone home. This is the same method that one would use to prevent certain Adobe products from phoning home to activate, as well.
    I can confirm that both the HOSTS file and dnsmasq technique work. Adding it to the WebOS Quick Install would certainly make it easier to use/update.

To clarify about using dnsmasq, it is my understanding that it would require only blocking the root domain and not each sub-domain. For example, adding doubleclick.net would block any request to 1.doubleclick.net or 2.doubleclick.net etc whereas the HOSTS file would have to list each individually.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Bump FTW!
    umm, if the bump want about adding it to WOSQI, just thought I should mention it's there in v2.9
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    umm, if the bump want about adding it to WOSQI, just thought I should mention it's there in v2.9
    how exactly do we get to it?

edit: ok maybe i should have looked in the TWEAKS first...
    I was actually bumping the concept of adblocking in /etc/hosts in such a manner. Very elegant trick.
    Wow! This is awesome! Although I'd prefer a webOS-App to do the updating
    One problem with downloading random hosts files from the interwebs and plugging them directly into /etc/hosts without looking at them is that a malicious user could sneak entries in there for banks, shopping sites, paypal, etc. to phish passwords.

To prevent this from happening, you'll at least want to make sure whatever cron job you set up to periodically pull this file verifies that 127.0.0.1 is the only IP address listed in the downloaded file for & warns you if any other IP addresses are detected in it.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Does anyone know how you could configure it to block everything except entries in your whitelist? As far as I can tell, using /etc/hosts to do this only works if you can keep the device from finding entries on its own, forcing it to pass everything through the hosts file.

How does the dnsmasq technique work? Would it support this type of blocking?

Lastly, do these types of filters affect the web browser application, or all internet requests?

Thanks for your help!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12