1.    #1  
    For those of us who just don't seem to be able to figure out simple commands like "uncomment line XXX" or "edit this file", and are a little leery of bricking our precious Pres (or like me, are just afraid they'll make a damned typo):

Any possibility that one of you excellent Linux'ers could construct a basic WebOS app that will apply a patch? Possibly even that will compile them, much like the "homebrew apps" button in filecoaster, where they could be loaded and unloaded from that app? Kinda like Hackmaster?

Just a thought.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    check out webos quick install 2.0. it can apply many useful patches.
  3.    #4  

Sounds great, but I can't for the life of me figure out where the download link is to get preware installed.

sorry. For a Linux newbie, this stuff isn't as obvious as you make it sound. I'm trying to get it.
    lol, the pre is my first time every doing anything linux related.. you'll get it eventually.
  5.    #6  
    I don't think so. I read your link, I went the the Preware page, and I can't find a place to download it.

Confused.
  6.    #7  
    Ok, you win.

I figured it out.

7.    #8  
    ...but Preware won't run. It just says "updating" eternally.
    you have to install the ipkg service...
  9.    #10  
    I give up. I've searched the Precentral forums for "install ipkg service" and am not coming up with anything. Obviously this isn't for me. I'll wait for an app. Thanks for trying.
    In the WebOS Quick Install, there is a "Package Manager Service" that you have to install also. I had issues with the "Updating..." sticking at work today, so when i got home i remove both Preware & Package Manager Servce, restarted the phone, & re-installed the two & now it's working great =].
  11.    #12  
    thank you thank you thank you

Got it working. amazing application. I love the "updates" feature.