1.    #1  
    A simple compass for the pre would be awesome!
    The only possible compass would require the GPS and be in motion for it to work.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    The only possible compass would require the GPS and be in motion for it to work.
    there is no internal magnet to sense north. without motion the gps wouldn't know what direction you're traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by aric View Post
    there is no internal magnet to sense north. without motion the gps wouldn't know what direction you're traveling.
    I think sacherjj meant that for a compass program to work, it would require use of the gps AND you would have to be in motion (moving, so the program could determine what direction you are traveling and from that give you what direction you are headed).
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerkang View Post
    I think sacherjj meant that for a compass program to work, it would require use of the gps AND you would have to be in motion (moving, so the program could determine what direction you are traveling and from that give you what direction you are headed).
    Yes, I guess I worded that awkwardly.

The only way to get data to generate a compass display is use the GPS and be in nearly straight motion on a fixed heading.

It told me.
    Nonsense! Just code in a magnetic compass!

I'm sure it wouldn't be hard...

And I will donate to the first developer to release one!

[/sarcasm]
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post

[/sarcasm]
    You just need to read the current generated into the Touchstone coils as you swing the Pre through the earth's magnetic field. Swing in the direction you want to know and the Pre will tell you that direction within +- 180 degrees.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    491 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post

[/sarcasm]
    Haha xD Me too! I'd donate $100 to that developer!
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerkang View Post
    i know. i was agreeing and trying to explain why there could not be a standalone compass program to the OP (no internal magnetic compass!) and why, in order for the gps to sense direction (moving from point a to point be is heading xxx) you must be in motion. i guess i should have quoted the OP instead of the replier; i was just trying to elaborate on his answer (obviously doing a poor job!).
    Last edited by aric; 08/18/2009 at 08:32 PM. Reason: typo