1.    #1  
    I installed Bit**X (irc sw with a name that doesn't pass muster with the forum rules!) and after I dropped a .ircservers file in my root directory it actually is working relatively well, but I am having trouble figuring out how to communicate the screen dimensions of the terminal to it. Is this something I would configure through a termcap? Or through *****X? The splash screen is all screwy, and text is cut off on the right side of the screen.
    I was thinking about trying the same thing with irssi. I think the terminal app itself needs some updating.
  3.    #3  
    I was able to get it to work pretty well - I set the COLUMNS environment variable to 40 (COLUMNS=40;export COLUMNS) and started Bit**X in dumb terminal mode with the -d option. The problem now is that the top and bottom lines in the terminal are hidden by the bezel... The "correct" way to deal with this would be with the terminal settings, but the app may also take some config to not use the whole screen somehow. Or possibly using GNU screen I can do it too... Any ideas?
    I think the easiest way to go about it would be to edit the function that draws the app fullscreen. I don't know how exactly but that would solve alot of problems.
  5.    #5  
    Hmmm... Surely it is asking the environment for the dimensions of the screen... Really, what would be great is a terminal app that works within the regular graphical interface and takes the bezel-covered area into account.