Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    I would love to have an automatic full backup solution.... if you have to replace the phone or just wipe it and install clean with WebOSDoctor, you can use the PALM online backup, but that does not include any installed apps, personal settings, files, mods, etc. etc..
    I have to agree. With the being so customizable, restoring just contacts and maybe email settings just isn't enough. I'm afraid, though, that we'd have to use an imaging solution like Ghost for Linux (think that was the name) to get a truly "full" backup. Someone please step up and correct me if I'm wrong and/or write up a tutorial! :-)
    Ditto x100. {ProfJonathan}
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I would love one, instead of having to spend a hour or so redoing all my mods and installing all the apps.
    Not having a Full Backup Solution is one of the reasons keeping me from rooting my phone to apply mods. I would really like to see one in place before I start doing this.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Any competent Linux/Unix administrator knows how to make backup images of raw disk partitions using the "dd" command. I'm not going to post instructions, mostly because I'm not sure if any of the phone's ESN or activation info is stored on flash disk under Linux. I certainly wouldn't want to give Palm a reason to lock us all out of the Linux OS if one can clone the cellular phone stuff with a simple dd command.....
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    This is sort of a bump on this subject: is there such a thing as full backup for the Pre? TIA

--
    Jan Rifkinson
    Ridgefield CT USA
    Having to root your Pre to do a backup is hardly user-friendly. Unless your suggesting the market for the Pre is just Linux admins.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    You can try using rsync if your Pre is rooted. Personally i haven't been able to get it working (although i would love to). I believe it's similar to the dd command, but it keeps a list of the changed files. When you perform it the first time, it will backup everything (unless there is a directory you want to exclude) & then for every backup after that, it will only download the changed files, deleting those that are no longer on the device. I was able to get rsync working on my iPod Touch, but no luck so far with the Pre. If anyone gets this working let me know, i'd love to have it.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Having to root your Pre to do a backup is hardly user-friendly.
    To some people, the Linux shell prompt is more user-friendly than the Pre's calendar app.....
    Quote Originally Posted by dchamero View Post
    I would love to have an automatic full backup solution.... if you have to replace the phone or just wipe it and install clean with WebOSDoctor, you can use the PALM online backup, but that does not include any installed apps, personal settings, files, mods, etc. etc..
    I would donate $$ for this app!
    I would pay for this app the day it was released. PLEASE someone do it!!
    Could someone write a program that would make using rysync easier for the Pre?