Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I would like to request a WebOS application to more easily access the Drugs.mobi - Mobile Prescription Drug Information from Drugs.com on the Pre:

Drugs.com Mobile Edition for Smart Phones

This is a free drug reference/pharmacopeia site that offers a mobile site for smartphone access as stated above. However, the site scales very poorly on the Pre's web browser. It is very inefficient to use and you constantly have to pinch and zoom to use properly. It would be awesome if an enterprising developer could enhance this poor web experience by creating a application to more efficiently access the drugs.mobi stie? There are already numerous apps out there for site like woot, opentable and so on. It would seem to me that an app for a medical drug reference site like this would be a no brainer because of the lack of current available native drug references for the webos platform. In fact if a developer was ambitious enough, he/she could also integrate wikipedia etc as well for drug reference guide as a source. In short, I would like to see an application with the following features:

• Native WebOS application obviously
    • Great finger friendly interface
    • simple search and indexing
    • support of various online drug reference sites like drugs.com or wikipedia
    • on device cache for quick lookup
    • abilty to save searches
    • abilty to take notes on saved searches and drugs
    • option for searching on multiple online resources

Will any developer out there take up this cause? There is such a HUUUGE need for an app like this and I'm personally really sick of using my old skyscape apps via classic for drug reference! Webos seems to me like a perfect platform for an app like this and the drug references are already available online to do this....

Any takers?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Isn't Epocrates developing a Pre version? I'm waiting for that.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I agree! This would be wonderful as an app.
    Yeah, I'd love to have something like this, would be great on the Pre
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by doublebullout View Post
    Isn't Epocrates developing a Pre version? I'm waiting for that.
    Yes there are many companies that may have plans for developing applications for WebOS. That doesn't mean one should not have choices. The point of this thread is to request a stand alone application that can query and access sites that are already FREE using the Pre's wireless connection. In addition, such an application which could query multiple sources would make it quite powerful in my opinion!

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Doesn't m.epocrates.com work for you?
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Doesn't m.epocrates.com work for you?
    Thanks palmdoc, I am aware of that portal as well. The point is to have a standalone app instead of a web based interface to access these sites. For the same reason there is demand for a facebook app, and for the same reason there exist options for woot apps, opentable apps, weather apps etc...why not have something like this for a drug reference application? Using a mobile web interface can be clumsy and slow. Having a dedicated application with the features listed above including ability to search multiple online resources, cache queries, makes notes etc in my opinion would be very powerful.

Also Palmdoc, I am an avid user and fan of your wonderful Premedi application! Have you ever considered making an app such as this? You basically would be designing a front end app to access and query these various drug ref sites. I really think something like would have great potential...

I think with the Webview Widget, it can be done - just set the URL as drugs.mobi and the page size parameters and one should not have to zoom in.
    The MojoSDK comes with a UIWidgets sample and I just changed the URL to drugs.mobi and voila! It works!

But that's about as far as it goes in view of my primitive knowledge of WebOS.
    So basically I copied the Webview Widget sample and came up with this simple standalone app.
    I attach the .ipk and the source files into one zip file.
    I hope experienced WebOS coders can help enhance this crude attempt!

Cheers
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Does anyone know of a site we can go to for the time being that would simply identify a drug? With what I do for a living, I'm constantly needing to identify pills and such in the field.
    I think drugs.mobi has a pill identifier option
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I think drugs.mobi has a pill identifier option
    Thanks, That will work for me, for now that is!
  12.    #12  
    I think with the Webview Widget, it can be done - just set the URL as drugs.mobi and the page size parameters and one should not have to zoom in.
    The MojoSDK comes with a UIWidgets sample and I just changed the URL to drugs.mobi and voila! It works!

But that's about as far as it goes in view of my primitive knowledge of WebOS.
    So basically I copied the Webview Widget sample and came up with this simple standalone app.
    I attach the .ipk and the source files into one zip file.
    I hope experienced WebOS coders can help enhance this crude attempt!

Cheers
    Thanks PalmDoc. At least you won't have to zoom in!

Any one else want to tackle this project?

Hi palmdoc,
    can you explain me step by step how to adjust page size parameters so I don't have to zoom multiple time. Thanks in advance.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Yeah, a better interface for the drugs.mobi site would be awesome. It kinda sucks having to pinch to zoom on their mobile site, but it beats not having anything. I've been using their full site, so finding out they have a mobile site is actually pretty helpful by itself. Their Pill ID wizard is great in the field.
    Thanks. This makes it much easier to read. However, when I tried it, I don't have a back button in the lower left hand corner, just a refresh button that doesn't actually refresh. A back gesture just minimizes the card. And i'm getting the bottom of the page truncated. I'm not familiar with the Webview Widget; is this a normal limitation?
    Sorry, that was just a crude attempt to display the webpage in a screen.
    What are the online drug references available today?

drugs.mobi
    epocrates.com
    etc

One just needs to figure out where the search parameters go and construct a simple scene with a Text field to input the drug name.
    The search button then should take one to another scene which displays the resulting webpage called by the search (I suppose one can have a drop down box to select whether one wants epocrates or drugs.mobi)

After a little research, the calls/links for the above two are:

Code:
    http://drugs.mobi/m/search.php?q=drugname
    http://online.epocrates.com/public/portkey/?mode=drugdisease&src=ms&cid=MedSearch&monograph=drugname
    OK, anyone want to develop this further?
    Hey guys,

While looking at the drugs.mobi site, it seems REALLY easy to pull that information out and make it a nice little app. However, when searched for "tylenol" all it shows is a suggested dosage. Is that all the information you guys would need? The Epocrates site looks pretty good and COULD be pulled into an app, but, I'm not sure how the Disclaimer popup would be handled...

I can't personally devote myself to this just yet... but maybe after i'm done helping mamouton I could consider doing this...
  18.    #18  
    Has anyone tried the user agent patch on their Pre and tried accessing these sites?

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...perfectly.html

I've been doing the trick where you first go to m.forums.precentral.net and then rotate to landscape and back, AND THEN go to drugs.mobi site. After that the site scales properly. However I do hope a developer takes on the challenge of this app!! It would be soo nice to have an app that acutally uses the resources found free soo many places on the web for a drug/pharmacopeia app instead having to rely on various subscriptions apps.

19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Hey guys,

While looking at the drugs.mobi site, it seems REALLY easy to pull that information out and make it a nice little app. However, when searched for "tylenol" all it shows is a suggested dosage. Is that all the information you guys would need? The Epocrates site looks pretty good and COULD be pulled into an app, but, I'm not sure how the Disclaimer popup would be handled...

I can't personally devote myself to this just yet... but maybe after i'm done helping mamouton I could consider doing this...
    Hey SirataXero! Make sure you select the "for health professionals" option on the main search page when you do a search. At minimum, I think it would be necessary to have the following categories drug search results:

-Dosing Info
    -Side Effects
    -Lactation
    -Pregnancy
    -Pharmacology
    -Pharmacokinetics

Drugs.mobi has these categories at least for their search results. It would be great if you had the time to look into this!! THANKS!

OK guys, here's version 0.0.2 which allows one to choose epocrates or drugs.mobi as the formulary.
    Just enter the drug name, hit search and it will take you to the correct formulary with the search result within the app itself rather than in a separate browser (and hopefully with a better zoomed view)
    The first time you encounter epocrates there's a disclaimer which you can click away and doesn't seem recur.

Screenshot:

Attached zip with source code and the ipk included within it.

I am not sure why the epocrates site does not "zoom" in as much as the drugs.mobi

If one doesn't enter a drug name, then it defaults to the drugs.mobi search site.
    One can "Go Back" to the applications Search box with the Back gesture

Anyone want to enhance this further, please feel free.

Cheers
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by palmdoc2005; 09/14/2009 at 04:10 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast