Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I would like to develop a SHOUTcast app for the Pre. I have been playing around with the SDK for a week or two now, and I am starting to get acquainted with it. However, I do not have much experience with JavaScript programming. I do however have more experience with css and other web design techniques.

So would any more experienced developers here be willing to join in on a group effort to create this useful app?

From some of the research I've done, it doesn't seem to be too difficult. According to WINAMP.COM | Forums - SHOUTcast station directory, it looks like all of the station information can be requested in an XML format.

So what I'm thinking, is this SHOUTcast app could simply use Mojo Lists. The list can then be populated by calling http://yp.shoutcast.com/sbin/newxml.phtml with the necessary tags (search text, genre, etc.).
    Then, once the user has found the station they want, it's as simple as linking to http://yp.shoutcast.com/sbin/tunein-station.pls?id=???? with ???? being the station id. This opens up the browser and should start streaming station.
    This is something that has been suggested to be added to the Net2Streams app. This is something I had basically done at TreoBits mobile, but the XML method didn't exist when I first made the mobile site. So, I had to resort to parsing the shoutcast.com website.

The developer of Net2Streams contacted me for help, but it would take time for me to become proficient in current web development tech. Maybe you're in a better position to help.

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ctory-app.html
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Guess what! I got it to work!!

The trickiest part was getting the XML file to not only parse, but then put that information into a list. But I was then able to link to the station. So clicking on the station in the list opens the streaming music app.

So far I just have the main screen display the top stations, I'll probably added it to the homebrew list in the forums as like an alpha release. I would like to add the genres and searching next.

Here's a screenshot to give everyone a taste. The look is by no means final.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    That was quick. Nice job! It would be nice if you could bookmark your favorite stations.
    oooohhh, let us know when ya want some beta testing done!
    Why can't the mobile device manufactures get that most want a touch screen and a front face QWERTY?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex_mathews View Post
    That was quick. Nice job! It would be nice if you could bookmark your favorite stations.
    yeah I was thinking I would add that feature once I get genres and search working.
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    yeah I was thinking I would add that feature once I get genres and search working.

Great job!
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    GOD, homebrew rocks.
    That settles it. After two months of being too scared to install a single homebrew, I am going to just to get this app.

Wish me luck.
    check out jquery to help you parse the genre and other info out of the xml and it would probably help with search too. if you need help, pm me and i can look into it a bit with ya.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts