1.    #1  
    I'm sure some are going to be like "gahh...again with the preload crap"...but this is more than that, this is why we have to stay together as a community, to advance development in the Pre homebrew world.

We are a coalition, this is far from a competition.

Quote Originally Posted by efaucett View Post
    PreLoad is not a very good app.. Yet... I wouldn't come on here and brag about your own app. You could very well copy and upload these apps to your directory if you wanted to. PreLoad has the potential to be great, but PreCentral is obviously the authority and central community for Palm Pre Homebrew. If you want PreLoad to gain significance, it would be wise for you to elect to align yourself with PreCentral Operators and see if they are interested in joining ventures, but right now it just doesn't make sense to have multiple Homebrew sources. Filecoaster and PreCentral are just dominating this Homebrew community with class, elegance and professionalism. The world just isn't ready for a PreLoad

Great job to all developers, especially Webosdeveloper with Active Home Screen; that is a really nice app! Keep Brewing all ye Homebrew Underground!
    Why? Why say such things? Neither PreCentral or PreLoad are in a competition. Both are an advancement to the Homebrew Community. Why are you putting one down? We need multiple devs working on this kind of app, to help make one another better. Both have their own positives, and will introduce new things. Hopefully they will work off each other to make their individual apps better. By putting one of the apps development down, you are putting down the Homebrew Community, and it's ongoing development.

And next time, please think before you accuse someone of "bragging about their own app"....just because one vouches for an app, doesn't mean they developed it, as you should very well know that makes no sense.

This is not a , so please don't make it one.

2.    #2  
    Sorry you had to bear that cheesy slogan
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    thought this was some kind of cult thread .............
    While both Preload and Filecoaster serve similar purposes, it is hard for a lot of the newer people to find Preload (because you have to dig through the forums to see it). Not to mention Filecoaster is very simple to use. Not to mention it is included in any "how to" instructions that may be given on this site.

Although i think Preload is nice because it allows for more functionality then Filecoaster, I don't need to find Wallpapers or Ringtones. I love that it has a spot for repositories however, on mine, it doesn't sort to show the newest first, so it is hard to sort through all the Homebrew Apps to find the newest ones.

What i think more people need to hear about is PreUpdate.

For those that haven't used it, PreUpdate shows whether your Homebrew Apps are up to date, and then allows you to download the newest version.

It offers something very unique and very easy. Except i haven't seen it anywhere except on Preload's repository. I think if PimpMyPre uploaded it to the PreCentral Repository it would garner some more clout, unfortunately it isn't there and therefore many people haven't found it yet. And the fact that people have to install PreLoad to install it, is keeping a lot of people from using a very unique and useful App.

I think everyone has done a great job or making these applications. Whether its three guys or just one.
    Can't we all just get along

Ebony and Ivory live together in perfect harmony, side by side on my piano....

Well you get the picture!
    I likey take apart thingies....
    I usually don't post. Still, reading this thread forced me to say something. If necessity is the mother of invention, then Competition is the Daddy of capitalism. A strong competing market drives innovation. That being said, all the developers and users communicating drive the market in an ever forward path toward refinement of products. Sure they will be duplication and in some cases outright theft. Still as we refine out output we further our goal to communicate on a more productive curve. Developers all start out on the same baseline. Those who seek information from end users regarding their needs will continue to produce a product on the cutting edge and thereby will continue to produce a product that is desirable to the end user in numbers while the hackers just offer bootlegged packages for the few that do not know of the developer them self. I had bought my new Pre on a Monday. By Wednesday I already Dl.ed 35 Apps and was using my unit to tether via Wifi. Sure I paid for one out of 35 products. Most of the apps were a throw away. But it helped in my education as a end user.
    Lets face it, Palm knocked off the concept of the Iphone and ran straight for the end zone. The developers in the aftermarket are on the field and are the play runners. You guys are doing a great service via open source, (a production basis strategy started by redhat) as presented by Palm. Palm's unit while refined in style and oS lacked what you all are offering! So in the mindset of early developers from the days of the 1000 square foot computer room housing the power of a 386 running on tape, Churn em and burn em!
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    I agree. What we need is a healthy competitive environment.
    Preware dominates
    The Worlds most used app......... Toilet paper!!!!
    I have Filecoster (the breakthrough), Preware and Perload. All work better then Updates. Yet, I find myself still using the computer to link also. It's all a start and a great start at that. With ideas abound may you all mentioned continue on refinements.
    Oh and may I say that your game is not over until you get in the App Catalog. Hmm... wounder if it will happen being a link for homebrew and all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    I have Filecoster (the breakthrough), Preware and Perload. All work better then Updates. Yet, I find myself still using the computer to link also. It's all a start and a great start at that. With ideas abound may you all mentioned continue on refinements.
    Oh and may I say that your game is not over until you get in the App Catalog. Hmm... wounder if it will happen being a link for homebrew and all.
    It's not his app, it's mine, and I have no intentions of taking it to the app catalog. I have other apps I will be doing that with.

Enjoy everyone elses creations.
    Thanks for being a part of the community and we hope you continue to enjoy the apps.
    WOG Dev - WebOS Group http://www.WebOSGroup.com
    PMP Dev - http://www.PimpMyPre.com
    Apps: WOG O.S.K., WOG Card Keeper, WOG Glowstick, WOG Kid Protect, PreLoad, PimpMySounds
    I understood it was not his and YOU have done a GREAT job. I was speaking to the 3 different coders. I also understand it is not an app that Palm might even consider, if you offered, to have in the catalog. I bow to the'.
    Competition is the route to new gains. I have notice that since Preload has come forth and to the FRONT of the pack, the other similar programs have improved greatly. You and/or your group have done a fantastic job. And I/we are looking forward to new upgrades.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    As a homebrew contributer, I feel that having multiple repository's isn't about competition or writing a better "homebrew app catalog", it's more or less ( and this is purely my opinion ) only a means of convoluting the means for people (especially those that aren't tech-savvy) to download apps. I think we're limiting ourselves by having multiple repositories for such a niche-specific app-catalog.

What I think we need is an open source development of one app-loading software. Multiple developer's working TOGETHER to make one unique, feature-rich application that can serve it's purpose without developer's having to submit their apps to 2 or more repositories. Why not set up an open source SVN in code.google.com and really make an app that's sweet!

Edit: By no means am I discrediting Finally Pre on his last statement... that is ABSOLUTELY correct. PreLoad definitely pushed FileCoaster to become a better piece of software. I just wish we could come up with a better means so that the end-users and developers aren't effected by multiple repositories
    Quote Originally Posted by mfive View Post
    As a homebrew contributer, I feel that having multiple repository's isn't about competition or writing a better "homebrew app catalog", it's more or less ( and this is purely my opinion ) only a means of convoluting the means for people (especially those that aren't tech-savvy) to download apps. I think we're limiting ourselves by having multiple repositories for such a niche-specific app-catalog.

What I think we need is an open source development of one app-loading software. Multiple developer's working TOGETHER to make one unique, feature-rich application that can serve it's purpose without developer's having to submit their apps to 2 or more repositories. Why not set up an open source SVN in code.google.com and really make an app that's sweet!

Edit: By no means am I discrediting Finally Pre on his last statement... that is ABSOLUTELY correct. PreLoad definitely pushed FileCoaster to become a better piece of software. I just wish we could come up with a better means so that the end-users and developers aren't effected by multiple repositories
    Developers only currently submit their apps to one place and, as long as the app on your phone supports feeds (PreLoad or Preware) you can access any app no matter the repository. We did all work together for a standard, we're just producing different apps. Just like the calculator guys and the clock guys and the .....

This isn't a bad thing.
    I think the point of the OP is that PreLoad was being, um, hidden, for lack of a better word. Now it's widely accepted and I'd say this forum could be closed.
    WOG Dev - WebOS Group http://www.WebOSGroup.com
    PMP Dev - http://www.PimpMyPre.com
    Apps: WOG O.S.K., WOG Card Keeper, WOG Glowstick, WOG Kid Protect, PreLoad, PimpMySounds
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Pimpmypre, thanks for setting the record straight on that! I was under the impression that they were all segregated.

That definitely changes my opinion on things...