1.    #1  
    Hello,

(not sure if someone reads the article comments so I'm also asking this here):

I really like to program a game using the Canvas element but unfortunately I have no access to a REAL Pre yet and therefor can't check the real speed of it. The emulator may run faster because of the CPU power of the host system. Or maybe it runs slower because of missing hardware acceleration. Who knows.

Can someone please install the attached benchmark app on the phone and post the frames per second number it displays? This would help me a lot to get a feeling for the video speed of the canvas element on the pre. The emulator gives me 65 frames/s on my laptop.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    I was getting 57-58. When I scrolled the screen it went down to as low as 35. Every so often it would jump down a lot. I noticed this with my BreakOut app and have narrowed it down to garbage collection.

Question: was the fps a running average or was it just an average of the last X seconds?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by kmax12 View Post
    When I scrolled the screen it went down to as low as 35.
    Ok, scrolling was not intended. I hope it can be disabled somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by kmax12 View Post
    Question: was the fps a running average or was it just an average of the last X seconds?
    It's simply a counter. The counter is incremented on each frame render. Each second the value is read (and printed) and reseted to 0. No fancy maths here.

Thanks for installinig the app. I think 55 FPS is a good value and is enough for some small games. For everything else I hope Palm releases an SDK for native Pre applications or at least for Java applications some day...