Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For those who would love for Olive Tree to make a WebOS app of their Bible software (NOT using the Palm OS app in "Classic"), please send them an e-mail and say you want it. They are still trying to decide about it and say that feedback is key. So, if enough ppl ask for it, hopefully they will make it!

iPhone Bibles and Mobile Bible Study Tools for PDA and Smartphone - Olive Tree Bible Software
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Click HERE for to go directly to a page that has a "support" form to fill out and make the request.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    I emailed them that request within a few days of getting my Pre back in June. I certainly hope they will make a killer app for the Pre. Using the Classic version is too hard - the buttons are way, way too small. And the Pre interface/GUI is so much nicer.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I have sent them a couple of E-mail messages from different accounts and all they can say is "we're thinking about it." It bothers me that they won't commit making a program for it. Palm OS is pretty much dead and Classic—even though I bought it, is not a good enough substitute.

I hope they do it.
  5.    #5  
    I hope so, too! The KJV app that is currently in the App Catalog is just not enough. I don't want the KJV; I want the NASB. I also want Strong's and commentaries.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    I agree - Olive Tree's lack of commitment when customers are asking for a product is disconcerting. At least they finally introduced a version for the iPhone OS after years of people asking. Companies leave a lot of money out there with decisions like this.

At least the group making Simple Bible will make a more advanced version soon, starting the first of the year (thread here), called Simple Bible Pro. May not be everything the Bible Reader from OT is, but it's better than nothing - which is probably what we'll have from OT by this time next year.
    Last edited by jp99; 10/16/2009 at 10:59 AM. Reason: iPhone update
    It costs a lot of money for a company to develop an app. They are not going to commit unless they think there is a ROI. We are lucky that we have what we do already.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jp99 View Post
    At least the group making Simple Bible will make a more advanced version soon, starting the first of the year (thread here), called Simple Bible Pro. May not be everything the Bible Reader from OT is, but it's better than nothing - which is probably what we'll have from OT by this time next year.
    Cool, I'll check out that thread! I hope they will have the option of ppl buying different translations as well as related books. (KJV is public domain, which is why it is free, but most other translations are not.)
    I sent them two emails. Here is their recent respond...

10/9
    "Thank you for your inquiry!
    Our developers have not made a decision whether they will produce a native BibleReader for the Pre. At this time, even if they decide to develop it, we would not be able to even start it until sometime later next year. Our development team is already involved in developing software for other platforms that have been waiting a very long time to have a BibleReader.
    Thank you for your patience,
    Phillip Scott
    Olive Tree Tech Support
    www.Olivetree.com"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bag of Leaves View Post
    Cool, I'll check out that thread! I hope they will have the option of ppl buying different translations as well as related books. (KJV is public domain, which is why it is free, but most other translations are not.)
    User HaPe has also developed a converter that will produce a SimpleBible formatted version from a Zefania format. And you can get to Zefania format from lots of stuff. I converted an ESV Sword module to Zefania, and then to SimpleBible (the current homebrew version), and except for a few very minor formatting issues, it works just fine. See here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ple-bible.html.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    FYI, Laridian posted on their blog that they will partner with Bits of God Software to allow their upcoming Simple Bible Pro to use their bible data and reference books seamlessly.
    While Olive Tree would be nice on the Pre, I have the feeling that homebrew will outrun what Olive Tree can do in a timely manner. The neat thing about homebrew is that you can better influence the final product. (Usually that involves some trial and error on the part of the users, but it can be a learning experience and fun!)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  13.    #13  
    Sounds like we'll be sticking with other brands than Olive Tree, then!

That's great to hear that Laridian is teaming up with the "Simple Bible" folks! I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of that.

On Palm OS I had the old "Bible Thumper" program that was very useful. It had different translations, Strong's, different commentaries, different dictionaries, etc. It hasn't been updated in many years and I haven't used it in many years (never did put it on my Centro 'cause I didn't want to go back to an old, unused, partially-broken computer to try to find it on that drive), but it was a good app, especially for what was out then (I believe I first had it before Palms had color screens!). If one of you developers wants to check it out, last I tried, it could still be found via a Google search on the developer's Web site.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Well, it looks like I will move from Olive Tree to Laridian next year. Time to start looking over their website and picking out what parts of the library to purchase
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Awesome news from Laridian. I'm a long-time customer (Palm OS) and was very disappointed by their previous statements on webOS. I look forward to their collaboration with Simple Bible. This is a wonderful development.
    Quote from them on query regarding this subject about a week ago:

"We do eventually plan to move our BibleReader 4.x onto the Palm Pre platform, however we don't have a date when this might happen. All of our current development resources are concentrated on creating functionality in the new 4.x reader, and we hope in the coming months to increase our development capacity in order to meet the challenge of making it available on other platforms.

I wish I could be more specific, but we are constrained currently by our capacity. Please keep watching!"

Note: If you look at the version 4.x BibleReader demo on their web site, it looks awesome!!!

I cannot wait!
  17.    #17  
    Thanks for the update on that, Arman!
    The response I got on Jan 12, 2010 when I asked OT about putting out an Android and Symbian reader and still no WebOS version:
    I'm sorry to say that currently, we are not developing specifically for the Palm Pre. When the Palm Pre came out last year, we held off on developing a BibleReader strictly for its webOS, since our Palm OS BibleReader could be used on it with the Motions' Classic app.
    Our plans may change however with the announcements that AT&T and Verizon will be carrying new Palm webOS devices, but I do not have a time estimate as to when that might occur.
    ----------------
    Hopefully the response I see earlier in this thread is more accurate.
    I'm looking for a Bible reader that includes the NAB or other Catholic versions. OT has been the best/only one out there for the Palm and I really liked it on my Centro.
    Very dissapointed in the response I got, but am encouraged by the earier post.
    Andy D.
    Dear Olive Tree,

I would happily use an Olive Tree product on WebOS. I own the PalmOS version of Olive Tree but I don't want to bother with Classic (as I feel that's more trouble than it's worth). I have not even purchased Classic for my Pre because it has had problems with most of the recent WebOS updates and I don't want a platform that breaks for a week or two every month or two. You really should get on WebOS (which currently has two devices on both CDMA carriers in the US, on multiple International GSM carriers, and soon expected to also be on the major GSM carrier in the United States. Palm is releasing a PDK (plugin development kit) which will make porting your existing app much easier. If you can get the PDK and be "first to market" on the Pre, you will pretty much dominate the market on this soon to be ubiquitous device. The two WebOS devices are very similar with the less expensive Palm Pixi having a slightly smaller screen and a less powerful CPU. The Palm Pre has hardware as powerful as the iPhone and more capable than most other smartphones/PDAs on the market. WebOS also has the advantage of having single versions of the OS that work across all carriers on all phones, so you won't have to do special builds for specific phones (both now and in the future).

I'm also a software tester and I'd be happy to help with testing and or porting Olive Tree to WebOS. (PM me for more details.)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Olive Tree Survey --- actually has WebOS listed... COME ONE COME ALL to fill it in and hopefully we can get them to develop something for us!

Go to the olivetree site and fill in the survey!

And you get 25% discount by filling in the survey!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast