Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I don't know if anyone is interested, but I've created a WebOS development tutorial that goes beyond the basic 'Hello World' application. I'm trying to fill the gap between the basic tutorial and the reference and O'Reilly book. (Without copying either.)

It can be found here: WebOS Programming - Beyond 'Hello World'

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated!
    Nice! I'm thinking of doing something like this as well. Hello World is too simple but the 'News' app is too complicated for most people. Something inbetween is great!
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Taking a look at it now. Thanks RickNeff.
    Very nice! I'll definately be taking a look at this. +1 to the above poster, who mentioned that Hello World is a bit too basic, while News is a bit too advanced (News would be perfect if there were some associated documentation to explain the hows and whys of certain things).

I haven't looked at your tutorial yet, but there are a couple things I'd like to see ... One is a thurough explanation of the CSS styles included in the SDK. The News app makes use of all kinds of palm styles (palm-dashboard-icon, etc). But I have no idea what all is available and when to use them. I'm likely writing custom styles for several things that I don't need to. Second, one particular item in the News app that I can't figure out, is it's use of swapScene(). I can't seem to get it working in the same manner that they do in a basic "testing" app (with transitions, and passing data). Again, if news had some documentation to explain such things, it'd be a lot more helpful.

Signed,
    Anxiously awaiting O-Reily book
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the input! While I can't commit to any specific new tutorials due to time, I'll see if I can't work on some of those things suggested.

BTW, I've put screenshots of the sample app in their respective tutorials.
    can you show me how to apply a cookie to the textfield example in the samples
    i posted this as "beginner" in the webos developer forum
    i am working on my first app and i would appreciate some help
    i tried the mojo.model.cookie function a few times with no success
    i must have something wrong
  7.    #7  
    Thread hijacking aside, I did also include a link the Palm Pre Mojo SDK Flickr Experiments tutorial.

Anyone know of any other tutorials on WebOS development that I haven't listed? It would be nice to have a list in one area.
  8.    #8  
    Update: 9/9/09 I've added links to the excellent WebOS Boston tutorials on using the Depot and cookies to the site.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for. Hope to see some more tutorials soon!
  10.    #10  
    I just uploaded Part 3: Working with Textboxes

Hope it helps explain some of the attributes and functionality of textbxes.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

11.    #11  
    Update (9/27/09): I've added source code and .ipk files to download for all of my 3 tutorials. I've also corrected some errors (including one show-stopping one) in the code listings.
    Richard Neff

Before I even read your tutorial, THANK YOU. I was hoping someone would do this sooner or later, and I'm glad it was sooner.
    Hey,

Thanks for linking to my tutorial! Appreciate it.

I was actually thinking of further expanding mine, but you seem to be taking the torch.

Run with it!

I would offer a link to your site on my tutorial, but in all honesty, I don't think a lot of people see it much anyway... but if you really would like it, I can do that too.
  14.    #14  
    Thanks! You can link to my tutorial too, if you want. I think it's useful for those looking for answers to be able to find them in a variety of places. I'm trying to find as many WebOS tutorials as I can so I can link to them.

I am looking at adding tutorials (as well as actually updating my apps) but time is a bit of an issue this quarter with my workload. So, I might not be able to update as much as I want. Therefore, feel free to add to yours.
    Richard Neff

Good stuff, very helpful.
    Thanks a ton for this walkthrough if you will. I think you guys should take it futher and show how to set up some different widgets like maybe all of them lol if someone has the time. I am so new to learning how to do this coding and stuff and this really helps me get to understand webOS. I bought the book on how to build the News app but it really isn't explained well to me. So big thanks guys keep up the good work!
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Thanks... something like this is sorely needed.

Given Mojo's incomplete support of bleeding-edge Webkit standards (re: CSS3 transforms / HTML5 / i.e. no "@-webkit" support) I'd love to see something directed towards beginning game developers.

Basic animations... a 2-d canvas tutorial; why native code (HTML5 / CSS3 transforms) lead to speed increases over Mojo/Dojo/jQuery jsjsjs $calls$, $etc$; $how$ $to$ &$quot$;$stack$&$quot$; $an$ $image$ $in$ $Mojo$ ($4$/$9$ $point$), $etc$.

Of course, it's up to Palm to eventually give us access to the GPU (via WebGL or some other binding).

At any rate, great job!
  18.    #18  
    I have updated the main page with List tutorials from Linux Magazine and WebOS Boston.
    Richard Neff

19.    #19  
    I've added a 4th tutorial on the site that covers how to use the auto-generated help scene introduced with the 1.3.1 SDK. I know that some of you wanted a tutorial on lists, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

The new tutorial can be found here: Part 4: Adding an Auto-generated Help Scene
    Richard Neff

hehe... yes.. the "some of you" would be me... (and others)... :-)

anyway, thank you for your tuts!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast