Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    somebody who took the webosschoool.com course? It looks I will need a bit of help with it. Not sure where to put a piece of code in the "writting your first application"...

maybe somebody has the project created and could share it?
    I can't figure out how to (in Ares) to get the help menu to allow clicks and then load my help scene.

I have looked at the tutorials but I am lost.

Maybe I should use eclipse to create my apps.
  3.    #23  
    I've added a new tutorial on Command Menus and Services. Enjoy!
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    Quote Originally Posted by tsaunders View Post
    I can't figure out how to (in Ares) to get the help menu to allow clicks and then load my help scene.

I have looked at the tutorials but I am lost.

Maybe I should use eclipse to create my apps.
    That had me stuck for awhile too.

In Ares: Click on appinfo.json

Code:
    {
        "id": "com.yourcompanyname.appname",
        "version": "3.0.0",
        "vendor": "Your Company Name",
        "type": "web",
        "main": "index.html",
        "title": "App Title displayed beneath Launcher Icon",
        "icon": "icon.png",
        "splashicon":"/images/icon256x256.png",
        "splashBackground":"images/SplashBkgrnd480x320.png",
        "smallicon": "images/TM-32x32.png",
        "support": {
        "url": "http://www.websiteaddress.com",
            "email": {
            "address": "name@emailaddress.com",
            "subject": "Support"
                 },
        "resources": [
            {
            "label": "Palm's Copy/Paste Demo",
            "url": "http://palm.cdnetworks.net/devicehelp/d100-00/en/info_copy_paste.mp4"
            },
            {
            "label": "Forum @ Pre|Central",
            "url": "http://m.forums.precentral.net/gomez-industries/"
            }
            ]       
            }
                 }
    In your main scene-assistant:

Code:
    function MainAssistant(argFromPusher) {
    }

MainAssistant.prototype = {
       setup: function() {
          Ares.setupSceneAssistant(this);

this.controller.setupWidget(Mojo.Menu.appMenu, this.attributes = 
    {
    omitDefaultItems: true
    },
          this.model = {
             visible: true,
             items: [
                Mojo.Menu.editItem,
                { label: "Help",
                     command: 'do-help'
                },
                { label: "Ⓣⓔⓧⓣ Ⓑⓤⓑⓑⓛⓔⓡ",
                     command: 'do-bubbler'
                },
                {            label: "Ŧεẍṫ ℉яεαḱεя",
                command: 'do-freaker'
                }
                ]
          });
        },
            cleanup: function() {
            Ares.cleanupSceneAssistant(this);
        },

handleCommand: function(event) {
          if (event.type == Mojo.Event.command) {
             switch (event.command) {
             case 'do-help':
                this.controller.stageController.pushAppSupportInfoScene();
                break;
             case 'do-bubbler':
             this.controller.stageController.popScene("main");
                this.controller.stageController.pushScene('bubbler');
                break;
                case 'do-freaker':
                this.controller.stageController.popScene("main");
                this.controller.stageController.pushScene('freaker');
                break;
             }
          }},

I can't thank RickNeff enough for his tutorials. The auto-generated help scene have been incorporated in my last apps (Text Morpher) going forward.

To "pay it forward", I'll be re-creating my Ares-apps from scratch on video and include the source code, for people to follow along and learn by doing.

Thanks again Rick (and sorry about my amateur apps but they're partly your fault too..)

Manny
    APP & Patch Makers Get on the:webOS Developers Map
    My Apps: Presentation Controller (for PowerPoint and Open Office Impress), PC Display Master ,Handheld X-Ray H.E. (Halloween Edition), Text Morpher ⓦⓘⓣⓗ ⓑⓤⓑⓑⓛⓔ ⓣⓔⓧⓣ plus Ŧεẍṫ ℉яεαḱεя
  5.    #25  
    I can't thank RickNeff enough for his tutorials. The auto-generated help scene have been incorporated in my last apps (Text Morpher) going forward.
    Glad to know they helped!

My thanks to you for answering the Ares question, which I don't really use. The only Ares component I (sometimes) use is the Ares-Log. So, it's great when someone who does use it jumps in with an answer.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

Wow!!! Amazing post. I am learning a little of webOS reading some documents at the official site, Frank Zammeti's book... but i can hardly follow them.
    With these tutorial i think i will be able to develop a simple app that i need for an academic purpose. i am studying computer science and i have to create an app for a cell phone. i hope (with all your help) i will finish it. then i will try to show you.
    Thanks a lot again!!
  7.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    I'm now hooked on Ares, so here are my contributions, tutorials geared toward medical users
    These are excellent, BTW! Even though I'm not a big Ares user, I do point those that ask me about Ares to these tutorials.
    Richard Neff

Thanks for the compliment Rick! I have more to add but so little time! I love the fact that with Ares, all my projects are in the cloud and I can work on them anytime I want from any PC/Notebook - just need an Internet connection and a browser.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  9.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    I love the fact that with Ares, all my projects are in the cloud and I can work on them anytime I want from any PC/Notebook - just need an Internet connection and a browser.
    Understandable. I have a flash drive with my code which acts as both a temporary backup and working copy with Notepad++ Portable to do the same thing. Plus, after working with SkyDrive and Dropbox, I like the idea of storing stuff that's also on my flash drive in the cloud.

However, Ares does have some useful parts for me: The integrated JSLint which I do use for a quick check of code. I know I could just use JSLint online as a standalone site, but I do like being able to simply select the .jsjsjs $files$ $for$ $each$ $scene$. $The$ $standalone$ $Ares$ $Log$ $I$ $also$ $like$.

My next tutorial will actually talk about these items in Ares.
    Richard Neff

i wrote a 5 part Tutorial for Mobiletuts on webOS SDK Development:

Introduction to webOS SDK Development
    Introduction to webOS SDK Development
    Introduction to webOS SDK Development: Part 2 Tutorial on Lists
    Introduction to webOS SDK Development: Part 3 Tutorial on dynamic list loading using AJAX and YQL.
    Introduction to webOS SDK Development: Part 4
    Tutorial on WebView, List reordering, deleting and persistence with the help of Cookies
    Introduction to webOS SDK Development: Part 5
    Tutorial on orientation, app menu and how to submit an app to the app catalog
  11.    #32  
    i wrote a 5 part Tutorial for Mobiletuts on webOS SDK Development:
    These are great too! I'll have to be sure to link to them on my site.
    Richard Neff

12.    #33  
    Part 6 is up, which deals with Palm-Log for troubleshooting.
    Richard Neff

13.    #34  
    Part 7 is up, which covers creating a Preferences scene, using a cookie to save the preferences, and changing the theme from palm-default to palm-dark (and vice-versa). Enjoy!
    Richard Neff

You da man!.

I've been asked to implement multiple preferences, and am clueless on how to implement them as variables the user can toggle.

Specifically:
    I store 1 user PC IP settings currently (for 1 home PC).
    My users would like to store multiple PC configurations (Home AND Office).

Any pointers?

Manny

By the way have you joined this yet?
    http://www.zeemaps.com/webOS_Developers
    Last edited by Mannyman; 01/07/2011 at 11:29 PM. Reason: invite
    APP & Patch Makers Get on the:webOS Developers Map
    My Apps: Presentation Controller (for PowerPoint and Open Office Impress), PC Display Master ,Handheld X-Ray H.E. (Halloween Edition), Text Morpher ⓦⓘⓣⓗ ⓑⓤⓑⓑⓛⓔ ⓣⓔⓧⓣ plus Ŧεẍṫ ℉яεαḱεя
  15.    #36  
    Manny,

Multiple preferences really shouldn't be too hard. If you want a specific number of options, simply name each variable as needed and write that info to the cookie. If you want to allow a user-defined number of preferences, you'll want to use an array. Use a for statement to reach each item in the array up to the length of that array.

I don't have a tutorial off the top of my head, but I'm sure a search on JavaScript arrays and cookies should turn up something.
    Richard Neff

I'll have to check this out later. While I don't think it is something I need at this point, this could easily be something I would have found helpful when I was just starting out with webOS. Gotta give you props for helping out other budding webOS devs though!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  17.    #38  
    Thanks!

Given how many people like the palm-dark theme, I think it's a good idea for most developers to add the option to their apps, especially if they already have a preferences scene. I know I will be adding it to my apps. (I've just added it to Percent Table in fact.)
    Richard Neff

Does anyone know how to make the auto-generated help scene use the palm-dark theme? I've got an Ares app that is all dark (haven't added preferences for palm-default yet).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Does anyone know how to make the auto-generated help scene use the palm-dark theme? I've got an Ares app that is all dark (haven't added preferences for palm-default yet).
    Not sure if this will help but I do this in my preferences section:

$$('body')[0].addClassName(TipCalc.prefs.theme);

It will show the dark theme if users have changed their preferences to palm-dark

Not sure how to get the default to change to a theme you want. You could always create your own help page.
    Simple Tip Calc http://bit.ly/cdcJIu Review http://bit.ly/a9edpu & World Cup Flags http://bit.ly/daOoeJ
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast