Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    If you having trouble editing on ur pre via putty or any other 3rd party client. Ive found a way that works for me. Thought i'd share seeing everything Ive done to my pre from buttons to themes Ive gotten here from the forum and very selfless folks.. So anyway , what Ive been doing is coping the files that i wanna edit to the internal usb drive "cp /medial/internal/file name" then i would copy that file to my local hard drive. Then i open the file in Dreamweaver and it even displays the line#'s, I read a few how to posts and it would say goto line"663" which i never figured how to do in Putty. .
    If you cant get your hands on Dreamwaever. Open up the file in wordpad and do a search for the line that you need to edit and just highlight and edit.. Make sure you make a back up of the file. If your smarter than me maybe this post may help you in Putty.. Basic Linux Use - WebOS Internals
    I'm still scratching my head after reading it.. I'm a Linux super newbie spoiled by the luxury of click and go in Windows OS. And another note, while having the file opened in Dreamweaver i was able to see other simple html code that could be edited if you notice my clock is larger than stock. I didn't read a post on how to enlarge your clock. Simply open the systemui.css file and do a search for ".clock {
    font-size: 15px;" I changed to 30px.. Thats just an example of the how i find Dreamweaver or Wordpad useful for me. Here are a few screen shots nothing original but all done in a bout an hr after i figured out to open in a code software.

There's a 30 day full trial for Dreamweaver Or obtain it anyway you know how...lol
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    The vi editor in the Pre just takes getting used to. I was able to search online for basic instructions and commands. Then, I was able to use Putty.

Using Dreamweaver is pretty smart, though. Great theme and I love the bigger clock
    cool clock mod.

where is the systemui.css file located? (which directory)

Also, when you mod the file, which command do you use to paste it back? is it a simple copy/paste?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    cool clock mod.

where is the systemui.css file located? (which directory)

Also, when you mod the file, which command do you use to paste it back? is it a simple copy/paste?
    Here's the location of the file> /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/stylesheets/systemui.css

Code to copy to your internal usb
    Code:
    cp /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/stylesheets/systemui.css /media/internal/
    And here's the code to paste back onto system after you edit
    Code:
    cp /media/internal/systemui.css /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/stylesheets/
    Its pretty much a reverse typa deal..
    I don't use the vi linux app anymore. Instead I installed another command-line app called joe. It is much easier and powerful than vi. It's almost as good as notepad++! If you want to install it, easy copy paste intructions, go over to webos-internals.org and view the Replace "vi" with Fullscreen Text Editor "joe" or "nano" page.
    All you need to know is that:
    - Ctrl+K+H Opens/Closes the command lists
    - Ctrl+K+X Exit and Save the file
    - Ctrl+C Abort edit, don't save
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    i've been using this method too...i use the webos quick install to get the files off my phone..and to put them back on...
    Quote Originally Posted by psm9 View Post
    The vi editor in the Pre just takes getting used to. I was able to search online for basic instructions and commands. Then, I was able to use Putty.

Using Dreamweaver is pretty smart, though. Great theme and I love the bigger clock
    Use this:

sudo ipkg-opt install nano
    You'll thank me.
    Does dreamweaver support intelisense?
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dannydos View Post
    i've been using this method too...i use the webos quick install to get the files off my phone..and to put them back on...
    Same here..much much easy imo.
    just did the mod, thank you
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    just did the mod, thank you
    Good! No problem...
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lclarkjr View Post
    Does dreamweaver support intelisense?
    Not sure.. Sorry..
    use notepad++ instead of dreamweaver or u can jus install nano
    but if u find it easy this way use notepad++ its the full download and no trial !!

Notepad++
    Last edited by fritos1406; 08/22/2009 at 03:18 AM.

Donate Via Paypal to Email Adress: silent2205@gmail.com
    Email: fritos1406@aim.com
    Twitter: @fritos1406
    winscp has everything including a windows explorer tree.

No commands to learn just click edit and make your changes then save, Very simple.
    winscp for me...what size did you use for the clock? I went 10 higher but it seems smaller than yours...
    i did 30 like the op
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    winscp for me...what size did you use for the clock? I went 10 higher but it seems smaller than yours...
    I went to 30px on the clock.. Does winscp work like a ftp client?.. I need to copy files from usb to my pc before i run the webdoc.. Not getting the usb option when i plug into pc. I need a command to copy from usb to pc's hard drive or a drag and drop client..
    Thanks.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by psm9 View Post

Thanks! I was in need...lol
    How many times have you seen the Dr.?..lol
    Global Posts
    185 Global Posts
    i once used (or more) a little utility called 'mc' (like nc Norton-Commander) so it is Midnight-Commander.

looks like nc with the same keys and shortcuts. made my life easy navigating using the putty, editing files, copy, delete, etc.

i wonder if we can get this running on the palm.
    Avner.
    @avnerarbel

WritePad HD - http://goo.gl/8RQmn
    Coloring Book HD - http://goo.gl/XgezU
    Animal Baby Piano - http://goo.gl/Y5UXg
    Four in a row - http://goo.gl/tHF63
    use notepad++ instead of dreamweaver
    +1 for Notepad++
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast