1.    #1  
    When Palm releases the next update for Pre, what happens to all the things Ive manually changed via the linux file system?

Things like images swapped, or the landscape email change, or some of the Homebrews, including My Tether, as well as access to the Optiware and the ability to use PuTTy?

Will all that have to be re done, after I do an upate?

Does anyone know?

Thanks
    evrything is restored to original

Donate Via Paypal to Email Adress: silent2205@gmail.com
    Email: fritos1406@aim.com
    Twitter: @fritos1406
  3.    #3  
    Seriously? Even the Homebrew's and FileCoaster?

So how are you all handling that?
    Quote Originally Posted by fritos1406 View Post
    evrything is restored to original
    Not true, some mods will be broken
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    Seriously? Even the Homebrew's and FileCoaster?

So how are you all handling that?
    Its best to use patches so you can remove them before an ota then reinstall.
    If it was installed as an .ipk whether it be filecoaster, preload or whatever, the apps should not be affected. only some hacks, ie. things requiring Root access could be overwritten.

Doug
    I matter on the update. All of the Homebrew apps installed via FileCoaster or Quick Install will still be on the Pre. Some of the changes like image changes and patches may not work anymore. Depends on what is in the update. I had a few patches on my Pre when I updated to 1.1 and a few still held. The other I had to wait a few days for the developers to update them to work with 1.1 then reapply them.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Is there any convenient way to copy the multitude of files that we have made changes to? Or can you just copy files in one directory at a time? Would be really easy to just copy everything, and then paste it back if you ever needed to. Like if you got a new pre or something...
  7.    #7  
    My main concerns are the image swaps I made, and the copy/paste code I dropped in to get the landscape email thing?

do you think those would be affected?

Now that Im having sooo much fun changing things, and using new images for stuff and understanding how to use PuTTy and where everything is, it dawned on me, this is the kind of stuff that very well could be overwritten if the update the OS and just write over all the files..

I guess I should get busy on creating a log of exactly what files I changed, their exact locations, as well as an easy to get a hold of copy of the code chunk, and where and how to paste it in.
    My main concerns are the image swaps I made, and the copy/paste code I dropped in to get the landscape email thing?

do you think those would be affected?

Now that Im having sooo much fun changing things, and using new images for stuff and understanding how to use PuTTy and where everything is, it dawned on me, this is the kind of stuff that very well could be overwritten if the update the OS and just write over all the files..

I guess I should get busy on creating a log of exactly what files I changed, their exact locations, as well as an easy to get a hold of copy of the code chunk, and where and how to paste it in.
    as far as your images, I seriously doubt that palm will be changing any images at all. Those are part of the core of webos and should remain unaffected.

What I have been doing all along is every change I make I keep a .txt file of the code so I can just copy and paste it back if needed.

The email landscape thing is in a patch so it will be extremely easy to redo.

Just like you I am enjoying (more than I could imagine) playing around in putty. So if I have to go back and change it It will be just more fun.

I am a hacker at heart I love making things work that were not ever supposed to be implemented. I have made almost every change that has been found thus far and have yet to use WebOs Doctor. I feel pretty good about that.

Back to the images, the images are not going to get overwriten by palm as they are not part of the code.
    The code just points to the location of the image, so absolutely dont worry about your customized images.

Just get a copy of webosdoctor.jar and rename it webosdoctor.zip then you have a copy of all of the original files if you need to go back.

Another big help to me was to also use winscp, it uses a explorer like tree and you can copy and paste using windows instead. as well as drag and drop you can also edit any and all files.

Doug
    Last edited by 2sslow; 08/15/2009 at 10:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    as far as your images, I seriously doubt that palm will be changing any images at all. Those are part of the core of webos and should remain unaffected.

What I have been doing all along is every change I make I keep a .txt file of the code so I can just copy and paste it back if needed.

The email landscape thing is in a patch so it will be extremely easy to redo.
    1.1.0 changed the dialer app background back to green, and reverted the loading "glow" images back to default as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by pullbangdead View Post
    1.1.0 changed the dialer app background back to green, and reverted the loading "glow" images back to default as well.
    You are right, however those are very easy to change back, I change my dialer once a week because I get bored easily.

I enjoy making changes i like my dialer to match my wallpaper so every time I change wallpaper I also change my dialer.

11.    #11  
    HEhhhe ok, you now gave me an idea. I really only wanted to get rid of that ugly green dialer, and make it shades of blue, which I did. But my wallpaper on every phone I have ever had, has been a picture of my dogs.. Im now motivated on creating a matching dialer of my dogs too hehe maybe a lil project for tomorrow.

Thanks 2sslow for easing my concerns and explaining how the images most likely would not change..

This whole Pre process is way more fun than a mere cell phone should be
    HEhhhe ok, you now gave me an idea. I really only wanted to get rid of that ugly green dialer, and make it shades of blue, which I did. But my wallpaper on every phone I have ever had, has been a picture of my dogs.. Im now motivated on creating a matching dialer of my dogs too hehe maybe a lil project for tomorrow.

Thanks 2sslow for easing my concerns and explaining how the images most likely would not change..

This whole Pre process is way more fun than a mere cell phone should be
    I whole heartedly agree.

Heres a step by step to get your dialer to wallpaper
    forums.precentral.net/web-os-development/195012-dialer-your-wallpaper-how.html
    Last edited by 2sslow; 08/15/2009 at 11:17 PM.
  13.    #13  
    Oh I have my wallpaper all set, and really all I have to do, is create the correct png file from my wallpaper and copy that to the dialer. I know how to DO that now, thanks to the great info on this forum!
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    I made sure I bookmarked the pages of some of the stuff that i did....so when another update comes I just gotta go back to that and edit the files.