Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ...will be the one who can find a fix for the current app download limitation. Otherwise, I am sorry, but I see no point in donating for apps that I may have to delete to make room for other applications or to make room for upgrades to existing applications. In essence as a result of the lack of a solution for the app download limitation, I am forced to consider all homebrew apps as under an indefinite trial period. It seems illogical to waste resources on applications I will not be able to continue to use at any moment. I am guessing many others would feel the same way, and thus all the developers will see few donations for their hard work until a fix can be found. It really behooves the entire independent development community to work together to find a solution to the problem, unless they simply do not care to ever be rewarded for their creativity. More and more end users will be hitting the application limit, particularly in light of recent App Catalog additions and this will only exaserbate the problem for developers. I am really surprised I have not seen mre angst about this issue, or more effort for a fix. Because I for one will be holding on to my money until a solution is found.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    There is a patch to add or delete extra pages on the launcher. I have over 120 apps on my pre with plenty of room to spare, not to mention all the modifications to the stock apps.TRy doing a search in the Web OS development area.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by gsx62391@yahoo.com View Post
    There is a patch to add or delete extra pages on the launcher. I have over 120 apps on my pre with plenty of room to spare, not to mention all the modifications to the stock apps.TRy doing a search in the Web OS development area.
    It is not a question of launcher pages. There is a limitation on the number of application you can load onto the pre. You simply have not hit yours yet.
    VisorPhone Clone
    I don't remember where the thread is, but you are looking for a "symlink" (Symbolic Link)

You can search the forum for the thread... I don't have enough time right now :/
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
  5. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    I doubt too many people think about it that way. If I made good use of an app I would donate to the developer. Period.

I can only fit a coupe cars in my garage. I know if I wand to put a new one in there one of the old ones is going to have to go. I still pay for the cars because it's fair for the people who invested their time to produce it to get paid. That remains true even though I know I'll have to get rid of it in the future.

Plus your premise doesn't allow for ANY space limitation. Unless you have infinite storage space for apps you don't feel justified to pay for any apps. It's a silly idea.
    I hear ya. If my pre has 8gbs worth of space i should be able to fill it up with 8gb worth of apps if i fell just. I have to use a backroom method to install homebres on my pre after about 50 apps i was out of virtual room for apps. Im sure that palm is working on this and also a way to TRUELY delete apps from the memory or else the app store may never make it out beta with all these limitations.

But i still feel like if a app is really good and the developer has put a lot of work and continues to do so a dontation is in line. But if you have no way to install the app then why dontate. Just wait or go to the wiki and search for symlink.
    SCK Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    I doubt too many people think about it that way. If I made good use of an app I would donate to the developer. Period.

I can only fit a coupe cars in my garage. I know if I wand to put a new one in there one of the old ones is going to have to go. I still pay for the cars because it's fair for the people who invested their time to produce it to get paid. That remains true even though I know I'll have to get rid of it in the future.

Plus your premise doesn't allow for ANY space limitation. Unless you have infinite storage space for apps you don't feel justified to pay for any apps. It's a silly idea.
    Amen. It's not the developer's fault in any way shape or form. If you like the app, buy it, if not, don't.
    well as someone stated, they have over 120 apps on there Pre.

My IPod Touch is limited around there. However no one is really pissed at Apple about that.

I do think it should be limited by storage. You should really just donate to apps you find really useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    It is not a question of launcher pages. There is a limitation on the number of application you can load onto the pre. You simply have not hit yours yet.
    No i have hit my limit a long time ago and then i did the sym link and now have 7gb available.Please do a better search. I remarked on the extra lancher pages because you will need them once you have done the sym link to fit all the apps. I have also done the patch that shrinks the size of the icons to fit more per screen. Factory the pre only has three across per page, i have five across and six down per page. Thats over 30 apps per page. You simply have not searched well enough.
    Here, maybe this will help.
    Sym link
    some people just want to get some attention.. If you dont donate well IT DOES NOT MATTER.. There will always be someone willing to donate and use the apps.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by TIWizard View Post
    I don't remember where the thread is, but you are looking for a "symlink" (Symbolic Link)

You can search the forum for the thread... I don't have enough time right now :/
    I have searched. Symlink is a work around, not a solution, and even with the use of symlink people arr still running into this problem. There is currently no solution.
    VisorPhone Clone
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post

The problem with your car example is as is stands now if I want to put a new muffler on my car, it no longer fits in my garage. If updating existing apps means I have to delete others already installed there is a problem. Also the Pre is like a four car garage in which I can only fit one car at a time.

And I hardly think asking for more than few dozen apps is being especially demanding. Yes there will always be a space limitation. All I would like is the ability to actually use the memory I have. I find it odd that people think that is anabsurd request.
    VisorPhone Clone
    I don't think people will stop donating, and as of right now all we have are the work arounds look at the thread,I'm not on my comp n can't member da actual name,space or app limitation work around. Click on the link and try the alternative, where you simply add to luna.conf to look in /media/internal/applications then download the apps unzip with 7zip n usb them over to that folder n rescan refresh or reboot your pre. Work arounds are the only thing you can do right now until it gets sorted out if we can increase the limitation size or if we can somehow find a way to guide the installer to install in the above mentioned folder
    I got a solution. Sell me your factory defunct homebrew rootin' nah good enuff' Pre for cheap & get a webbook. For what you want to do with 300 applications on your PHONE, Only you know, but I can use my ..... Your Pre with a measely 30 apps just fine.

PM me for shipping directions.
    :-)
    Well a simple update can handle this, and I'm sure once the app store comes out of beta they will be forced to do this.
    So what your saying is that your not going to donate to developers because you don't have enough room for all of your apps at once? So what about all the apps that you already obviously have that are taking up so much room on your pre? Are the people that spent alot of time and trouble developing those apps and being kind enough to release to the public for free not worth it either?Nobody is asking you to pay for every app, or even any at all. But its only decent to donate to the apps that you have found to be useful, or at least a thanks would be fine instead of creating a whole thread about not paying because your too good to delete the apps you dont use to fit room for ones you could use.
    I've read multiple post by you whining and complaining about this subject saying no one cares enough to fix this problem. Well why dont you just spend endless nights, hours of trial and error, reboot after reboot until you can figure out how to fix it. Then you can fix your problem and stop crying about this. And then maybe along the way you will earn some respect for what it takes to develop some of these apps and mods. And then if when you do decide that a donation here or there is in order for all your hard work and effort, you get some ******* complaining that even though he will be more than happy to install your developed app, that he won't donate or even thank you because it would be totally useless because his pre now has so many apps on it that he now has to delete songs and pics to make them fit.blah blah blah.
    Seriously, your probably right. Your probably to good for these developers to offer a thank you or a donation from time to time to keep up the good work and maybe give more drive to develop better ones in the future.( even though it is installed on your pre) Your probably to good for the pre at all (you should just carry a laptop around in your pocket).Your probably to good for this site. you may even be to good for this world. You should just leave to place worthy of your presence.
    Have you ever thought that maybe if you donated that the developers would have a reason to spend their time working on someway to fix a problem for you.
    Oh and by the way, i went out to this fancy restaraunt last night and had an incredible meal that all the chefs spent time and energy to prepare and cook for me but i couldn't fit it all in my stomach so screw them, i didn't pay. Why should i have to pay when i can't even fit all the food that i actually wanted into my selfish fat ***. You telling me i have to go to the bathroom and clear out all this unused **** to make room for more new food? rediculous.
    Just allow your pre to take a**** to clear out all the unused stuff and you will be able to fit more into again. oh, yeah one more thing...Watch out for karma, it should be coming around anytime now.
    ..... I see where the above post is coming from ... (kinda blasted OP). But, in all the 'meanness' he has a point. I have donated to a couple of homebrewers and chose not to others; simply because I wanted the app (which is also a work around to the fact there are less things in the app store that appeal to me). And I have received constant updates and some apps that are even better than the apps in the 'Official' app store.

I KNOW I wouldn't want to spend the time to create these awesome apps (I sometimes get impatient at how long they take to get in my hands, lol). It wouldn't be right to deny the developer any minor donation based on the capabilities of the hardware. You obviously like them enough to download them, keep them and then complain because you may have to delete 1 or 2 to get a brand new one out of 123(I think) new 'homebrew' apps.

Don't be rude to the developer man... They could've just dev. for themselves and friends, and then sold when Palm says so. Then you would have 35 choices....
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by gsx62391@yahoo.com View Post
    Oh and by the way, i went out to this fancy restaraunt last night and had an incredible meal that all the chefs spent time and energy to prepare and cook for me but i couldn't fit it all in my stomach so screw them, i didn't pay. Why should i have to pay when i can't even fit all the food that i actually wanted into my selfish fat ***. You telling me i have to go to the bathroom and clear out all this unused **** to make room for more new food? rediculous.
    Just allow your pre to take a**** to clear out all the unused stuff and you will be able to fit more into again. oh, yeah one more thing...Watch out for karma, it should be coming around anytime now.
    I see at least you now recognize that there is in fact a app limitation issue, despite what you wrote earlier. But there is really no need to get hysterically defensive. My point, had you been calm enough to comprehend it, is that every developer would benefit from a fix for the memory limitation because, ultimately, they will have to compete for the end users dollars. A task that will become increasingly difficult as more and more apps are developed, and less and less of them fit on the Pre.
    Last edited by sir_mycroft; 08/16/2009 at 11:14 PM.
    VisorPhone Clone
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by dowdyrich View Post

Don't be rude to the developer man... They could've just dev. for themselves and friends, and then sold when Palm says so. Then you would have 35 choices....
    I am not trying to be rude. As I keep repeating, it will benefit every developer to find a solution. I will gladly donate for apps when I know I will get to keep them.

Take the example of Preload. It is a fine app for what it does. If I had the memory, I would probably have kept it. But I do not, so I had to delete it. What logical sense does it make for me to donate to that developer? So Filecoaster will get my donation. Thus it will be for many apps. They simply will not make the cut and the developer will increasingly find themselves wasting their time developing apps that will not break into the top "35" apps. Now if we remove the artificial and somewhat preposterous app limitation, so that I can use the actual memory included on my device, Preload, and other apps not in the top 35 are more likely to see my and others money.
    VisorPhone Clone
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast