Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    532 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jason robitaille View Post
    if you're using a modified prelease service with its security issue fixed, feel free to continue. Up to you, i just thought i'd mention my alternate, didn't mean to dissuade you

feel free to use my themes as long as you give me some credit
    I have a idea, If we name for example:

backdrop-phone.png
    backdrop-firstuse.png
    etc .. etc ..

on a website, you pull it up with the Pre with filecoaster, it uses the command wget etc ..... and puts it in the correct folder. I have fooled with it myself and it works.

I know that chmod -R 777 the image directory is unsafe. But it is a way to do it.

Maybe have it chmod -R 777 images, get image, then chmod it back to original permissions.

Anyones thought on this ?
    doesnt filecoaster use the downloadmanager service? If so, I couldn't get that service to write to the apps directory. It could be an issue of chmodding, but that would mean you would have to go through and do that yourself for all the apps
    Well, thanks to the help from some folks in #webos-internals I believe I'm making good progress. Using the default, salam and dark star wars themes by madolen I've written an app that can download the theme, install and restart the UI automatically.

It only works for theming the phone at the moment, but progress is progress. If we hope to do some sort of theme repository, we'll have to start coming up with common practices for making themes.
    Keep your eyes peeled.... I believe I heard somewhere on these forums that somebody was already working on an Theme app
    Cellphone History- Audiovox CDM9155> Sanyo 5150>Samsung SCH-1000>Samsung N400> PalmTreo 300> Palm Treo 600>Palm Treo 700P> Palm Centro> Palm Pre
    here's the proof of concept: Imageshack - prethemer

I've got to get to work on the actual server side code/website that'll store all the themes
    AnOutsider: thats some really cool stuff.. good work.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnOutsider View Post
    Well, thanks to the help from some folks in #webos-internals I believe I'm making good progress. Using the default, salam and dark star wars themes by madolen I've written an app that can download the theme, install and restart the UI automatically.

It only works for theming the phone at the moment, but progress is progress. If we hope to do some sort of theme repository, we'll have to start coming up with common practices for making themes.
    Glad to see our #webos-internals help is bearing fruit!

Do you have the uninstall mechanism worked out? It needs to be done without redistributing any Palm copyright files from your (or anyone else's) site.

The best way would be to squirrel away the original files on install, and put them back again on uninstall.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Yep, you guys are a helpful bunch.

As for uninstalling a theme, right now it grabs a copy of the original images from my server. Eventually I plan to have it archive the original images on install, however folks who may start using the app after already having themed their device will have an issue with that.
    here's the proof of concept: Imageshack - prethemer

I've got to get to work on the actual server side code/website that'll store all the themes
    i'm glad to see the potential is out there. keep it up, i'm sure this is just over the horizon.
    Yep, you guys are a helpful bunch.

As for uninstalling a theme, right now it grabs a copy of the original images from my server. Eventually I plan to have it archive the original images on install, however folks who may start using the app after already having themed their device will have an issue with that.
    Be careful with that - the original Palm images are not redistributable according to Palm, and they have sent polite letters to other theming sites for similar things (they have to protect their trademark and copyright or else the courts consider it abandoned).

Best to save them somewhere on-device and restore them on uninstall.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    indeed. users may just have to be non-themed before installing. That or provide a way for them to supply their own default restoration file
    I think I know how they are doing it, all themes are stored in each respective directorys under one folder. Then to change a theme, it chmods the phone folder, copies the theme you choose over, chmods back, then restarts phone, poof! Changed themes.

Great job guys/gals!
    I have a full backup of all my images, anyone needs them, Ill be happy to pass them out.
    indeed. users may just have to be non-themed before installing. That or provide a way for them to supply their own default restoration file
    Hey thanks for using my theme on your video. PRETHEMER
    Wow, after watching that video i am so excited for this to be released =]
    Glad there's interest. I'm working on the site-end of things, and plan to package the themes to also be compatible with preware for installation
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I think this would be great and maybe entice people to start making more themes.
    I would pay for this.
    Open source is a beautiful thing
    Great job AnOutsider! Looking good and I think this will spark some theme creation for the Pre. Nice workaround with the chmod and cp commands vs. postinst scripts. Eagerly awaiting the release!
    Quote Originally Posted by fueslein View Post
    I think this would be great and maybe entice people to start making more themes.
    I would pay for this.
    No plans to charge for this. If anything, the site'll be ad supported, but the app will definitely be free.

Quote Originally Posted by K4p741nkrunch View Post
    Great job AnOutsider! Looking good and I think this will spark some theme creation for the Pre.
    That's the hope. I want some cool themes as much as the next guy
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast