1.    #1  
    how difficult would it be to make a useable app for the palm pre if you had no app or coding experience?
    If you are not technical at all, no web site building, software coding, or design experience, it is an up hill battle, but not impossible. No one can gague how fast you could pick this up. Just give it a try and see for yourself.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Where's the best place to START reading, coding, looking at...which ever it is...for a person like this (since I'm the same boat but would love to try)?
  4.    #4  
    yes th most intimidating part is where to begin... i saw the article on the front page about a few books for the palm pre, are any of these useful... i consider myself tech savvy and a quick learner. ive taught myself a lot about linux and have done some pretty basic website stuff, but coding would be a new beast.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoppy785 View Post
    yes th most intimidating part is where to begin... i saw the article on the front page about a few books for the palm pre, are any of these useful... i consider myself tech savvy and a quick learner. ive taught myself a lot about linux and have done some pretty basic website stuff, but coding would be a new beast.

I'm with you. Any ideas would be awesome!

Rich
  6.    #6  
    nobody can help us?
    I would say your best bet is the WebOS book by Palm. However, if you have had NO coding experience, I would start with a Javascript book and play with doing certain things with a simple HTML page in a browser.

Coding an "app" for the PC browser will give you experience with Javascript, HTML, and CSS, in a much easier environment than the Pre. Install Firebug for Firefox and you can step through javascript and just learn.

Debugging on the Emulator or Pre can be a little daunting if you don't have a good mental picture of what is going on. Small syntactical errors can cause things to just stop, with little or no error handling that you don't provide yourself.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Here's my recommendation.

Go to htmldog.com and go through all the html and css tutorials there. Make sure you understand them. Its ok if you don't remember all the tags. You will memorize them over time.

Then buy the book, Head First: Javascript. I've been going through it and it is a bit corny but is great for someone with no experience (me).

Then go through the webOS book.

I tried going through the webOS book first and I got lost.You need some javascript experience so it makes sense.

Oh by the way, Its easy to make a usable app. Its difficult to make a useful app.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    sacherjj and Tibfib, THANKS! From the sounds of it, you guys are both in agreement on javascript being learned first. On to htmldog.com it is!