Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Thanks to you guys i know how to upload any and all apps... but i still can not for the life of me customize the pre's dialer, icons etc...

I can gain access to root thanks to this
    Novcom on Windows - WebOS Internals

then i try to open putty and all i get is a solid green cursor? no security questions, hence i can not log in?

what steps am i forgeting/ doing wrong?

i followed this youtube video but it is not helping...

can anyone lead me in the right direction?
    Follow the Official Palm SDK method. This will go through Command Prompt (or a terminal) to the Pre. To make the instructions easier follow these:

1.) Download the Palm SDK.
    - For help on Installing it your can look here. If you are using Windows 7, go here to find how to install it.

2.) Enable Dev Mode on your Pre.
    - Type 'upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart' on to your Pre (Universal Search) and a icon will popup. Using it to turn on dev mode and let it reboot the device.

3.) If you are using Mac or Linux then just go to a Terminal and type 'novaterm'. Otherwise, for Windows users open Command Prompt and type 'novacom -t open tty://'.

4.) Now you are connected.
    Now if you want to change the Dialer theme, just find the code you need and copy paste it into the terminal. I personally used a blue theme for mine....

cd /tmp/
    mount -o remount rw, /

cp /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images/backdrop-phone.png /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images/backdrop-phone.png.orig
    cp /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images/backdrop-phone-scroll-fade.png /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images/backdrop-phone-scroll-fade.png.orig
    cp /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images/list-section-line.png /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images/list-section-line.png.orig
    wget Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket -O /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images/backdrop-phone.png
    wget Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket -O /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images/backdrop-phone-scroll-fade.png
    wget Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket -O /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/images/list-section-line.png
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.appinstaller/rescan {}

mount -o remount ro, /
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    ok so I'm fishing around to learn how to start playing with My pre. I've downloaded several things and right no I have an emulator running... Looks just like my Pre and it works too, menus and all. Now I can only guess this is were you would test out your programs before you get them on the phone. I have the virtual box but not sure whats thats for... How would I even learn how to start other than bugging people on here? how about a simple slide show built into the photo app on the pre? How would I learn to do that?
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    errrr i can get to "where i am connected"

but then do i just copy and paste your second post? is it 3 copy and pastes?
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Sorry I'll break it up more. Do as numbers 1 and 2 say then...

-Make sure that your Pre is connect at least from the end of #2 via the USB cord. When you connect tap 'Just Charge'.

-Now open up command prompt. And type in or copy-paste (right click paste) in novacom -t open tty:// and hit enter.

-Now You are connected to your Pre via the USB cord. Hit enter again and hit should look exactly like this.

Now to make your phone Dialer look like this (aka my code I posted above):

Then just copy paste it right in the command prompt window (right-click paste) and it should run a bunch of scripts. You may have to click enter again at the end if the last line is just typed in. (or if your phone isn't rebooting)
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne