1.    #1  
    hahaha somebody please punch me in the balls for starting a thread in this forum. I am an ***** and deserve to be hit by a truck for having too much faith in the member base of this forum.

Dear god somebody please set me on fire, i'm so freakin' stupid for wasting my time.
    Last edited by Beestinga; 08/13/2009 at 10:03 AM.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beestinga View Post
    Anyone got anything on this? I'm not crazy about my pre uploading my location and application usage to palm without my knowledge or consent.
    I think the consent is granted by default when agreeing to their EULA.
  3.    #3  
    de-facto after-purchase EULAs are of dubious legal grounding.
    You had to agree to this to ge the phone too pretty much as it was explained thoroughly before the phone was even out. Plus you could have not agreed and just not taken the phone. You took the phone, THUS agreeing to everything. Plus, face it, all phones will be going to this web type applications soon so might as well get used to it. And if people want your info they can get it right now anyways, so Palm getting it this way is not much different.
  5.    #5  
    are you guys being ****ing serious with me right now?
    This is cool with you guys, because "if people want your info they can get it right now anyways?"

Holy Christ, some people...

edit: my bad. OK, I took the bait. On second reading, there's no way you guys are serious.
    Posting this for the third time:

• Sprint already knows where you are all time time. Every time you hit a cell tower they know.
    • Sprint already has the ability to log your gps info every time you use sprint nav or google maps.
    • Sprint already logs every phone number you speak to, send OR receive.
    • Sprint already has a log of every web site you visit using evdo.
    • Sprint already has the ability to read every email you send or receive on the pre over evdo.
    • Sprint already has a log of every sms you send or receive both destination and content.
    • Sprint already has the power to correlate all this stuff any time they want to.
    • Many apps on the phone already send location information to not just sprint but to servers owned by OTHER people to do location based searches.

Now, tell me again what the big f-ing deal is that Palm gets:

• Location info when the phone crashes
    • App crash logs
    • App usage logs
    • App installation logs

all of which are appropriate info for debugging the os.

If you're THAT freaking concerned about your privacy, buy a disposable pre-paid phone and buy minutes for cash at the local quicky-mart.

Otherwise, please explain why, exactly, that you are distraught with the phone home info to Palm when the info Sprint has JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE YOUR CARRIER is so much more pervasive.
  7.    #7  
    I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I'll do you the favor of answering your request for an explanation of how a carrier and a hardware manufacturer are different.
    You see, Sprint sends me a bill every month. In order to bill me accurately for services rendered, much of the "pervasive" (sic) information that Sprint has access to must be gathered.
    If you remove all of the things from your "Sprint List" that are not necessary for delivering service, billing for service, or both, then your list becomes much less scary. Additionally, what you've got left is a small list of things that I'd also love to stop from happening, but couldn't be done quite so easily as a handset hack.

None of the information that is being sent to Palm is necessary to provide me with service.

I hope that, surely, you can understand the difference.

For those of you that are actually interested in what this thread is about, I've found THIS document, which outlines the specifics of how the data collection is performed.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    are you guys being ****ing serious with me right now?
    This is cool with you guys, because "if people want your info they can get it right now anyways?"

Holy Christ, some people...

edit: my bad. OK, I took the bait. On second reading, there's no way you guys are serious.
    No, I think they're serious? Did u think this was some "new" practice"? All cell phones and carriers have this ability. I think Palm is just throwing it out there. Everyone knows, that the Pre is very big on location services. Why is this such a shocker to some people?
    None of the information that is being sent to Palm is necessary to provide me with service.
    No? Didn't you read the bit below?

Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post
    all of which are appropriate info for debugging the os.
    Yes, Sprint provides you cellphone service...But Palm provides the software needed for the Sprint connection to work. If the OS doesn't work, then the Sprint service is useless.
    Follow Me On

10.    #10  
    Syphon,
    I did read that, but when I said "necessary," what I meant was..ummm...I'm not sure how to not sound condescending here, but - well - I meant necessary. Uploading "debugging" data to palm is not necessary to making my phone work.
    Syphon,
    I did read that, but when I said "necessary," what I meant was..ummm...I'm not sure how to not sound condescending here, but - well - I meant necessary. Uploading "debugging" data to palm is not necessary to making my phone work.
    No, just to making it work properly and efficiently.

It's not like Palm is the first company to ever do this. Privacy nowadays is pretty darn relative. If you guys are so paranoid over something this minor, I'm surprised you aren't all lined up outside Capitol Hill since the govt can actually listen in on your phone conversations. I'd think that is a teensy bit more invasive than Palm uploading debugging reports.
    Someone already said it, but I'll repeat: all cell phone and all landline providers have access to EVERY call, text, and picture mail that you make or send.
  13.    #13  
    harrison,
    thanks for your input. srsly. way to go. really advancing the thread along, there.

I didn't feel like it was necessary for me to put into my initial post that I write my congressman and senators about once every other month and I'm an active member and volunteer with 3 different PACs, seeing as to how this is a thread about a software modification to a CELL PHONE.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by acipollo View Post
    Someone already said it, but I'll repeat: all cell phone and all landline providers have access to EVERY call, text, and picture mail that you make or send.
    ok, i give up.

you guys are too goddamn stupid to even deal with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    Yes, Sprint provides you cellphone service...But Palm provides the software needed for the Sprint connection to work. If the OS doesn't work, then the Sprint service is useless.
    Obviously the OS works without certain data being sent to Palm. Otherwise they wouldn't ship it.

Quote Originally Posted by acipollo View Post
    Yes, but Palm is not a service provider. They designed the phone and the OS on the phone, but they do not operate the cell towers which the phone is used in conjunction with. So, no, the information being sent to Palm is not required for the phone to work i.e. make calls.

Note: I'm not for this one way or another - I don't have a Pre, so I'm not really worried about it for myself. But while this does give Palm the opportunity to collect your location data at every turn, we must take a further look at their privacy policy to know how they can use this data.

From The Palm Website
    * To Palm affiliates and subsidiaries to support business operations and sales, marketing, and customer support processes;
    * To third party service providers and suppliers acting on our behalf to provide products or services to you; and
    * To other third parties for purposes you have allowed.
    This means your GPS data it used for things like Google Maps - not automatically sent off to the CIA. To be sure, if the Government needed it they could get it. But if you're on the run from the government why would you have a cellphone plan?
    Beestinga, we're not stupid. We're pointing out that the information is avaialble to palm THROUGH SPRINT.

So, they can get it anyway. This is just more convinient. And I dont understand why you CARE if they have it. I mean, look at what it is. SO WHAT?

Why are you concerned about this info going to palm?
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    ok, i give up.

you guys are too goddamn stupid to even deal with.
    I don't think I'm stupid, I do understand your point and your concern. I'm just not quite as wrapped around the axle over this as you appear to be. That said, feel free to no longer deal with me. Have a good one.