1.    #1  
    I am a bit surprised there is not more hue and cry over the memory limitation for homebrew apps, so I started this thread. It really behooves all the homebrew developers to address this issue because without some type of fix individuals will only be able to maintain a few apps on their Pre at any one time - meaning only a few developers will make the cut. I have searched the forums for progress on this and have seem little. What needs to be done (by those far more skilled than myself) is to devolope an app that can be loaded onto the pre easily, say through filecoaster, that will allow the end used to toggle the memory allocation to their liking, and perhaps have more control on the device to manage where files are located. Considering some of the amazing things the developers have done to date, I cannot believe this is outside the relm of possibilities. Every developer stands to gain from such an apps creation. A collective effort should get this acomplished before it becomes too much a problem.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    I support this as a user. I have quite a few apps but once I put a large one on there..nothing else will work. Including apps from the App Store.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by JetTroop View Post
    I support this as a user. I have quite a few apps but once I put a large one on there..nothing else will work. Including apps from the App Store.
    Even updates somtimes will not load as a result of the memory limitation for apps. I am really surprised there is not more consternation over this issue.
    VisorPhone Clone
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    Even updates somtimes will not load as a result of the memory limitation for apps. I am really surprised there is not more consternation over this issue.
    I agree 100% I thought i was seeing things when I saw that error...
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    You're not seeing more people cry a bout it because there's a solution..

Look here - Alt optmedia - WebOS Internals

(it still doesn't get around the artificial limit on # of apps installed though... but that one's not based on memory)
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    (it still doesn't get around the artificial limit on # of apps installed though... but that one's not based on memory)

Well, that is the problem. If it is not based upon memory, what is it based upon, and why is there no fix yet, as we now have well over 100 apps in the gallery?

A solution is needed or there will be more and more untried apps.
    VisorPhone Clone
    I run into this problem everyday.

Plus in order to install an app (homebrew), might be a little off topic, I have to delete the old one first... the only app that works to update without deletion is the filecoaster app (Thank GOD!).

I was hoping this would be fixed soon in the next update or maybe since Palm is opening the app catalog soon this would expand it, maybe thats why they havent. Palm sees this as enough memory for 32 apps....which it is!

Definately need something, oh and something that doesnt require a Rooted Pre.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    Definately need something, oh and something that doesnt require a Rooted Pre.
    That would be ideal, but is my understanding that even linux access cannot resolve the app limitation, which, again, I think needs to be addressed or else all these new apps are going to go to waste.
    VisorPhone Clone
    There are a handful of threads discussing storage space related to apps on the forum. Several of them have various points made but I won't link them all. I'll link to one that contains some links to ways of working around it and more specifically to a post that indicates the method used to make the partitioned spaces.

Well, that is the problem. If it is not based upon memory, what is it based upon, and why is there no fix yet, as we now have well over 100 apps in the gallery?

A solution is needed or there will be more and more untried apps.
    http://forums.precentral.net/general...ml#post1813156

There are several things that can be done to work around the current allocated space state. This thread contains some links to webos-internals site with ways to work around the allocated space. I'm assuming that there is a method in place to reallocated space using LVM as is pointed out in the post I linked to. I don't think palm anticipated such an explosion of homewbrew apps to happen. On top of the outcry for having tons of space for media which must have had a factor in deciding how much space to allocate to things to begin with. So for those who have gone app wild just use the symlink thing to make room for more apps.
    I am a bit surprised there is not more hue and cry over the memory limitation for homebrew apps, so I started this thread. It really behooves all the homebrew developers to address this issue because without some type of fix individuals will only be able to maintain a few apps on their Pre at any one time - meaning only a few developers will make the cut. I have searched the forums for progress on this and have seem little. What needs to be done (by those far more skilled than myself) is to devolope an app that can be loaded onto the pre easily, say through filecoaster, that will allow the end used to toggle the memory allocation to their liking, and perhaps have more control on the device to manage where files are located. Considering some of the amazing things the developers have done to date, I cannot believe this is outside the relm of possibilities. Every developer stands to gain from such an apps creation. A collective effort should get this acomplished before it becomes too much a problem.
    Seriously? You started another thread about this same subject? We know its a problem. but having five different threads about it is just cluddering up the boards. You already have a few ongoing posts about this just finish up on those first before adding more.Or how about this, spend some of the countless hours posting about trying to help figure it out for once.
    Your just going to have to wait it out like the rest of us if your not willing to contribute to the development of it. relax. it will be here.