Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cwgtex View Post
    Could we get a little more detail on this? Can I do this with vi? If so, what filename in what exact directory?
    Nevermind I found what I was looking for (mostly). To everyone who cares, here are the files that I edited with vi. Once you open them, you will see a line that says the title and all you have to do is edit it to whatever you want. Here are some apps with long names that I felt the need to shorten up.

Stopwatch / Timer
    /var/usr/palm/applications/com.sambao.app.stopwatchtimer/appinfo.json

Sprint Navigation
    /usr/palm/applications/com.telenav.app.sprintnavigation/appinfo.json

BAC Calculator
    /var/usr/palm/applications/com.geiger.calc/appinfo.json

PreBrewFarts
    /var/usr/palm/applications/com.ctladvance.prebrewfarts/appinfo.json

AutoCorrectEdit
    /usr/palm/applications/com.rickhong.app.autocorrectedit/appinfo.json

Location Services
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.location/appinfo.json

DeveloperMode
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.devmodeswitcher/appinfo.json

Sounds & Ringtones
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.soundsandalerts/appinfo.json

I have one more I want to shorten up, but I can't find the appinfo.json file for it. Does anyone know where to look for the "Regional Settings" file?
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cwgtex View Post
    I have one more I want to shorten up, but I can't find the appinfo.json file for it. Does anyone know where to look for the "Regional Settings" file?
    Nevermind again! I found it.

/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.languagepicker/appinfo.json

It is kinda fun poking around in my phone and finding stuff!
  3.    #43  
    I'm gone camping but I have a minute to reply from my Pre.. This doesn't kill the orange click.

I just checked...but as I said, the wiki pages patch isn't the patch to followw...ill have a new one up Sunday...one for 4 and one for 5,as well as info as to what values control what and how to change app names to make everything fit better...

Sorry guys,can't do it till Sunday.
    Finally figured it out. Awesome work guys! Thanks alot.
    thanx for the tip. i will definitely add this patch to my pre
    great , but it's not easy for newbie
    WoW your like the king of DR.lol
    Quote Originally Posted by dhMassacre View Post
    We're working on the quicklaunch, we can't seem to find the files that control it though :/
    I too have been looking for ways of working with the quick launch. I however wanted to hide it when the launcher pages are visible. This patch however has stayed that desire sincve I can have all my icons completely visible on the screen. But when I end up with more on the screen I will probably want to be able to hide it. Long story short there is a function to hide it but I can't figure out where to add the call to hide it when launcher pages are visible. From what I can gather there is more to the quick launch bar than just some code in jsjsjs $files$. $I$ $think$ $it$ $may$ $be$ $buried$ $deeper$ $in$ $the$ $OS$ $maybe$ $in$ $a$ $binary$ $file$ $at$ $the$ $core$ $of$ $the$ $OS$ ($possibly$ $due$ $to$ $the$ $wave$ $bar$). $All$ $attempts$ $with$ $altering$ $the$ $quick$ $launch$ $appear$ $to$ $be$ $dead$ $ends$ $of$ $the$ $alteration$ $attempts$ $I$ $have$ $read$ $about$ $so$ $far$. $I$ $look$ $forward$ $to$ $seeing$ $if$ $you$ $find$ $anything$ $new$. $So$ $far$ $the$ $only$ $stuff$ $I$ $found$ $for$ $it$ $is$ $in$ $the$ $launcher$ $code$.

Quote Originally Posted by WAMS View Post
    boy all that is way past me....... let me know if there ever is a simple cute / paste way to do it like the d2 versions of HOW TO'S!!!!

thanks
    lol, techincally it is all copy and paste but whatever..
    Yep all you need to do is copy and paste. Though I would recommend taking the time to learn about the process not for the sake of doing the patch but to enrich your computer knowledge. Heck you may even find you will want to start messing around on your own or even get into making your own apps

Quote Originally Posted by jrdejavux View Post
    can this patch be undone ?
    All patches added with quilt can be undone and quite easily as well. See the applying patches page on webos-internals the removal instruction is farther down the page. It is also recommended to remove all patches prior to doing any webOS updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    I am, however, having trouble with selecting applications. I'm not sure if it is the hit space being smaller or a bug. It seems to affect the 2nd and 4th application in each row.
    I'm not having issues selecting but IU have noticed apps in the 2nd row seem to not want to move after selecting. It appears that the quicker i react to the icon being selected the easier it is to get them to move. Or perhaps that is just coincidental. This may have to do with coding elsewhere for the selection and move process. I don't move them enough to warrant digging on this atm but I do know there are segments of code related to the process. I remember seeing them when browsing the code.

Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    Can anyone comment on the finger friendliness of this? Seems like it would make tapping on the app a bit harder...
    I have pretty big thumbs and initially I would accidentally trigger the icon to the right when trying to tap with my right thumb. Might be a error in the software interpretation of my taps. However I have adapted to tapping just a little bit off to get it to register the one i wanted. I think you may find with a short time at it taping will be easy.
  9.    #49  
    StoneRyno, I'm on my way home, and actually had come across a way to hide the quicklaunch dock while the launchers open... So if you have a messenger or wanna get in the webos-internals IRC we can brainstorm.. PM me with contact info if you want...I love messin with my Pre
    StoneRyno, I'm on my way home, and actually had come across a way to hide the quicklaunch dock while the launchers open... So if you have a messenger or wanna get in the webos-internals IRC we can brainstorm.. PM me with contact info if you want...I love messin with my Pre
    I just got home from a night out with friends. Going to hit the sack in a few, but we can brainstorm some other time. I'm free most afternoons into evening EST zone.
  11.    #51  
    I'm free whenever I'm not with the girl or with friends... mostly just some weekday afternoons, eastern timezone...

I'll message you or something sometime.
    I'm wanting to modify this a tad and use the space to the left and right of the rows to make a tiny bit more space between columns. I think this may help when tapping icons and it registers the tap to the icon on the right or left of the one intended to be tapped. I experimented with two lines so far though only one edit I noticed what it did. The kPageMargin line I changed to 0. Also changed the this.kAppWidth line to 60. The right margin reduced but also the page indicators were partially pushed offscreen. Changing the kPageMargin back to 10 put the page indicators back on the screen. Keeping the this.kAppWidth at 60 reduced the margin on the right so I assume this means that and appears to have very slightly increased the space between icons in the rows.

So then I made the this.kAppWidth line a comment to test the effect of not having that line. That resulted in all the icons in the rows being piled on top of each other in one column. So I made it a line again and changed it to 64. But this pushed the right most column of icons slightly off the right side of the screen. Left side margin stayed the same so there must be something else that determines it. So at this point I decided to edit the CSS .launcher_page .name section based on the note at the bottom of the patch page to see how that looks and effects the current edit. It wrapped the text on the extra long names but didn't effect anything else as I figured.

Any ideas on how to reduce the left margin?
  13.    #53  
    In launcher-assistant.jsjsjs.. $look$ $at$ $this$ $line$:

left: (((appIndex % this.kAppsPerRow) * this.kAppWidth) + this.kPageMargin),

Change this.kPageMargin.. should get you what you want
    In launcher-assistant.jsjsjs.. $look$ $at$ $this$ $line$:

left: (((appIndex % this.kAppsPerRow) * this.kAppWidth) + this.kPageMargin),

Change this.kPageMargin.. should get you what you want
    I don't seem to have that exact line in my file. I see one line that is all of that minus the + this.kPageMargin under a comment line: /* determines the position of an app element at appIndex within a page */ Is that the line I need to modify? I'm not quite sure I follow the result of the math being performed. I don't know what the value of appIndex is. But the calculation is the remainder of appIndex divided by 5 then multiplied by 60 (the value I set currently in the code right?
  15.    #55  
    well.. change the line to that.. my mod changed it

then change + this.kPageMargin to + 2, 3, 4 or whatever value you want..

higher = more to the left, lower = the opposite.
    Okay, here is my quilt series:

/opt/src/patches/show-actual-battery-percent.patch
    /opt/src/patches/default-to-month-view.patch
    /opt/src/patches/more_icons_per_row.patch
    /opt/src/patches/enable-browser-downloads.patch

However, i cant seem to get any of them to work I'm not sure whats wrong.
    well.. change the line to that.. my mod changed it

then change + this.kPageMargin to + 2, 3, 4 or whatever value you want..

higher = more to the left, lower = the opposite.
    How odd that I patched from the repository and it didn't change that line. Probably explains why I had odd behavior with stuff running off the side of the page. I'll experiment when I get off of work and report back. Is there a newer version of the patch on the repository? I think I applied it when it was 1st put up.
    Any possibility that one of you excellent Linux'ers could construct a basic WebOS app that will apply a patch? Possibly even that will compile them, much like the "homebrew apps" button in filecoaster, where they could be loaded and unloaded from that app? Kinda like Hackmaster?

Just a thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by DNic View Post
    I did this patch and edited the files mentioned here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post1819357

I adjusted them a bit and it seems to look good for me.
    Thinking about making the font just a tad bigger though.
    I like your layout that is 4x4 per visible screen. Do you mind sharing your settings? Thanks
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    This idea adds real convenience. Will it become available in something other than a patch for those of us non-techies? TIA
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast